The Dolben Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Deane H Dolben

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company with great benefits!"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been a Dolben employee for almost ten years and served different roles at different properties. During my time, I have been treated extremely well and felt like a valued employee. Those in the corporate and regional offices know the staff at each property and are extremely nice and helpful. They really go above and beyond to train employees and most definitely promote within.

The benefits are amaaaaaaazing. The health insurance is without a doubt the best I've had and isn't an arm and a leg. They also offer paid holidays and as a thank you, they sometimes close all their offices early the day before a major holiday for their employees to spend time with their family. Even on Halloween, they will close the office early so parents can take their kids trick-or-treating!! How awesome is that?!? The company outings are always a blast and it's nice that they offer summer and Christmas gifts. I've receive a Dolben beach towel, duffle bag, BBQ set and many other gifts. I've never worked for a company that gave their employees gifts before so I am grateful to even receive one! A prior reviewer mentioned a holiday bonus being small but that's absurd. I'm happy to get a gift from them, even if it was only $5! (The gift is a lot higher than $5)

Several reviews mention that Dolben does not promote within but that's not true at all. I was promoted from leasing consultant to assistant property manager within six months. While I've remained in my APM position, I've been asked numerous times when I'll be ready for my own property. Unfortunately I am in an area where we are the only Dolben property but I'm more than okay with that. They're such a great company that I'm happy to stay in my current position.

Thank you Dolben!

Cons

Would like to see higher commissions or higher hourly rates. That's not even really a con but didn't know what else to list!

Advice to Management

Thank you for everything!

2. "Property Manager"

I worked at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Good pay.
    Nice people.

Cons

A lot of paperwork.
    Long hours.

"Assist"

Pros

I don't have at least twenty words for this section. There aren't any pros. This company has a great internet appearance but treats its employees unfair. I can only speak for the mid Atlantic region.

Cons

No promotion
    Low leasing bonus
    Unless you know someone in HR or a regional manager, you better be prepared to work 3x as hard and long to get a promotion.
    Learning that several individuals come into this company as a rover or Pt leasing consultant and get promoted within 4-6 months is extremely disheartening. Especially after being told you need more experience before you promote...even though I was with this company for over 2 years and in this industry for 6. They seem to forget about your resume once you're an employee. Some promotions are for individuals in an exclusive program that only current college students can participate in and others get fsvoryismbc they know ppl within the company.
    Training....on the job training is a joke. My manager has NEVER offered any training or even given me the chance to show what I am capable of outside my job description. I am very disappointed in this company. It definitely has some racial favoritism.

Advice to Management

Allow otj training and training with other property managers.
    Management program should be open to all employees.
    Regional managers should visit properties more often and become more acquainted with staff outside of management.
    Team moral is needed.

The Dolben Company Response

Nov 15, 2016

Thank you for your candid feedback although we are disappointed that you feel there are limited growth opportunities and training.

We feel strongly about employee training and require employees to... More

"Great company to work for and opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Odenton, MD
    Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in Odenton, MD

Pros

I have been with Dolben for 15 years. I started as a Part Time Leasing Consultant and worked my way to Assistant Property Manager, Property Manager and now Regional Property Manager. I wholeheartedly disagree with those that say there aren’t any promotional opportunities within Dolben. People are promoted when they have shown both the ability to succeed in their current role and the ability to grow to the next level and when the right opportunity presents itself. This unfortunately does not always occur within the timeline that the employee wants, but that is because senior management does an excellent job of making sure that the individual is a good fit for the job and property.

Dolben prides itself on promoting from within. They also highly encourage referrals from employees (not just from the owners as was previously suggested), as people with a good work ethic tend to surround themselves with others that have the same. At our annual meeting during the NAA conference, those that have been promoted from within are asked to stand…. and the majority of the room stands up.

Educational opportunities are plentiful at Dolben, within the in-house university as well as external NAA sponsored designation classes and MMHA development courses.

Ownership appreciates the sacrifices and dedication of their employees. We are compensated by a fair salary, good benefits, an excellent infrastructure, two employee company outings a year, seasonal gifts, etc. My previous employer “thanked me” by giving me a paycheck and that was it. Dolben is very different and the owners are very grateful to those that work hard to maintain their business.

Many of the employees have been with Dolben for a long time and there is a comfort in knowing there are mentors in-house that can assist you in your growth and whom you can go to for advice when you are unsure of anything. Teamwork and camaraderie are paramount.

In my time at Dolben, I have witnessed time and time again those employees that leave for a few dollars more or “greener grass”….and they always want to come back after they get out there and find that their new company is lacking the structure and culture of Dolben. Do we work hard? Yes, and we take great pride in our work and the customer service we deliver to our residents.

