The Franklin Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Summer Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encouraging critical thinking and leading fun science activities for children is both rewarding and thoroughly enjoyable, so working as a summer camp counselor is very rewarding.

Cons

Working with children for 8 hours is as exhausting as it is in any context, and while the Franklin Institute's exhibits are thrilling and fun the first several times through, the excitement wears off for the counselors as the summer wears on.

2. "weak leadership"

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very rewarding place to work, get directly involved with kids, families, visitors, cool unique projects

Cons

If you care a lot about your job, management knows they can take advantage of you. You'll have mediocre pay, ridiculous hours or be way overloaded and you'll either leave or wish things could get better but they never do. It's a nice job. It's not a career.

Advice to Management

Management wants to say the Franklin Institute is a social force for good but it's an open secret that being profitable is more important to management than science or education. If they don't change that attitude, they'll lose everyone everything.

3. "Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative I
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Representative I

I worked at The Franklin Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn about the different programs at the museum

Cons

The pay could be much better and the break times could be a little longer.

4. "Just sharing information that I wish I was told when I was a new member and feedback to management."

Former Employee - Greeter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Greeter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice perks, ok salary. Meeting & greeting new faces everday is the most rewarding part of being a Greeter. Something new happens everyday, so you won't get lost in the same old boring routine. People of all ages can learn while having fun at the exhibits, events and demonstrations.

Cons

Management isn't the best, lack of communication, lots of standing, crazy scheduling, no where to progress, Exhibits or something in the building is always needing some kind of repairs.

Advice to Management

A place that I onced loved is now a place that I dislike and have no intentions on ever revisiting. First off, Human Resources suck! They fail to help with certain issues. When you sign up, they'll ask for your availability. Once you're hired, they will make up a schedule completely opposite of what you said you were available for. If you're working in the guest services department, beware that they will not inform you about extended hours in the summertime and schedule you for events without asking or informing you about sometimes during after hours.

Training is terrible as well. New people will shadow current employees to learn what has to be done, but not everyone does what is supposed to be done properly. This is bad for the new comers because you'll start doing what you were shown, not knowing it's wrong and get in trouble for it. You will be on your feet for long periods of time, and have to ask to move or go to the restroom with their stupid, old broken walkie talkies that aren't available for each employee and DON'T WORK. You are not allowed to sit. All employees get a paid 15 minute break/ 30 minute lunch. Standing at certain exhibits can get boring at times. Your director & floor managers will be watching your every move on the security cam and will be doing pop ups to check on everyone to see if you're doing your job. It's annoying to have someone on your neck every 5 seconds.

Communication is a big issue. There's always some sort of information that isn't shared with each department which causes confusion with employees and we have to deal with hostility from irate customers. There's always something broken or not properly working! For the price that they charge for admission, everything should be updated & in tip top shape.

Overall, working here has it's perks, but the cons and drama with senior employees isn't worth dealing with for such a dead end position. Hopely The Franklin Institute can start being more organized, efficient & caring more about the customers and the people who work at the box office and as greeters.

"Senior leadership has bailed"

Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good, passionate people! Supportive co-workers, surrounded by science and history.

Cons

All of the best leaders (Directors and VP's) left within the last three years. Senior leadership is a shell of what it once was and no one seems to agree on the direction of the Institute, the mission or the goals. Leadership no longer focuses on mission.

Advice to Management

Please do something about the HR department. It's beyond terrible.

6. "Youth Programs"

Current Employee - Special Projects in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Special Projects in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Franklin Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly people
    Fast Paced Environment
    Tech Oriented
    Teaching Abilities

Cons

Lack of Leadership
    Agents of Change - don't influence change
    Non-Profit - less determined to be productive
    Low Retention - employees come and go continuously (rarely stable faces)\
    Low Moral

Advice to Management

Find new management

7. "Great Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Had a great internship there. Really learned a lot. Not really any complaints about the work.

Cons

The internship was an unpaid position, which is difficult to work unpaid as a student but that's my only complaint.

"A fun place to work but very unattentive management"

I worked at The Franklin Institute part-time

Pros

I got to see all of the new exhibits coming in and out of the museum, I got to be part of the programs and events going on.

Cons

However, most of the events i was part of, I never agreed to do. People are not scheduled or over scheduled on a DAILY basis. I dont even know why the management asks us what days we want to work, because we will be scheduled or not scheduled on whatever days they feel like.

Advice to Management

Think about the treatment of the floor employees, without them the museum would not run.

"Franklin Institute Customer service"

Pros

Working at the Franklin Institute was a great experience. Friendly people and co-workers helped to build my customer service and management skills.

Cons

Not enough hours during the off-peak times. Often a lot of down time.

Advice to Management

Figure out some more incentives for those employees with seniority and help with retention. Be cognizant of hours and salary. Keep up the good work!

10. "One of the Best places I've worked"

I worked at The Franklin Institute full-time

Pros

Great supervisory team, different exhibits keep it interesting, fun interacting with the public

Cons

Long lines tend to leave irate customers, but it's nothing that can't be handled with good customer service skills.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire from various universities throughout the city leaving room for diversity amongst the staff. It was very nice to work with people from so many different walks of life.