The Fresh Market Reviews | Glassdoor

The Fresh Market President and Chief Executive Officer Richard Anicetti
Richard Anicetti

1,182 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The good 'ole boy network is prevalent with upper management promotions (in 71 reviews)

• Store Managers are micromanaged (in 68 reviews)

"Info"

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time

Pros

Great employees to work with.

Cons

None to share at this time.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the opportunities

Mar 22, 2017 – Candidate Experience Specialist

It’s always great to hear that our people are enjoying their work place. Thank you for your review! Building a positive work environment starts with great people like you! Keep up the great work!

2. "Bakery Associate"

Pros

Great environment, great employee discount

Cons

Long shifts, often were short on employees

Mar 22, 2017 – Candidate Experience Specialist

3. "Clerk"

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

Good place with friendly people

Cons

Low pay and not enough advastment

"Good Intentions"

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Paid Training
    Hours
    Can be a fun atmosphere
    Morning Huddles creates better communication

Cons

Job comes first no matter what
    Very hard to get time off as a full timer even for family events

Advice to Management

Don't overlook those who are trying to get a management position for those who may qualify on paper

Mar 14, 2017 – Sr. Lead Recruiter

It’s always great to hear that our people are enjoying their work place. Thank you for your review! Building a positive work environment starts with great people like you! We want you to be the ... More

"Room to Grow"

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours, Locations, Atmosphere, Customers, Good Training Program

Cons

Management, Accountability, Scheduling, Employees Negativity

Advice to Management

Stop hiring just anyone to work! Take the time to find people who actually care enough to show up on time, to work overtime when necessary, to not bad mouth the company 24/7. Hold everyone to the same standard and hold everyone accountable!

7. "Three Card Monty"

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

20% discount for part-time and full-time

Cons

I been with The Fresh Market for 4 years and Movement for woman in store management is very low, the all boys club is real.

Advice to Management

If a store has a high turn over rate look at how management works with there employee and running your stores.

"Receiving"

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

Decent pay for entry level position, many of the staff members are a blast to get to know and work for. The employee discount is great as well as convenience to go grocery shopping right after your shift.

Cons

On the corporate level, its seems like mommy and daddy from corporate get to employ their kids (three worked at my store) and seem to be treated considerably better than others. Conflict of interest must not be a consideration here. Corporate is an absolute disaster, no organization, and also you would think that for a company that promotes health, the individuals from corporate would at least be in shape. 90% or more were obese and quite frankly hurting the image the store represents. Corporate likes to visit multiple times weekly and change everything that was just planned. Also if you are a veteran, dont work here. You will be targeted by extremely liberal "opened minded" employees and mistreated, and your lack of absolute FEAR for investors coming to the store will cause management to run around like scared children and completely throw off your work day by shadowing you and telling you to do something different 3 minutes after telling you something else. Not to mention throwing boxes and cussing at you when you have shown nothing but respect towards leadership. Certain employees have complete free will to do as they please as well, so if you plan to work here, get in with the 'cool kids club' and everything will be easy peasy.

Advice to Management

Fair treatment for veterans, and not to mention lets get rid of the conflict of interests here. Hire mature store level managers with leadership experience not connections, and don't take your stress out on your employees. Also walking around and barking orders, sitting in the office playing on your cell phone, and talking down and being unprofessional to hard working employees does not make you a manager.

"Stay away!!!"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time

Pros

Definitely co-workers, and learning experiences

Cons

Constant negative feedback from managers, often placed into different departments against your will, never get raises, paid too little for how much work I did, every day was hell after the company was bought by investors, quitting was the best decision I ever made!!! I was never appreciated for the work I did except for my Dept head. The breaks didn't exist. If you were ever caught taking a break the managers would instantly get on your case and make your day terrible!!! The managers lied often and would try to play mind games, why can't I just come in, do my job and go home? I was lucky to get the grocery position after courtesy hell for a year! My hours and job were constantly threatened as well for stupid ****!!!! The customers were mostly rich bigots who would boss you around till you got irritated and hated your life even more.

Advice to Management

Grow up and quit micro managing, quit taking the job as if it's high school, you're a manager not a freaking fat king!!! Do your job and quit pestering people trying to do theirs, who actually do their work!!!

10. "Deli Associate"

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great food, Great employees, Great length of time for lunch breaks.

Cons

Horrible customers due to the company's policies allowing customers to think they can walk all over the employees.

Advice to Management

Be more strict with the customers requests. Don't let them treat your employees badly.

Mar 14, 2017 – Candidate Experience Specialist

Thank you for sharing your comments. We're happy to hear that our flexible schedule options have allowed you valuable time to do the things that are most important to you. It is very helpful for ... More

"My Opinion"

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product mix
    Nice discount for employees
    Store draws interesting customers

Cons

Low salaries
    Low morale
    High employee turnover
    Unskilled middle management

Advice to Management

Improve flow of inventory from warehouse to stores
    Better training for store managers, assistant managers, department managers.
    Acknowledge effort.
    Own the issues caused by short staffing, or hire to meet actual staffing needs.

Mar 14, 2017 – Candidate Experience Specialist

We're very thankful for your review and feedback. We are happy that you share in our enthusiasm for our employee discount. Your passion for our products creates a better customer experience. It ... More

Showing 1,182 of 1,184 reviews