The Florida Times-Union Reviews | Glassdoor

The Florida Times-Union President and Publisher Mark Nusbaum
Mark Nusbaum
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Inspiring & fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They encourage the sales staff with fun incentives and activities. The company also invests time & energy into weekly training focused on digital. You are always surrounded by leaders that are truly invested in the growth and success of the company. They want to see you win and grow in your career. The company also likes to hire from within when promoting people to new roles. Hard work is noticed and rewarded! The management team works tirelessly to make solutions, products & processes better. They truly feel that winning should feel different and focus on the superstars on the sales floor.

Cons

The #1 focus in the sales department is revenue and customer growth. Be prepared to be held accountable to your revenue goals and the weekly plan you have to get there. Sounds like sales, but I'm always surprised by how many people are shocked by that. Expect accountability.

Advice to Management

Continue to award people that work hard.

Jul 13, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear your job in advertising is "inspiring & fun." We value feedback from our employees and encourage... More

2. "Client Service Spec"

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

Great team
    Company gave me a better appreciation for Jacksonville history

Cons

Lots of turnover within the department
    Sales support not offered extra or achievable incentives
    Low pay but high workload

Advice to Management

Notice when you are just piling work on top of an employee and not asking what their workload is already like and not offering anything in return. Some employees really care and will run with it but it’s hard to keep a good attitude when they aren’t recognized for that hard work and determination or rewarded at all from it. Also work on paying your employees a livable wage...

3. "Lots of layoffs"

Former Employee - Sys Op in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sys Op in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Florida Times-Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job if that is all you are looking for.

Cons

No pay raises the last 10 years I was there. Actually there were pay cuts.

Advice to Management

You should have tried harder to keep the most talented workers

4. "Used to be a good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the nineties when times where flush and print was king it was a great place to work

Cons

Once the economy tanked it was a horrid place to work. They downsized every year from 1100 employees down to 200.

Advice to Management

Stop having so many managers and so few worker bees. Quit forcing out the older workers.

"Don't even consider it..."

Former Employee - Digital Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will give you shot at business ...
    Access to Google Certifications....

Cons

1. I was dismissed 4.5 weeks after surgery, while undergoing treatment for a growth that was found in my neck in mid August.
    2. I returned from surgery early (lack of sick days), and therefore was experiencing extreme discomfort --I was put on a corrective action 3 days after my return. There was 0% empathy from senior management.
    3. I was dismissed two weeks before I could legally file for FMLA.
    4. The position has a 100% turn over rate. If they tell you different - the are lying.
    5. No digital Sales Rep has ever lasted there selling digital only product longer than 13 months; I lasted 11.5, That is compounded by the fact that you sign non-compete, effectively blocking you from the industry after they've termed you.

My last words to management ' I can't believe an organization of this size
     would pile onto the stress levels of a person, that is currently under going
     treatment.' Was I to stress more over my failing health, or the threats of a job
     to release me? I still can't believe the way I was handled.

Advice to Management

The guy that they have communicating with staff is just a horrible, horrible person. There is absolutely nothing ingratiating or endearing about his personality. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the guy is abusive in the way that he handles employees. ... Recently a co-worker literally quit, rather than have to go through the abusive meeting with the guy. He lacks the personality to manage people - yet he manages.

6. "Very happy to have been provided this opportunity"

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

If nothing else, it's the best networking opportunity there is for someone just out of college. Times Union is plugged into the Jacksonville community. Management is supportive and is willing to provide the tools you need to learn.

Cons

If you are unable to stand alone and still be successful in a disorganized environment with a high rate of turnover it probably is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners and underutilizing your strong employees.

"Do Something Else"

Former Employee - Editor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Editor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful employees working really hard to serve the community and produce a good products

Cons

No support from ownership, too few people doing too much work, poor pay, readers no longer seem to care. It's a leaky raft in a rising sea.

Advice to Management

Value you what your human capital.

"Media Sales Rep Review"

Current Employee - Media & Advertising Consultant, Classified Real Estate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company does a great job of educating it's reps thoroughly in all the products and services we sell. This gives me the confidence to really understand what I'm selling and I never feel I'm selling "Igloos to Eskimos." Additionally, management does a great job rewarding success with positive encouragement and recognition which adds an additional layer of motivation beyond just financial motivation. It's nice to work towards both.

Cons

This certainly only qualifies as a 'con' to some, but the job does take focus, dedication, and personal discipline. I tend to think of that as more as a challenge rather than a 'con'.

Advice to Management

Only to continue the special recognition of particularly hard work or a job really well done. I know it goes a long way towards moral not only for me, but also for others.

Jul 6, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you're enjoying your experience in advertising at Times-Union Media. If you have any further feedback... More

9. "Great place to develop a sales career if you are willing to work hard"

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

Sales contests, points for digital dollars cashed into prizes, trips, cash, quarterly spa day, days off and uncapped commission. Lots of training and support to do your job. Great co-workers who care about each other and help you find success.

Cons

Old building, but in a great location. Sales is tough and it can be hard at times. Have to stay positive and focused on goals. Turnover can be high if you can't sell. High level of accountability, but it has helped me find success and make money.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop sales contests and rewards to encourage hard work from top performers.

Jul 6, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you're enjoying the sales perks in advertising at Times-Union Media. If you have any further... More

"Marketing"

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

Most of the people were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Too many to list.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like they count as a human being. Tell the truth. Take responsibility for your own mistakes. Stop blaming others.

Aug 14, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and would welcome additional suggestions on how we can improve. If you have any further feedback to share, please email... More