The Dolben Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mitchellville, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mitchellville, MD

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Consistency in ensuring procedures are followed

Cons

Processes that are repetitive and out dated.

Nov 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We value your comments and feedback regarding our procedures and processes. We are always looking to update and improve our processes. If you’d... More

2. "Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at The Dolben Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Environment, Opportunities to move up (or around), pay is average

Cons

Rules and Guidelines often built on tradition as a family owned private company

Advice to Management

Tear down the red tape and allow your properties to have more freedom

Nov 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We pride ourselves on being a family owned company and have instilled rules and guidelines that were created with our employees and customers in... More

3. "Property Manager"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dolben offers so much growth to it's employees. I started as a part-time leasing consultant and am now a property manager five years later. The company really feels like family to me and I've loved every property where I've been for a different reason. Love my Dolben experience so much and would definitely recommend working for this company to anyone interested in long-term goals and growth.

Cons

It would be great to have more training for the employees at each level. Policies, procedures, and good practices can be lost when there isn't set training for each position.

Nov 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are enjoying working for Dolben. As you mentioned, Dolben encourages and supports... More

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Dolben Company is a family business, and as such understands that all of its employees have responsibilities outside of the office. They are enormously flexible as long as the job is getting done.

Cons

The benefits could be a little stronger.

"Disappointed"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Used to be a great company. I left for personal reasons and then came back to a completely different company.

Cons

Very low commissions and no bonus. More and more and more work added every time you turn around but no more staff added. No recognition just criticism. Region and upper managers have no clue what goes on at the property and they really don't care. When they do call or come out they just have negative things to say. Tons of red tape to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Remember that you used to be a family oriented company that made employees feel like part of that family.

"Be Rewarded For Your Efforts"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined the Dolben family with no industry experience and was very quickly provided several opportunities to grow my knowledge and earn accreditations. The Dolben Company invests in their employees! Leadership at the site level and regional offices treat you with respect and sincerely care about your growth, personal goals, and life outside of work. If you want to work for a company that will provide you with resources to better yourself as an employee, and value your contributions - you should consider working for The Dolben Company.

Cons

While Dolben continues to grow rapidly and regularly promote from within, there are geographical areas where opportunities for personal career growth can be harder to come by than others.

7. "Leasing"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learnt quite a bit for the job.

Cons

Does not care much about employees......

Advice to Management

Be more sympathetic to employees in time of disasters.

"Great company with great benefits!"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been a Dolben employee for almost ten years and served different roles at different properties. During my time, I have been treated extremely well and felt like a valued employee. Those in the corporate and regional offices know the staff at each property and are extremely nice and helpful. They really go above and beyond to train employees and most definitely promote within.

The benefits are amaaaaaaazing. The health insurance is without a doubt the best I've had and isn't an arm and a leg. They also offer paid holidays and as a thank you, they sometimes close all their offices early the day before a major holiday for their employees to spend time with their family. Even on Halloween, they will close the office early so parents can take their kids trick-or-treating!! How awesome is that?!? The company outings are always a blast and it's nice that they offer summer and Christmas gifts. I've receive a Dolben beach towel, duffle bag, BBQ set and many other gifts. I've never worked for a company that gave their employees gifts before so I am grateful to even receive one! A prior reviewer mentioned a holiday bonus being small but that's absurd. I'm happy to get a gift from them, even if it was only $5! (The gift is a lot higher than $5)

Several reviews mention that Dolben does not promote within but that's not true at all. I was promoted from leasing consultant to assistant property manager within six months. While I've remained in my APM position, I've been asked numerous times when I'll be ready for my own property. Unfortunately I am in an area where we are the only Dolben property but I'm more than okay with that. They're such a great company that I'm happy to stay in my current position.

Thank you Dolben!

Cons

Would like to see higher commissions or higher hourly rates. That's not even really a con but didn't know what else to list!

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything!

9. "Property Manager"

I worked at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Good pay.
    Nice people.

Cons

A lot of paperwork.
    Long hours.

"Assist"

Pros

I don't have at least twenty words for this section. There aren't any pros. This company has a great internet appearance but treats its employees unfair. I can only speak for the mid Atlantic region.

Cons

No promotion
    Low leasing bonus
    Unless you know someone in HR or a regional manager, you better be prepared to work 3x as hard and long to get a promotion.
    Learning that several individuals come into this company as a rover or Pt leasing consultant and get promoted within 4-6 months is extremely disheartening. Especially after being told you need more experience before you promote...even though I was with this company for over 2 years and in this industry for 6. They seem to forget about your resume once you're an employee. Some promotions are for individuals in an exclusive program that only current college students can participate in and others get fsvoryismbc they know ppl within the company.
    Training....on the job training is a joke. My manager has NEVER offered any training or even given me the chance to show what I am capable of outside my job description. I am very disappointed in this company. It definitely has some racial favoritism.

Advice to Management

Allow otj training and training with other property managers.
    Management program should be open to all employees.
    Regional managers should visit properties more often and become more acquainted with staff outside of management.
    Team moral is needed.

Nov 15, 2016

Thank you for your candid feedback although we are disappointed that you feel there are limited growth opportunities and training.

We feel strongly about employee training and require employees to... More