I am proud to be a member of such a great team of professionals.

Cons

I do not have any cons to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Reputable Property Management Company"

I have been working at The Dolben Company full-time

Pros

Very little micro-managing.
    Emphasis on education and certifications.
    Well respected in the industry.
    Known for higher caliber employees.

Cons

Salaries are not always competitive nor commensurate with experience.

Advice to Management

While Dolben University is a great idea, it is not always practical. By the time you attend certain classes, chances are you've been in the position for quite some time and had to rely on supervisors and colleagues for training.

Create a Regional Trainer position for new hires and employees in need of additional training. There is a lack of consistency from one property to another.

The Management Training Program is a unique opportunity for growth in the industry. Consider opening it up to more existing employees who, quite often, end up training the employees in the program who then surpass them in career growth. This sends an antipathetic message to employees who are deserving of the same opportunities.

"Dolben is the best!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Odenton, MD

I have been working at The Dolben Company (More than a year)

Pros

After being with The Dolben Company for over 2 years now, I have witnessed the culture and the care that the company has for its employees. Dolben makes it easy for you to love not only your job, but your career. I started as a part-time Leasing Consultant and part-time Roving Crew. In about a year's time, I was placed permanently as an Assistant Property Manager where I remained for a year and then was promoted to Property Manager as of a month ago. With all that said, I am a product of Dolben promoting from within. I could not have asked for a better support system that I have in my Regional Property Manager (who is the best supervisor that I ever had) and other Property Managers within the company. If you ever feel lost or ever feel afraid that you are asking too many questions, don't ever think that! Of course, there are going to be challenges along the way, but what job doesn't have them? Everyone is there to help. Teamwork is the epitome of Dolben.

Dolben offers great working conditions, good benefits, and is fair with all employees. They truly care about you and want you to succeed and be happy. I look forward coming to work. I have not felt this way about an employer in a very long time - Dolben is one big family!

I take pride in my work and feel empowered at Dolben and know that a difference is being made in the residents' lives.

I am 26 years old and have been in Property Management for over 4 years (I started out in Salisbury, MD as a dual role Leasing Coordinator / APM with my former employer), and I am going to retire with Dolben. No other employer dares to compare!

You will not make a mistake coming to Dolben. They have proven to me time and time again that I am a valued employee and appreciate all the work that I have done.

"The Difference Is Dolben" is absolutely true!

Cons

I do not have any at all.

Advice to Management

Dolben has been in business since 1929, and Management has found their magic that has been working since then! Keep it going!

"90 day review"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

Pros

-Great pay!
    -Location of properties are nice and you can be kept close to home or even live on property.
    -Everyone is friendly and helpful

Cons

At this time I do not have any cons!

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Odenton, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Odenton, MD

I worked at The Dolben Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training! This is about the only pro this company has. They do devote time and money into seeing that all employees receive equal training regardless of your position. Managers, leasing consultants, maintenance and APMs attend the same classes which promotes equal opportunity for advancement.

Cons

There is no growth for current employees. Often many positions become available. This shows employees leave frequently. If you are a current employee and a position becomes available do not expect promotion. You must apply and show interest. They will never just reward you for your experience, performance and skills. Often they hire from outside first and then soften the blow by saying but they will consider you for this lateral position. If you were previously a manager before joining Dolben they will still consider you a "first time manager" when considering you for other positions. They will tell you what you want to hear. Regionals rarely visit their portfolio and believe the computer and manager tell them enough.

Advice to Management

I believe if regionals came around more frequently they would see how things operate at each community. This allows them to see potential in their current employees when opportunities for advancement become available which happens often. Appreciation should be shown to current staff for the good they do within their community.

The Dolben Company Response

Aug 29, 2016

We appreciate your feedback although we are disappointed that you feel there are limited growth opportunities. We have had tremendous growth over the last 18 months which has resulted in many open... More

9. "Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Georgetown, MA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Georgetown, MA

I worked at The Dolben Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strive to make sure prospects and current residents are always taken care of satisfied. Compensate their employees for the work completed.

Cons

There seemed to be a quick turnover for certain positions. This made some things difficult as everyone expects projects and responsibilities to be varied depending on the person.

10. "Anonymous"

Pros

This company invests in its employees. Plenty of training, one on one and in a classroom setting. My supervisor gives me every opportunity to succeed and even if I make a mistake just lets me fix it and move on. He is also flexible if I need to leave early or come in late on occasion to attend my children's school events. I've been here over 10 years and hope to be here for at least 10 more. Lots of longevity and growth opportunities at this company.

Cons

Can't come up with one con for this company. Every job has the occasional bad day, but it's all the good at this company that gets you past it to the good days.