The Fresh Market Reviews in Vero Beach, FL | Glassdoor

3.4
The Fresh Market President and Chief Executive Officer Richard Anicetti
Richard Anicetti

Cons

1. "Shoping the Fresh Market"

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Vero Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Vero Beach, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The store has a home feeling and very lay back environment to and people are very nice and helpful.

Cons

At the Fresh Market you will have to wait in line some day to get service because of lack of employees.

"Frustrating!!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vero Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vero Beach, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees who help each other out. Discount.

Cons

Where to start? Prior to working at Fresh Market, I worked 12 years at a big box grocer. I was an assistant manager, with typical duties. I had less problems there than at Fresh Market. Half the asst. mgrs are under trained, incompetent and lazy. Those that are not usually get fed up with the crap and leave. A prior review mentioned being penalized and prosecuted for bad inventories. By being understaffed and overly distracted by unnecessary meetings,etc, it is hard to accomplish your own tasks, much less someone else. Another irritating aspect of this company is the perpetual babysitting of incompetent and lazy employees. When you take disciplinary action against them, you run the chance of being overran by management.

My duties as grocery specialist include the following:
    Receiving
    Monthly displays
    Weekly special events
    Paperwork
    Inventories
    Assisting other depth mgrs with whatever they need
    Other duties as assigned by mgmt

And did I mention I oversee 3 departments? I do have an assistant & 4 part time clerks. This would seem adequate, however, they haven't the sense of urgency and I'm told by mgmt I have to work within their abilities. Coaching and mentoring part of my job. I cannot spend all of my time babysitting. I would like to be able to spend time with new associates, training, but we are often in crisis mode by the they are hired and have to throw them into the deep end immediately.

And all with no overtime!!!!!!!!!!

There's an inordinate amount of favoritism shown to a minority few associates. Extra overtime is allotted to them; others are given the opportunity. Meanwhile, those of us who could use it our own depts don't get it. I know overtime is costly, but if it increases sales, that's a good thing.

Advice to Management

Have the guts to actual listen to the people who actually do the work without subliminal threats of retaliation. Be proactive, not reactive. Less contact from Dm's, let us do our job. Trust us.

The Fresh Market Response

Dec 8, 2014 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of your current working experience with The Fresh Market. We appreciate your comments in regards to employee workload, overtime, and ... More

"The Fresh Market"

Current Employee - Cashier in Vero Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Vero Beach, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance benefits. 20% employee discount on purchases.

Cons

Payscale too low for even basic human survival.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a decent wage

Showing 3 of 1,167 reviews