The David J. Joseph Company Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2020

4.4
The David J. Joseph Company President Craig Feldman (no image)
Craig Feldman
Pros
  • "The work life balance at DJJ is one of the reasons I was attracted to this company during my job search(in 10 reviews)

• "Great work-life balance, we work hard while we are here but management recognizes we have personal lives outside of the office(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not really a con of DJJ but of the industry as it is hard to attract young talented individuals as scrap isn't perceived as a "cool" or "sexy"(in 7 reviews)

• "Niche industry (Scrap Metal) promotion from within could be limited at times due to roles being industry specific requiring prior experience(in 4 reviews)

1. "DJJ Trader Review"

Current Employee - Brokerage Representative in Charleston, SC

I have been working at The David J. Joseph Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

You’re given a lot of freedom to make your own decisions and take chances to make more money for the company.

Cons

Cyclical business. Sometimes it’s very slow and other times very busy.

April 13, 2020Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time give your feedback. We really do invest a lot in new teammates and give them freedom and autonomy to make decisions and develop their business acumen while at the same time always guiding and training. By nature this industry is cyclical as it follows manufacturing and economic trends, which is why we use slower cycles to continue to develop and strengthen business strategies. Thanks again for your review and stay healthy and safe.

2. "Great company bad local leadership"

4.0
    Former Employee - Nonferrous Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The David J. Joseph Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

corporate structure is great and really encouraging

Cons

Middle Management suffers from nepotism and immaturity

February 6, 2020Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. It was great to hear you valued the corporate structure and found it an encouraging place to work. As a company, we pride ourselves on developing strong management at all levels. I am sorry this was your perception of middle management. We have an open door policy on all matters, so I hope this was something you discussed with your management team prior to leaving the company.

3. "Wonderful Company to Grow and Advance"

5.0

I have been working at The David J. Joseph Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The David J Joseph Company lives by their core values. Safety, Integrity, Respect & Excellence. Teammates are valued and encouraged to take ownership over their careers. You will get out of your career what you put into it and your opinion will always be valued and sought out. One of my favorite things about the company are the people I work with. DJJ has done an excellent job of finding some of the brightest minds in the business that are also very down to earth-a combination that doesn't always go hand in hand. This is a company to look at if you are a self-starter that wants to make an impact!

Cons

The nature of the scrap business is cyclical - the company does a great job of riding these waves but it is a good thing to be mindful of when joining the team.

4. "Great family/work life balance"

5.0

Pros

The work life balance at DJJ is one of the reasons I was attracted to this company during my job search.

Cons

None that I can think of.

June 11, 2019Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the feedback! We are happy to hear your experience with the company has been positive in your first year and you are experiencing a good work life balance. We value open communication and feedback so please always feel free to share with your manager or HR.

5. "Going Down Hill"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant

I worked at The David J. Joseph Company full-time

Pros

Good pay, some nice people.

Cons

New management not working out so well.

June 11, 2019Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the people you worked with at the company. We haven't had any significant management changes in recent time or added outside management and are coming off of a great 2018 but we value feedback and evaluate every exit interview to see how we can make changes moving forward.

6. "Cargo Specialist interview"

I worked at The David J. Joseph Company

Pros

Very professional! Great atmosphere! Honest to what the job would intel.

Cons

None. Everything and everyone was warm and inviting.

May 20, 2019Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Happy to hear you had a great interview experience with us. We truly care that people come in and are put at ease and feel comfortable!

7. "Bad Management"

2.0

I have been working at The David J. Joseph Company full-time

Pros

Can be interesting Job. Fun work if you enjoy scrap metal.

Cons

Horrible upper management. Must be part of boys club to promote. Little care for well-being of employees.

February 11, 2019Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear this is your perception of the management team. DJJ prides ourselves on taking care of our teammates in all areas starting with safety and moving into training, development, benefits and compensation. If you have specific concerns, I encourage you to talk with your direct manager or Human Resources. I am pleased to hear you find the work to be interesting and fun!

"The best company for young ambitious talent."

Current Employee - Commercial

I have been working at The David J. Joseph Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting from the top, they do what they can to make you successful. They are wiling to to take chances and put young talent in top roles of the company. You get real meaningful responsibilities that drive actual business results that are tangible. They don't have paper pushing roles. You come here to work and drive results on the bottom line and when you do, they make sure you are rewarded. The culture is fantastic. Some of my best friends were made working for this company. People come here to work hard and try to elevate others around them.

September 26, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! At our core, we recognize that developing and retaining talent is what is going to enable us to continue to be a best in class organization. We look for ambitious and motivated individuals who want to take a chance in this industry! It is wonderful to hear that you recognize and appreciate this-and also fantastic to hear you appreciate the culture!

9. "Pretty good company to work for"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Charleston, SC

I worked at The David J. Joseph Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are great. Job was great with amazing training. Loved the randomness of my day.

Cons

I have no cons about my job, and immediate management.

September 26, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review and for advice to Management-As a company we always strive to show our teammates what a huge impact they make on a daily basis, but a reminder to continue to do this never hurts! One of the pros you mentioned is something we hear a lot...teammates love the diversity of work that they are able to take on.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Corporate Marketing Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

DJJ offers a great work atmosphere, providing opportunities for continued growth and development. They encourage me to to use my creative skillsets to their fullest and; because of that, my position is very rewarding.

Cons

I would like to see the company become more involved in social media so we can connect better with today's new hires.

June 14, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback! Growth, development and offering rewarding careers are extremely important priorities for DJJ, so it is fantastic that has been your experience throughout your time with the Company! Social media is an area the company wants to continue to expand into. We continue to vet the best options for a company like DJJ and greatly appreciate this suggestion!

Found 50 reviews