The Fresh Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Larry Appel

1,460 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Constant changes in upper management means zero consistency" (in 90 reviews)

• "Worked there for 3 years went through three different store managers four different assistant" (in 77 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Pros

Was An Awesome Work to Place

Cons

There is really nothing to complain about

2. "Welcoming, but lack time for training."

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly store and department managers.
    Most hourly staff are nice.
    Great opportunity to sample new foods.

Cons

Lack of training. The people you are supposed to train with don’t have time to show you much so you’re left to try figure it out on your own.
    Some disgruntled staff who take every opportunity to complain.
    Cleaning procedures not followed.
    Food rotation is lacking; old product mixed in with new product in the display case.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer better training time and ensure that the new hires are getting adequate opportunity to learn and observe.
    Needs much stricter sanitary rules. Allow staff enough time to keep their work areas clean and sanitized.

3. "They're Focussed on Getting Better!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TFM is engaging its employees and turning things around! It's not going to happen over night but the new leadership team can make it a great place to work again!

Cons

The field employees may feel a lag in communication

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction

4. "NA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is wonderful, pay is very fair, great team

Cons

To many changes , due to cooperate always changing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Deli clerk"

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

The hours offered to staff

Cons

Fast work enviroment, low staff

6. "Committed to Making Positive Changes for the Employees"

Current Employee - Guest Care Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Care Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, committed to helping one another, great benefits, and the company is always searching for ways to make work a better place!

Cons

A lot of changes have been made recently, and that takes a toll on morale at times. But we are moving forward as a company and becoming an even better place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going and continue pushing forward!

"Service department worker"

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has better benefits than Publix

Cons

Little or no back up help in case of a call out

Advice to Management

Service department employees need to be certified within 6 months

"Frustrated and disappointed."

Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits for full time employees. 32 hour schedule is considered full time for benefit purposes. A paycheck every two weeks. 20% employee discount. Sometimes 30% at Christmas.

Cons

Managers avoid confrontation at all costs. Violations of policy such as drinking on the job or health protocol violations are swept under the rug and good employees will no longer report the violations to management because nothing is ever done about it. Good employees are highly frustrated. Scheduling is a fiasco. You will have six people working one day and two people the next. Every month more and more new items are added, few if any removed and no additional work hours are added. The employees that care and work hard are frustrated by management allowing subpar work from employees who spend their shifts chatting, taking numerous breaks, complaining and providing little, if any, customer service. We will probably never hear anything back from corporate regarding the outcome of the employee surveys. I had high hopes that the Fresh Market would be a place I could stay and move up through the ranks. However, I have learned the hard way that quality work is no more appreciated than slapping product into a box and throwing it on a shelf. Warm bodies/mindless associates who can be paid the very least amount is what this grocery store is looking for. If you have any kind of work ethic, take pride in your work and follow the rules then look elsewhere for a job. I am disappointed and frustrated most of the time these days. I loved the Fresh Market as a customer-that’s why I came to work here. But the things I have seen since beginning employment here have really changed my attitude towards this business. I am sadly looking for another job at this time. I want to work somewhere where quality work is appreciated or at least not belittled.

Advice to Management

If only Larry Appel would come back to visit the Charlotte stores- then our hours wouldn’t be cut and the store would be cleaned and they would schedule enough employees to make the products to sell. Mr. Appel, the employees would love for you to show up unannounced to see what its really like. What you see when you announce an upcoming visit is a big fat con job.

"produce"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good insurance , discounts , good hard working employees who deserve a lot more for there time they give to this company.

Cons

managers have favorite who seem to never do wrong. pay not up to date with all the stores around us. a very unhappy place for most of the workers. also company had a increase in pay wages but they are not available for the workers to see and many new kids are coming off the streets making more money than many people that have years with this company. how can you hide minimum wage for the jobs that you do. many people are not even getting there minimum wage they deserve for the job titles they are performing.

Advice to Management

start being fair to ALL employee not just your favorites. work a little more on the floor, not set on the computer all day. help out dept some times when in need instead of always barking orders. support the people who make efforts to make there dept look good. managers have took the heart out of people who love to be creative and always wants someone to change what you have worked on . it is the way they make you feel. we are a training store so about every year or so we get a new manager and they want to change everything. for many years we were up in sales now our sales are not good. you know if something works sells are up leave it alone. talk to your employees with the same respect that you expect to have from them. don't get in people face yelling and be little them. the more you respect the employees you will get a lot more work done and a lot more happy employee in return more sales and happy customers. customers see how unhappy they are .

"Skrr"

Pros

Decent benefits, but positive environment

Cons

They expect alot, fast

Advice to Management

Make meals more versatile.

Showing 1,460 of 1,462 reviews