The Douglas Stewart Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Hulan
1 Rating

1. "Great company with friendly atmosphere"

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere with friendly people. There is always something going on like a Bocce Ball tourney, blood drives or special event days. Who wouldn't love Beer Fridays?? Masseuse every other week. Fantastic medical benefits plus neat options like pet insurance. Coworkers have been so welcoming. Company is growing quickly. I'm really happy I joined.

Cons

I can't say there is much to improve upon besides perhaps sprucing up the offices. They look a little dated.

Advice to Management

I like the monthly town halls so we stay informed. Help with cross dept communication.

"Good Solid Company Finding Its Way"

Former Employee - IT Director in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - IT Director in Madison, WI

I worked at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment and friendly people. Lots of people willing to work together as a team to solve things. Not a lot of office politics.

The executives are intelligent and savvy businessmen with a good vision for the company. They are in a good position as far as their niche and market is concerned. Can really grow and flourish if they make the right choices.

Have exciting and interesting environment and products. Lots of fun and energetic projects to work on.

There are a lot of opportunities especially for those not necessarily in high level positions. The company tries to hire from within when they have the talent available.

Executives are trying different strategies to get out of a rut that the company has been in for a few years. I think this has maybe rubbed some people the wrong way, but the question is whether they are/were the right people to have on the bus in the first place. "The way it's always been done" is not being embraced, which can mean some good things for their future.

Lots of smart, loyal people.

Cons

They are a company that specialize in technology, but I don't think they have yet developed a real understanding of how key their technology team is to their success. An understanding of how essential technology should be to every part of their business will help them distinguish themselves from the competition.

I've read some other reviews that I agree... in some ways the environment is not always inclusive and can become very cliquish. Like there are groups/people that think they are more important to the organization than others. Hopefully they can overcome these growing pains and create a culture where everyone knows they are contributing to the success and everyone's place and role is celebrated.

There aren't huge opportunities for those in high-level positions.

Advice to Management

I have three things to suggest to the executives:

1. Know the difference between a really good manager (who is good at organizing people to follow your directions and attain your goals) and a LEADER. You have too many of the former and not enough of the latter.

2. Young and hungry people should be given tons of opportunity. But, your GREATEST asset is an experienced and knowledgeable person who still has not only the drive but the ability to innovate and drive organizational change. When you have someone like that, you don't let them just walk away.

3. Yes, everyone can be replaced, but not every person is replaceable. Provide opportunities for those people you don't want to lose. Don't pigeonhole people. Give them unique opportunities. Create an organization that challenges people and creates performers.

3. "Very happy. Great company."

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are terrific. Far better than I had at any other job. Medical coverage and cost is outstanding! 401K match, vacation time given all up front so if you are new like me you can plan a vacation without taking a year to build up time. There is even pet insurance available! Co-workers are nice and helpful. It has been a good experience. Management are very approachable and 'real' people. I'm soooo happy I accepted a job offer.

Cons

There is a lot to learn quickly. It can be overwhelming at times. A more formalized training program would help.

Advice to Management

Like the monthly update meetings. I want to move up and would like to see career planning internally.

4. "an intern weighs in"

Current Employee - Intern in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Intern in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing infrastructure, facility with very friendly co-workers, East Side Madisonites have excellent access possibilities, In other words, a long bus ride from the West Side.

Cons

A very challenging location for those without a car who has that problem these days? But how many people have epilepsy and can’t drive because of it. (not common, I admit) It’s my fault, I suppose, but a very nice company!

5. "Good and Getting Better Everyday"

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of change, all for the good. Expect 5 stars by year end.

Cons

Working to get the company up-to-date

Advice to Management

Communication

6. "Good company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of good people. Much better atmosphere and communication with new ownership. Like the monthly update meetings.

Cons

Still some dead weight employees that need to go. Some have been here for so long they don't even know its been too long!

Advice to Management

Promote your best and get rid of non producers. Communicate often and consistently.

7. "Great Benefits."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time

Pros

The health insurance is good. There are a lot of good people there, however there are some bad eggs that ruin it for the masses.

Cons

Some of the people there with a lot of tenure have become very complacent and do very little work.

Advice to Management

Take your head out of the sand and get involved in your employee's work life.

8. "Not sure where the future will lead"

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time

Pros

Flexible work/home schedule. Ability to work at home when necessary.
    Some opportunity for advancement.
    Some great people. The team as a whole works very hard to achieve results.

Cons

Lack of strong executive management leadership. Lack of clear direction.
    Salary and benefits aren't very weak when compared to similar positions in other local companies.
    Many employees covering multiple roles due to lack of resources.
    No replacement of positions when people leave.

Advice to Management

Provide a clear business plan with direction. Find ways to better recognize hard work.Create a better management structure. Make decisions and be willing to take risks.

9. "Good but could use improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

Family company
    Flexibility
    At times, a very fun place to work

Cons

Accepts completely unacceptable behavior from some managers
    Refuses to replace under performing employees
    Doesn't value long term employees
    Lack of accountability

10. "Fun place to work. Is improving at a steady pace."

I have been working at The Douglas Stewart Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great variety of design work. Fun place to work. New performance review system in place to determine merit raises

Cons

People are underpaid compared to the average.