The David Project Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 18, 2016

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Incredible Non-Profit Changing the Landscape of Israel Advocacy"

Former Employee - Campus Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Campus Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at The David Project full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- small but extremely dedicated, hardworking, passionate staff
    - organization is constantly innovating and pushing itself to do new and better things
    - they actually track their impact with DATA!! its so empowering and brings so much credibility to the organization
    - nobody else is doing what this organization is doing
    - lots of travel, including to Israel
    - highly supportive management team
    - awesome office in a shared work space (with beer on tap)
    - all travel expenses covered as well as per-diem for food
    - so much opportunity to gain new and varied skills its mind boggling
    - highly collaborative and family feel while also providing individuals with large sense of ownership and independence

Cons

- not always a lot of vertical growth opportunities

"Life-changing"

Former Employee - Campus Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at The David Project full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was really proud to work for The David Project and miss working there every day. I felt supported and encouraged by my managers to do my best work and put my best foot forward, and found a community of hard-working and bright colleagues who I count among my closest friends to this day. You'd be hard-pressed to find an organization like this that openly encourages its employees to take risks, create, and lead. Most importantly, I felt trusted by the people I worked with, and trusted that senior management was making the right decisions, even if they were hard decisions. At the same time, I felt like I was treated as an equal by my supervisors. I grew so much as a person and professional, and am so thankful to have had such wonderful mentorship and exposure to the most incredible people I know.

Cons

I'm hard-pressed to find many negatives in my experience. Of course, you have to understand what your job entails - travel, occasionally working weekends - but it's really up to you to find a work-life balance that works for you. Truthfully, I never found it to be burdensome because I really enjoyed what I was doing.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope.

3. "A great experience"

Former Employee - Campus Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at The David Project full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with passionate people in every level of the organization. We all believed in the mission and the work we did on campus really meant something. While it may have taken some time to become mission aligned, the process was worth it. Having the core values we had made the atmosphere open and fun. I was able to grow as a person and a professional and working there has led me on my path today. I feel more prepared for the real world today than I did 3 years ago and that is because of my time at The David Project. The work-life balance is tough, but I was aware of that going in and that should not be seen as a negative. I also had great benefits and a competitive salary.

Cons

This is a small organization that goes through some difficult staff turnover. Because it's so small, it is easy to pick up when there are people who are not in line with the mission which can cause tension. Having a few more employees could also be beneficial. It is also hard to grow in the organization, but that is to be expected for its size.

Advice to Management

I would disregard what some of the other reviews say. They are coming from disgruntled former employees who were not a good fit for the organization. Continue to instill the core values that were created a few years ago. Continue to make it an open and honest atmosphere and don't feel like you have to go at it alone. The people who work for the organization want to be there and want it to succeed. It might be beneficial to hire someone part-time to deal with more administrative stuff and allow people more freedom to work with campus.

5. "Cautionary Tale"

Former Employee - Campus Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Sadly, I'm hard pressed for pros about the position that do not involve the students themselves, who I could have worked with via any other organization or Hillel directly.

Cons

All of my thoughts for positive experience have since been removed from the organization. Those who were brilliant, hard-working, true Zionists, creative, and the heart of the organization now serve the community through other roles.

Following a number of mission realignments I think they have the right idea but poor execution. There was a serious division between staff when I was an employee, and the people who remained after me were those with the least knowledge about Israel, the most contempt for the organizational history as Zionist, and a childish outlook on life. I was totally disturbed by the actions of my previous supervisor which could have easily been legally acted against, and the HR decisions to both protect and promote him. Be weary, he is a snake and will put himself before the mission, vision, and organization.

6. "Mission driven organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at The David Project full-time

Pros

Passionate about the mission; fair compensation and room for personal growth

Cons

Lack of funding - always worried about job security
    Too few employees
    Long hours

7. "Incompetent management and little room for growth"

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

Pros

Great benefits with time off for holidays
    Free Snacks
    Great location

Cons

Cons: Little guidance and poor use of marketing tools, Media doesn't trust the company because of its radical roots, and most of the employees are unhappy with their lack of growth.
    -Very high turnover and sketchy past of employees
    - Campus Coordinators are lazy and dont provide any benefit, they play on the internet all day and dont work

Advice to Management

-If you have hard working employees, then recognize them and dont play into the drama of other employees.
    -Be more upfront about information and train employees

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at The David Project as an intern

Pros

Fun, friendly, and exciting. Amazing place to work.

Cons

Not many cons that I could think of.

Advice to Management

None.

9. "great experience"

Pros

great office environment, energetic staff team, focus on mission, awesome cause

Cons

boston is cold... god amount of travel so that can be a pro if u like it

Advice to Management

open florida office

"It's an energetic, collegial organization where coworkers cooperate to achieve common goals."

Pros

Great benefits package; opportunities for professional growth and development; enjoyable, team-oriented environment; easy to share ideas and creativity; flexible schedules

Cons

Sometimes weekend and evening hours are required; great location but commute can be difficult if T is delayed; travel can be frequent (which is bad only if you hate to travel)

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to help staff develop professionally; create more opportunities for collaboration; allow flexible work schedules on a regular basis