The Fresh Market Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2021

Found 2,217 of over 2K reviews

The Fresh Market CEO Jason Potter
Jason Potter
Pros
  • "good employee discount during the quarantine(in 181 reviews)

• "20% discount, 30% during holidays(in 156 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Frequent shifts in upper management(in 121 reviews)

• "I only worked there for a year and half, but we had at least 4 different store managers(in 103 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Fresh Market and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

A Good Place to Be

May 1, 2021 - Cashier in Crystal Lake, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

A small, quality market focused on providing superior customer service, products, and cleanliness/safety.

Cons

As with many professions, a regular turnover of employees due to many varied life circumstances.

Store Talent Manager

We appreciate your honest review and are glad to hear you are happy with The Fresh Market’s culture and environment. We work hard to offer an inclusive and happy work environment for all.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Scan Coordinator

May 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

TFM does offer a competitive pay. They also give a great discount!

Cons

They are constantly cutting actual work hours from employees. They offer full time at 40 hours per week, but usually that is for department managers and favorite employees. They will cut an employee hours down to 30/32 and not care that many of their employees are trying to support themselves or families on their wage. An 8/10 hour per week cut in hours can really hurt someone who needs every penny they can earn. There is absolutely no consistency in following the rules. Some people are allowed to arrive late, leave early, refuse to do certain jobs, not complete assignments and suffer no disciplinary repercussions while others will get written up for being out of uniform. Company is not featured to post the following weeks schedule until the Thursday before the next work week. Plus it is only posted for one week at a time. This makes scheduling family outings and things for an employee difficult. This company's employees would benefit from becoming unionized! The ability to advance is only available to employees if the store manager likes you. There is no seniority or interview process for changing job positions or advancing.

3 people found this review helpful

Store Talent Manager

Thank you for writing your review. As an organization we strive to invest in, develop and recognize excellence in our team as best we can. Our employees are very valuable to us, and we're always looking to make improvements as a company and as an employer.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Awful

Jun 3, 2021 - Assistant Front End Manager in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Provided a somewhat flexible schedule at times but had to fight for it.

Cons

Literally not a single good thing about this employer. The employees were all on drugs, one worker fell down the break room stairs he was so high, another threw a cookie sheet at an employee she was mad at. Management plays favorites with extended family they’ve hired. If you work hard you end up doing everyone’s job. No one cares, no one does their job and trying to manage anyone is a nightmare. They also make you regularly work in other departments you have never been trained to do when employees call in sick and just don’t show up. Literally the worst job I have ever had. Anywhere is better.

3 people found this review helpful

Store Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving an honest review of The Fresh Market’s management. We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you would be interested in providing us with more information related to your concern, please call The Fresh Market’s employee help line at 833-TFM-4363 to provide a description of your experience. We would like an opportunity to understand your concerns and be of further assistance.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Disorganised

May 14, 2021 - Cashier in Columbia, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free coffee, nice products, high class customers.

Cons

Training is chaotic, you don't train with the front end manager, you get pawned off to random cashiers, which is not smart/efficient. Schedule goes up only 1 week in advance at the last minute, so if you are off that day you have to keep calling to find out when you're supposed to be there. Short breaks. Bad communication skills. Felt like I was just a number and not valued. Managers seemed inauthentic or on ego trips. Nice to you during orientation but acted like you didn't exist once you were on the clock.

1 person found this review helpful

Store Talent Manager

We are sorry to hear about your experience with your training as a The Fresh Market employee. We encourage all employees to discuss these situations with your Store Manager and HR. Our employees' training and development are important to us!

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Worst job I've had

Jun 17, 2021 - Bakery Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule for the most part Hired fast Store discount right away

Cons

They overwork you Felt some discrimination towards coworkers who struggled to speak English Rude people

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

Jun 16, 2021 - Assistant Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co workers, Great opportunity Great food

Cons

Can be more competitive as far as salary

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

The Fresh Market

Jun 17, 2021 - Telecommunications in Gainesville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and overall attitude.

Cons

There are not employees in the store.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's a basic job good for students

May 10, 2021 - Front End Cashier in Johnson City, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Small store, pretty flexible scheduling 8-4, 10-6, and 1-9 main shifts with 4-9 and 2-7 scheduled if needed, friendly coworkers, possibility to promote to other departments

Cons

Schedule given thursdays for next week (most of the time), not enough people scheduled often, no scheduled baggers, no floor mats at all registers, too many items required on the register, interview questions too in depth for position, training is lacking, it's hard to call out sick, and different expectations for employees in the same position

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for writing your review. Our employees are very valuable to us, and we're always looking to make improvements as a company and as an employer.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Part time cashier

Jun 12, 2021 - Cashier in Chattanooga, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

good discount, kind employees, good hours

Cons

old point of sale system, lots of waste

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Hostile Work environment. Bullying and Dysfunction

Apr 27, 2021 - Department Manager in Ridgeland, MS
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm alive after more than a decade of dysfunction and abuse

Cons

I watched people dedicate their lives loyally to this company.Decades of Abuse and Dysfunction..They died from Stress..Heart attack's and Strokes..Some tried to hang on..They developed stress related disease.High blood pressure, Diabetes, Gout, Depression, Anxiety and PTSD

4 people found this review helpful