The Dolben Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Deane H Dolben

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company with great benefits!"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been a Dolben employee for almost ten years and served different roles at different properties. During my time, I have been treated extremely well and felt like a valued employee. Those in the corporate and regional offices know the staff at each property and are extremely nice and helpful. They really go above and beyond to train employees and most definitely promote within.

The benefits are amaaaaaaazing. The health insurance is without a doubt the best I've had and isn't an arm and a leg. They also offer paid holidays and as a thank you, they sometimes close all their offices early the day before a major holiday for their employees to spend time with their family. Even on Halloween, they will close the office early so parents can take their kids trick-or-treating!! How awesome is that?!? The company outings are always a blast and it's nice that they offer summer and Christmas gifts. I've receive a Dolben beach towel, duffle bag, BBQ set and many other gifts. I've never worked for a company that gave their employees gifts before so I am grateful to even receive one! A prior reviewer mentioned a holiday bonus being small but that's absurd. I'm happy to get a gift from them, even if it was only $5! (The gift is a lot higher than $5)

Several reviews mention that Dolben does not promote within but that's not true at all. I was promoted from leasing consultant to assistant property manager within six months. While I've remained in my APM position, I've been asked numerous times when I'll be ready for my own property. Unfortunately I am in an area where we are the only Dolben property but I'm more than okay with that. They're such a great company that I'm happy to stay in my current position.

Thank you Dolben!

Cons

Would like to see higher commissions or higher hourly rates. That's not even really a con but didn't know what else to list!

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything!

"Be Rewarded For Your Efforts"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined the Dolben family with no industry experience and was very quickly provided several opportunities to grow my knowledge and earn accreditations. The Dolben Company invests in their employees! Leadership at the site level and regional offices treat you with respect and sincerely care about your growth, personal goals, and life outside of work. If you want to work for a company that will provide you with resources to better yourself as an employee, and value your contributions - you should consider working for The Dolben Company.

Cons

While Dolben continues to grow rapidly and regularly promote from within, there are geographical areas where opportunities for personal career growth can be harder to come by than others.

3. "Property Manager"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dolben offers so much growth to it's employees. I started as a part-time leasing consultant and am now a property manager five years later. The company really feels like family to me and I've loved every property where I've been for a different reason. Love my Dolben experience so much and would definitely recommend working for this company to anyone interested in long-term goals and growth.

Cons

It would be great to have more training for the employees at each level. Policies, procedures, and good practices can be lost when there isn't set training for each position.

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Dolben Company is a family business, and as such understands that all of its employees have responsibilities outside of the office. They are enormously flexible as long as the job is getting done.

Cons

The benefits could be a little stronger.

"Disappointed"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Used to be a great company. I left for personal reasons and then came back to a completely different company.

Cons

Very low commissions and no bonus. More and more and more work added every time you turn around but no more staff added. No recognition just criticism. Region and upper managers have no clue what goes on at the property and they really don't care. When they do call or come out they just have negative things to say. Tons of red tape to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Remember that you used to be a family oriented company that made employees feel like part of that family.

6. "Leasing"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learnt quite a bit for the job.

Cons

Does not care much about employees......

Advice to Management

Be more sympathetic to employees in time of disasters.

7. "Property Manager"

I worked at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Good pay.
    Nice people.

Cons

A lot of paperwork.
    Long hours.

"Assist"

Pros

I don't have at least twenty words for this section. There aren't any pros. This company has a great internet appearance but treats its employees unfair. I can only speak for the mid Atlantic region.

Cons

No promotion
    Low leasing bonus
    Unless you know someone in HR or a regional manager, you better be prepared to work 3x as hard and long to get a promotion.
    Learning that several individuals come into this company as a rover or Pt leasing consultant and get promoted within 4-6 months is extremely disheartening. Especially after being told you need more experience before you promote...even though I was with this company for over 2 years and in this industry for 6. They seem to forget about your resume once you're an employee. Some promotions are for individuals in an exclusive program that only current college students can participate in and others get fsvoryismbc they know ppl within the company.
    Training....on the job training is a joke. My manager has NEVER offered any training or even given me the chance to show what I am capable of outside my job description. I am very disappointed in this company. It definitely has some racial favoritism.

Advice to Management

Allow otj training and training with other property managers.
    Management program should be open to all employees.
    Regional managers should visit properties more often and become more acquainted with staff outside of management.
    Team moral is needed.

The Dolben Company Response

Nov 15, 2016

Thank you for your candid feedback although we are disappointed that you feel there are limited growth opportunities and training.

We feel strongly about employee training and require employees to... More

"Great company to work for and opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Odenton, MD
    Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Odenton, MD

Pros

I have been with Dolben for 15 years. I started as a Part Time Leasing Consultant and worked my way to Assistant Property Manager, Property Manager and now Regional Property Manager. I wholeheartedly disagree with those that say there aren’t any promotional opportunities within Dolben. People are promoted when they have shown both the ability to succeed in their current role and the ability to grow to the next level and when the right opportunity presents itself. This unfortunately does not always occur within the timeline that the employee wants, but that is because senior management does an excellent job of making sure that the individual is a good fit for the job and property.

Dolben prides itself on promoting from within. They also highly encourage referrals from employees (not just from the owners as was previously suggested), as people with a good work ethic tend to surround themselves with others that have the same. At our annual meeting during the NAA conference, those that have been promoted from within are asked to stand…. and the majority of the room stands up.

Educational opportunities are plentiful at Dolben, within the in-house university as well as external NAA sponsored designation classes and MMHA development courses.

Ownership appreciates the sacrifices and dedication of their employees. We are compensated by a fair salary, good benefits, an excellent infrastructure, two employee company outings a year, seasonal gifts, etc. My previous employer “thanked me” by giving me a paycheck and that was it. Dolben is very different and the owners are very grateful to those that work hard to maintain their business.

Many of the employees have been with Dolben for a long time and there is a comfort in knowing there are mentors in-house that can assist you in your growth and whom you can go to for advice when you are unsure of anything. Teamwork and camaraderie are paramount.

In my time at Dolben, I have witnessed time and time again those employees that leave for a few dollars more or “greener grass”….and they always want to come back after they get out there and find that their new company is lacking the structure and culture of Dolben. Do we work hard? Yes, and we take great pride in our work and the customer service we deliver to our residents.

I am proud to be a member of such a great team of professionals.

Cons

I do not have any cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Reputable Property Management Company"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Odenton, MD
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Odenton, MD

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Very little micro-managing.
    Emphasis on education and certifications.
    Well respected in the industry.
    Known for higher caliber employees.

Cons

Salaries are not always competitive nor commensurate with experience.

Advice to Management

While Dolben University is a great idea, it is not always practical. By the time you attend certain classes, chances are you've been in the position for quite some time and had to rely on supervisors and colleagues for training.

Create a Regional Trainer position for new hires and employees in need of additional training. There is a lack of consistency from one property to another.

The Management Training Program is a unique opportunity for growth in the industry. Consider opening it up to more existing employees who, quite often, end up training the employees in the program who then surpass them in career growth. This sends an antipathetic message to employees who are deserving of the same opportunities.