The Davey Tree Expert Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Davey Tree Expert Company Reviews

Updated May 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • employee owned awesome company to work for (in 9 reviews)

• Very thorough work and makes sure job sites and work environment is always safe (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during the summer months, what office you're at/who is in the management role will greatly impact the experience you have (in 5 reviews)

• Management is disorganized and do not care for work life balance because Davey is all that matters all the time (in 3 reviews)

1. "SAP Business Analyst"

Former Employee - SAP Business Analyst in Kent, OH
    Former Employee - SAP Business Analyst in Kent, OH

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company (More than a year)

Pros

Cool, no pressure, flexible and doesn't have multiple management layers.

Cons

Lack professional attitude and approach to many things.

"Decent enough place to start"

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hired me with no experience. I learned a lot there. Mildly flexible hours. Mass production GIS work.

Cons

Mind numbing repetitive work. Black mold infested work environment. Impersonal middle management. Tech mill.

"If money drives your world - right place for you"

Former Employee - Arborist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Arborist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy selling plant healthcare work, you can do well for yourself

Cons

Sales was not for me, I did not enjoy the uncertainty of having to rely on a commission to be able to save and support myself. Long hours during the summer months, what office you're at/who is in the management role will greatly impact the experience you have

"Lots of variation between offices - the good ones like mine are impossible to beat in our industry."

Current Employee - Sales Arborist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Arborist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mentorship. The sky's the limit for growth. Quite a bit of lateral movement potential if you're an asset. Strong safety culture. In sales, the commission formula is no-nonsense compared to what other companies have.

It feels like a family business because of the employee ownership. When you talk to people who are doing well in other offices, you're happy for them. When you see someone wasting company time or resources, you want them to straighten out because we all depend on the company through the employee stock ownership.

Cons

Some offices lack vision and leadership, so my positive experience where I am may not be the case elsewhere. The company's success is built on every hour being productive which can be exhausting, but I understand why.

6. "Very unorganized training and will dismiss you with no warning."

Former Employee - Utility Tech in Collingswood, NJ
    Former Employee - Utility Tech in Collingswood, NJ

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to do your job, make your own schedule to a certain extent if your managers not a bad person yea

Cons

Management is disorganized and do not care for work life balance because Davey is all that matters all the time.

Advice to Management

Give employees more judgement once they've proven themselves.

"Honest day's work"

Former Employee - Landscape Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Landscape Technician in Baltimore, MD

Pros

This company is a solid company to work for. There is always something to do and a lot of skills that you Learn that will carry you forward.

Cons

Maybe some heat protocols need to be implemented. It was a non stop grind

Advice to Management

Consider those who aren't here on work visas as many of us have other obligations outside of work

"Salary"

Former Employee - Consulting Utility Forester in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Utility Forester in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and get your foot in the door. Great company

Cons

Salaries kinda low, Would like more advancement

9. "Crew lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, highest paid snow removal rate in the city.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Very slow hiring process leads to crews working tons of overtime. Working saturdays and sundays is expected. Local managers don't have any too much help from corporate office. So far I have seen 5 managers in going on 2.5 years. Managers that do get replaced are with outsiders from colorado. Stuff that applies in Florida or ohio or new jersey doesn't really apply in colorado. So by the time they learn how things out here work they have already preformed badly and are being replaced or restructured. Clients have different expectations, climate is different. Being in colorado we are distanced from the corporate office. Honestly doesn't feel like we are part of the davey company. Managers do spend a obscene amount of time reacting to problems they themselves have caused. Basically I have never worked harder in my life to get very little accomplished. And raises and promotions are nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Spend some time observing what colorado is up to. Hire some more labor force. Promote from within colorado. Because those are the guys that will fix the problems the quickest. If you can't afford to give out raises the least you can do is sit down with a manager and his regional manager and give people an atta boy. It would raise moral. Corporate needs to develop a better plan for replacing equipment. We spend more time fixing mowers, trucks, expendable then actually using them. We also need a more streamline SOPs. There also should be a minimum of 2 managers per location a main manager and a production type manager. It is unfair to dump that much work on to one manager and he ends up delegating what he can on hourly worker. That creates horrible moral when we are stuck doing a managers job.

"Wish I didn't have to leave, but family comes first."

Former Employee - Utility Systems Technician in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Utility Systems Technician in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked for this company on a project outside my immediate area. It was a great opportunity for some exercise and learning a different trade. Even though there was a quota to fill, the work was self paced and independent.

Cons

Not great for family life unless you have a well established family and are close to the area in which you live. May have to relocate as projects are not always available in your area.

Advice to Management

As it was probably one of the best jobs I briefly had, I really don't have much of anything to say here.

"Utility Forester"

Former Employee - Consulting Utility Forester in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Utility Forester in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work outdoors, learn about trees, freedom

Cons

Working for SDG&E, no chance for advancement, boredom