The Franklin Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Great Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Had a great internship there. Really learned a lot. Not really any complaints about the work.

Cons

The internship was an unpaid position, which is difficult to work unpaid as a student but that's my only complaint.

2. "Just sharing information that I wish I was told when I was a new member and feedback to management."

Former Employee - Greeter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Greeter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice perks, ok salary. Meeting & greeting new faces everday is the most rewarding part of being a Greeter. Something new happens everyday, so you won't get lost in the same old boring routine. People of all ages can learn while having fun at the exhibits, events and demonstrations.

Cons

Management isn't the best, lack of communication, lots of standing, crazy scheduling, no where to progress, Exhibits or something in the building is always needing some kind of repairs.

Advice to Management

A place that I onced loved is now a place that I dislike and have no intentions on ever revisiting. First off, Human Resources suck! They fail to help with certain issues. When you sign up, they'll ask for your availability. Once you're hired, they will make up a schedule completely opposite of what you said you were available for. If you're working in the guest services department, beware that they will not inform you about extended hours in the summertime and schedule you for events without asking or informing you about sometimes during after hours.

Training is terrible as well. New people will shadow current employees to learn what has to be done, but not everyone does what is supposed to be done properly. This is bad for the new comers because you'll start doing what you were shown, not knowing it's wrong and get in trouble for it. You will be on your feet for long periods of time, and have to ask to move or go to the restroom with their stupid, old broken walkie talkies that aren't available for each employee and DON'T WORK. You are not allowed to sit. All employees get a paid 15 minute break/ 30 minute lunch. Standing at certain exhibits can get boring at times. Your director & floor managers will be watching your every move on the security cam and will be doing pop ups to check on everyone to see if you're doing your job. It's annoying to have someone on your neck every 5 seconds.

Communication is a big issue. There's always some sort of information that isn't shared with each department which causes confusion with employees and we have to deal with hostility from irate customers. There's always something broken or not properly working! For the price that they charge for admission, everything should be updated & in tip top shape.

Overall, working here has it's perks, but the cons and drama with senior employees isn't worth dealing with for such a dead end position. Hopely The Franklin Institute can start being more organized, efficient & caring more about the customers and the people who work at the box office and as greeters.

3. "Senior leadership has bailed"

Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good, passionate people! Supportive co-workers, surrounded by science and history.

Cons

All of the best leaders (Directors and VP's) left within the last three years. Senior leadership is a shell of what it once was and no one seems to agree on the direction of the Institute, the mission or the goals. Leadership no longer focuses on mission.

Advice to Management

Please do something about the HR department. It's beyond terrible.

5. "Youth Programs"

Current Employee - Special Projects in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Special Projects in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Franklin Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly people
    Fast Paced Environment
    Tech Oriented
    Teaching Abilities

Cons

Lack of Leadership
    Agents of Change - don't influence change
    Non-Profit - less determined to be productive
    Low Retention - employees come and go continuously (rarely stable faces)\
    Low Moral

Advice to Management

Find new management

6. "Console Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at The Franklin Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am able to obtain the work as well as complete my own personal projects. The other employees are nice to work with as well.

Cons

The hours are short, and the hourly rate is minimal. There is not room to excel or reach a higher potential.

Advice to Management

The organization could be better as well as the communication amongst employees and managers. There should be more opportunities for people that have already been there for some time.

7. "Interning at TFI"

Former Employee - Intern in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Phila, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees more than willing to let you jump in and help with projects. I ran an entire project by myself for my department's participation in the Philadelphia Science Festival. Employees more than willing to help me as references for future jobs.

Cons

Sometimes communication between departments seemed to be missing. It didn't seem like opportunities to join the team as an actual employee were available often

8. "Love me job!!"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

flexible hours, positive environment, Friendly coworkers

Cons

departmental communication needs some work

9. "MIS Intern"

Former Employee - MIS Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - MIS Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work, friendly environment and free access to the museum

Cons

Not that much to do sometimes and no room for advancement

"Good. But could be better."

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time

Pros

Passionate museum educators. Incredible special exhibits. Many staff members have a true commitment to science education. No one does hands-on science like TFI.

Cons

Managers could benefit from training to learn how to best motivate their teams. Lots of time and work is spent on projects that never come to fruition. Does not really function like a traditional non-profit (lots of emphasis on margin).

Advice to Management

Offer professional development opportunities for employees. Hold 360 degree reviews for performance feedback on managers. HR should brush up on best practices and adapt to a changing work environment (flex schedule, work from home, relaxed dress, etc.)

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to interact with a lot of senior management and learn about the business operations of the museum. I was given a lot of responsibility and enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

I frequently heard complaints about lack of communication, confusion and questioning of management choices. I experienced some issues with the HR department, and was not the only person who felt that department was not managed properly.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your organizational choices. Think about who is going to be affected, not just the bottom line, and communicate with them. Get HR under control.