The Famous Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 10, 2017

3.4
Greg Harvey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoyed the people and the work"

Former Contractor - Freelancer
    Former Contractor - Freelancer

I worked at The Famous Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Really enjoyed all the people I worked with while I was there. A great team atmosphere. Many creative projects and great big brand clients.

Cons

None, although the commute from the valley can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Creative companies attract some real characters. Tough to balance artists with people who just want to get work done.

2. "Talent Coordinator"

Current Employee - Talent Coordinator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Coordinator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at The Famous Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees and office management

Cons

No room for advancement, pay is very low below industry standards, constantly mislead about raises and promotions but barely receive any upward mobility

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, reward good work with raises and promotions

3. "Great Place for Motivated People"

Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Famous Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, snacks, fun happy hours, great coworkers, flexible start time, independent work environment. Overall I've truly enjoyed the culture here more than any other company. The management are the kind of people who do not sweat the small stuff, but work very hard to produce professional work. Every person, no matter their position is valued and empowered to make changes to their role or workflow.

Cons

A hard place to work for people who need constant direction or supervision. I have seen people here not fit in to the culture after coming from corporate, strictly structured environments. If you want constant feedback about the job that you are doing, this is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Communication is key with any business. I'd recommend this to all companies, make sure everyone knows ahead of time when big changes are happening. Ensure that staff are communicating fully with each other.

"Famous"

Pros

Fun, creative, work travel, big in to sports. Everyone works together

Cons

Needs better salaries for the team below the EP and Owner. Not always organized.

"Work ANYWHERE but HERE! They dont pay their employees."

I worked at The Famous Group as a contractor

Pros

None.

They are a burn out company that is holding on for dear life. They are losing directors, no one wasn't to sign for a commercial. (All companies I contacted said they didn't want to work with our company because we "cheat") There are no pros except free bagels on Monday...

Cons

Refuse to pay you on time. You have to go search for your paycheck and then contact the California Labor Board for them to even email you back stating they wont pay you.

Hours are long and the staff is worn out. Most of the staff that works there complain about the company and quit within months. The turn around rate is insane.

The CFO will constantly talk to you like a dog and play the run around game for more pay. They will low ball you until you give up and then they will claim that you have to wait 1 more week to receive your paycheck you've been waiting 30 days for.

No one knows how to communicate. It takes accounting 5 emails and 3 phone calls to get back to you on where your pay is. Then they will tell you "you'll get it eventually".

My advice to anyone thinking about working there. DONT. You can find a job anywhere else for minimum wage and be treated like a human being not free labor. They claim they are on a net 30 so when you quit or they fire you they don't have to pay you your last 30 days of work.

Please work anywhere but there. They cant get their stuff together. Or if you do work there get everything in writing and be sure to have a legal team by your side.

I also heard they are not licensing their music so I wouldn't want to be there when that catches up to them.

Advice to Management

Just quit while your ahead and move onto your next burn out project.

"Great projects"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Top-notch staff. Solid high-profile projects. Nice group of people. Enjoyed working with everyone. Looks like they are growing and building up staff.

Cons

Workload can get very busy at times. A far of a commute for me coming from long beach. Otherwise a good place to freelance.

"Sloppy"

I worked at The Famous Group as a contractor

Pros

Just 3 people who work their and the dog

Cons

Low pay long hours. A joke to work with, they take forever to pay. Accounting department will never return emails you have to show up at the office to get anything done.

All employees are depressed and hard to work with because they seem trapped. Just dont accept work there.

8. "Exciting things happening here"

I worked at The Famous Group as a contractor

Pros

I was part of a new team taking on unique and creative challenges that nobody else seems to be tackling. The team moves quickly, so I was able to learn a lot during my short stay.

Hours were reasonable, the company provides amenities for employees, and the staff is always super nice and helpful.

Cons

None other than the long commute.

Advice to Management

Keep on innovating!

9. "Great people and great projects"

Current Employee - Programmer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Culver City, CA

Pros

I have come back again and again to take on contracts here. Great people to work with and they have a great list of high profile clients requesting interesting projects

Cons

The 405 can be a problem some days ... welcome to every freeway in LA

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"BURNOUT company - literally heard CEO say "churn and burn""

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

A very creative company that produces some beautiful work. A great opportunity to grow a career in a very specific field of work.

Cons

- long hours
    - they always try and negotiate your rate down as low as possible
    - owner of the company allows his own dog to be at the office but doesn't allow others to bring in their dogs. Kind of shady because they promote that they are a pet friendly shop and have puppy days....
    - a lot of negative talk about projects and clients around the office
    - no communication between departments
    - no communication within departments
    - they promote an environment of learning but do not follow through
    - little to no light in the majority of the offices

Advice to Management

Hire real producers. Work on structure and procedure. Improve the company morale so that you won't lose more valuable team members.