The EastWest Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cameron Munter
1 Rating

1. "Great people, nice experience"

Former Intern - STBI in New York, NY
    Former Intern - STBI in New York, NY

I worked at The EastWest Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

To intern at the EWI helps you get to work with experts in foreign affairs and have a general idea how NGO works.

Cons

The internship is basically unpaid, though stipend is provided. Tasks are mostly entry-level, wish there could be more. Inter-team work wasn't quite enough.

2. "Second to none Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The EastWest Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A great organization with great staff and a supportive workplace environment. Working at EastWest exposes you to the cutting edge of US Russia and US China relations at the NGO level. I learned a lot and had fun doing it.

Cons

The Intern stipend could do with an increase, or perhaps an hourly wage. This is wishful thinking given the financial limitations of a non-profit NGO.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on expanding the organization in order to provide more opportunities to retain talent through the internship program with permanent or contract employment later on.

3. "It was ok"

Former Intern - Intern in Mount Sinai, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in Mount Sinai, NY

I worked at The EastWest Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get familiarized with general non profit operations. It is a good place to try, if you want to know if that type of work is for you.

Cons

You have to hound your supervisor in order to get work. Constantly feeling like you are imposing by asking for assignments and general lack of organization were frustrating.

Advice to Management

Have a better plan for interns. Overall improvement in organization and morale adjustment was needed for the entire institute.

5. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The EastWest Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Middle to High turnover for their own employees

Cons

They had around 10 interns staggering to show up in a week. Even though they ask for your feedback, they did not invest in you.

"Great internship!"

Former Intern - Communications in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Communications in New York, NY

I worked at The EastWest Institute as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

You learn so much at EWI! As an intern, the staff, both your immediate team and the rest of the organization, is willing to help with every step of your work. Furthermore, EWI exposes you to some of the most important and pressing topics in foreign affairs today.

Cons

There are not many cons. However, as with most think tanks, the staff is small and, therefore, there isn;t many opportunities for employment.

Advice to Management

HR is really well-run and always there to give advice on the many processes of getting a job; it is really helpful, especially for an intern. The senior management is also great. From your immediate supervisors to officers at the director-level, each employee wants to work with you and makes you feel like a valuable part of the team.

7. "Internship Review"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The EastWest Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of anything good about this internship. I might of well have been fetching coffee.

Cons

Horribly disorganized, no attention was paid to me. It was terrible and a waste of my time.

Advice to Management

I think you need to get your act together and start to actually treat your interns with respect.

Apr 21, 2015 – HR Director

Dear Former Intern, we are very sorry to read that you had a bad experience at the EastWest Institute. All our interns are asked to share their weekly experience with the Internship Coordinator so ... More

8. "EastWest is a think tank with an amazing history and fantastic network that has lost focus."

Current Intern - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at The EastWest Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

outstanding emeritus network, interesting initiatives, multinational, rich history

Cons

Serious management issues are present. Initiatives are driven mostly by new funding prospects to the detriment of institutional integrity and analytic follow-thru. HR is a mess. There is frequent turn-over at mid-level. There is a need for a coherent institutional identity.

Advice to Management

Don't allow funding to dictate frenetic changes in policy focus. Try to get the founder to delegate more effectively. Re-engage your emeritus network for more than fundraising.

9. "A Positive, and Challenging Mission"

I have been working at The EastWest Institute full-time

Pros

This unique non-profit headquartered in New York works with governments and other thought leaders on a global basis to address security issues and reduce conflict. That's exiting, and challenging. So, you feel good when you go to work, and you feel challenged given the size of the problem and the small organization.

Cons

Main downsides are lower salaries (non-profit scale) and heavy workload. You have to believe in it to work there!

Jan 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your comments. We certainly are working hard to have a balanced Total Rewards program and competitive salaries. Just as an example: we will increase entry level salary by approx. 20% by ... More

10. "The Intern-Industrial Complex"

I worked at The EastWest Institute full-time

Pros

Better than poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick.

Cons

Despite their highfalutin rhetoric about changing to world, they are just as bad as every other NGO which function to give its president/board members something pretty to put on their resume and feel important about but does nothing to actually fulfill its mission statement or treat its employees right. If you feel like experiencing the all-encompassing void which is the non-profit industry in 21st century American capitalism, work here. If you want to feel good about yourself or have hope for the future, don't.

Advice to Management

Shut the whole thing down, purge yourselves from the company, or run away from this trash fire if you'd like to retain some dignity.

Jan 23, 2017 – HR Director

We are very sorry that your experience was not a good one. It might have helped if you spoke to somebody and shared your concerns.

11. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The EastWest Institute as an intern

Pros

interesting possibilities but ultimately a poor execution of ideas and projects from the executive level down through the project teams, could really make an impact with its level of endowment

Cons

their mission seems to be poorly organized and the scope and goals of the organization are ultimately unclear, seems to be little opportunity for advancement within the organization

Advice to Management

better organizational structure and a re-framing of the organization's ultimate mission and goals for east-west cooperation, more focus on Russian aspect versus a monopoly of China-oriented policy

Jan 23, 2017 – HR Director

Dear former Intern, We have listened to you and took our time in 2016 to better structure our organization and also re-balanced our mission and goals. Just as a side note I would like to add that ... More