The Florida Times-Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very happy to have been provided this opportunity"

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

If nothing else, it's the best networking opportunity there is for someone just out of college. Times Union is plugged into the Jacksonville community. Management is supportive and is willing to provide the tools you need to learn.

Cons

If you are unable to stand alone and still be successful in a disorganized environment with a high rate of turnover it probably is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners and underutilizing your strong employees.

2. "Do Something Else"

Former Employee - Editor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Editor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful employees working really hard to serve the community and produce a good products

Cons

No support from ownership, too few people doing too much work, poor pay, readers no longer seem to care. It's a leaky raft in a rising sea.

Advice to Management

Value you what your human capital.

"Inspiring & fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They encourage the sales staff with fun incentives and activities. The company also invests time & energy into weekly training focused on digital. You are always surrounded by leaders that are truly invested in the growth and success of the company. They want to see you win and grow in your career. The company also likes to hire from within when promoting people to new roles. Hard work is noticed and rewarded! The management team works tirelessly to make solutions, products & processes better. They truly feel that winning should feel different and focus on the superstars on the sales floor.

Cons

The #1 focus in the sales department is revenue and customer growth. Be prepared to be held accountable to your revenue goals and the weekly plan you have to get there. Sounds like sales, but I'm always surprised by how many people are shocked by that. Expect accountability.

Advice to Management

Continue to award people that work hard.

Jul 13, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear your job in advertising is "inspiring & fun." We value feedback from our employees and... More

"Media Sales Rep Review"

Current Employee - Media & Advertising Consultant, Classified Real Estate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company does a great job of educating it's reps thoroughly in all the products and services we sell. This gives me the confidence to really understand what I'm selling and I never feel I'm selling "Igloos to Eskimos." Additionally, management does a great job rewarding success with positive encouragement and recognition which adds an additional layer of motivation beyond just financial motivation. It's nice to work towards both.

Cons

This certainly only qualifies as a 'con' to some, but the job does take focus, dedication, and personal discipline. I tend to think of that as more as a challenge rather than a 'con'.

Advice to Management

Only to continue the special recognition of particularly hard work or a job really well done. I know it goes a long way towards moral not only for me, but also for others.

Jul 6, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you're enjoying your experience in advertising at Times-Union Media. If you have any further feedback... More

5. "Great place to develop a sales career if you are willing to work hard"

I have been working at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

Sales contests, points for digital dollars cashed into prizes, trips, cash, quarterly spa day, days off and uncapped commission. Lots of training and support to do your job. Great co-workers who care about each other and help you find success.

Cons

Old building, but in a great location. Sales is tough and it can be hard at times. Have to stay positive and focused on goals. Turnover can be high if you can't sell. High level of accountability, but it has helped me find success and make money.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop sales contests and rewards to encourage hard work from top performers.

Jul 6, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you're enjoying the sales perks in advertising at Times-Union Media. If you have any further... More

6. "Marketing"

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time

Pros

Most of the people were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Too many to list.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like they count as a human being. Tell the truth. Take responsibility for your own mistakes. Stop blaming others.

Aug 14, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and would welcome additional suggestions on how we can improve. If you have any further feedback to share, please email... More

"Good people there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

I worked at The Florida Times-Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good people who care about what they do. Good vacation policy.

Cons

Same as with many in the newspaper business. Dwindling revenue means cuts.

Jul 5, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share, please email us at... More

8. "Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Media Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Florida Times-Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't think there are any pros.

Cons

Horrible place. Worst time of my life. Bad bosses. Low pay. Wouldn't let me move up in company need a year. Co-workers were not pleasant. Wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy. Just saying take the risk if you want to.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about the trivial things and look at the big things. Might help you since you have so much turn over.

Jul 5, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd like to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at myfeedback@jacksonville.com.

9. "Newsroom shrinking away"

Pros

People who are left are positive and work hard under the circumstances of a shrinking industry.

Cons

The industry and jobs are quickly shrinking. No raises, lots of downsizing.

Advice to Management

Hang on as long as you can

"Keep looking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Being able to come and go. Contests to make extra money. Friendly people and willing to help.

Cons

Hard to make money. Favoritism. Negative competition. Old building. Being bought out and down sizing soon. Mold on Mold.

Advice to Management

Too many sales reps with negative attitidues that constantly cross each other and contact working clients

Jul 5, 2017 – Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback . We'd love to learn about your experience and hear your suggestions on how we can improve. Please email us at myfeedback@jacksonville.com.