The Friedkin Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 27, 2018

Dan Friedkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company and industry to build your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Friedkin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company really goes above and beyond to support it's employees, provide a great family-oriented culture, and to promote a healthy environment through their onsite gym and cafeteria options. The work is definitely challenging and they allow you to actually bring your creativity to the table to solve complex problems. Thus far, it has been nice to see that your voice is heard and that your opinion is counted and respected. The benefits and compensation are very competitive. Upon hire , it was communicated to me that this is a "high performing" organization, and it is indeed that!

Cons

I have honestly enjoyed my experience at the Friedkin Group and have not encountered anything that I would consider a "Con" thus far. Just as an fyi, I will say again that this is a high performing environment and it is not for those that are looking to sit back and not do their part to support the team. What makes this company so successful is the fact that they have driven professionals on staff that work hard and produce high quality work with pride. This is a pro for me but may be a con for others that really do not take their career or professional reputation as seriously. If you want to be challenged and the opportunity to take your skills to the next level, this is the company for you!

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize open-door communication and employee networking functions. These both have lent to a very positive and cohesive work environment thus far!

"Opportunities are endless"

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Friedkin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, health benefits, company discounts, DevelopU, Gym/walking trail, friendly smiling faces

Cons

Haven't run across any yet.

"RUN FAR FAR AWAY AND NEVER RETURN!"

Former Employee - Corporate Accountant
    Former Employee - Corporate Accountant

I worked at The Friedkin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates/bonus day that I experienced was pretty nice, sometimes you get Toyota branded merchandise like hats....the office is nice

Cons

I worked in the Corporate Accounting group and this company is everything opposite they tell you in interview. Be prepared to work 50+ hours a week and get paid for 36.5....that every week close WEEKS you'll definitely work more than 50 hours. There are countless IT issues because the system is useless and definitely doesn't work. Corporate Accounting is the work horse and whipping boy for everything...instead of training end users to change processes the work default to corporate accounting to endlessly reclass transactions. There is definitely not enough bodies for all of the work. The whole department basically imploded when 4 accountants and manager quit within 6 weeks time of each other and they fired the director (that's a whole other post). Be prepared to be belittled and under appreciated. They tout their "bonus" but it maybe a couple of percentage points higher than industry but definitely isn't worth it if you want to actually have a life outside of work because work/life balance does not exist in this department. Also, there is no opportunity for career growth...you never know what exactly is expected of you.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, give employees work/life balance, get a ERP system that actually works.

Aug 13, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for sharing your personal experience with us. The work-life balance of our associates is top priority for our organization, and our Corporate Accounting team is... More

"Very political"

Former Employee - Professional Paycheck Collector
    Former Employee - Professional Paycheck Collector

I worked at The Friedkin Group full-time

Pros

There are some good people there who genuinely care about the company. Facilities are nice. Hours are flexible, though this is mainly because management is either in a meeting or "offsite" themselves.

Cons

Very politically charged environment. People get hung up over titles, parking spaces (you read that right - where you park is an indicator of how important you are perceived to be). Management does not communicate expectations or vision for the company, then penalize you if you are not able to understand what they want.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with your expectations. Also, scrap the whole "Director and above" nonsense, and actually assign parking solely off of tenure. And remind everyone to just get over themselves.

"IT"

I have been working at The Friedkin Group full-time

Pros

Some of the co workers are nice

Cons

Management issues. No career growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee needs more carefully

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.

"Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Friedkin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Great Place to Work. A culture of collaboration, pride, and hardworking dedicated associates interested in working together to make this a great place for everyone. I joined the organization in February and have met many leaders and peers and have been given the opportunity to share ideas and best-practices. It is an environment where work-life balance is practiced daily and where associates feel empowered to do their best. It is a high performing environment where individuals with high initiative, creativity, and strong work ethic do very well. Modern office facility including an onsite Café/Starbucks, and Fitness Center. Although the fitness center is not currently open due to Harvey renovations, it is free to associates when it reopens later this year. I have recommended the organization to my friends and recently hired a former teammate.

Cons

I have not experienced any. Associates feel engaged and happy to be part of the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to explore best practices and ideas shared by our associates.

May 9, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for the review. We are so glad you are happy here.

7. "Purchasing Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Friedkin Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best people you'll ever meet work at FCI. They are a caring and human group working toward a common purpose.

Cons

Lots of work to be done, so everyone's plate is full.

Advice to Management

Consistent application of company goals would normalize things between groups.

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.

"If you like working in a hostile environment, then this is the place for you"

I worked at The Friedkin Group full-time

Pros

The people in other groups were very nice, lots of social events.

Cons

The vibe in the accounting area was totally different than the rest of the company. The team is full of overworked and under appreciated people trying to appease management that has unrealistic goals.

Advice to Management

Actually listen and provide guidance that is asked for and sorely needed

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.

"Working 9 years & 2 months in Friedkin's information technology (IT) department"

Former Employee - IBM Mainframe Database Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IBM Mainframe Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at The Friedkin Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Campus is nice. Everyone works in a cubicle -- unless you are a director. Those not driving a Toyota product must park at the top of the garage.

Cons

This pertains to my working at Friedkin for 9 years, 2 months in the GST division of information technology. Other departments may not apply to this observation.

In my 45+ year career with 11 companies (some contract, some regular employee), this department consistently takes the gold, silver & bronze for having the most back-stabbing, incompetent Machiavellian cut-throat kneejerk clueless moron management in the galaxy…and I’ve worked for some great management in other companies.

Alternatively, good & great people (with decades of tech experience & training) are systematically trashed regularly. One disposable CIO (now fired) was hired to “reorganize” the IT department & cut costs. EVERYBODY got a new manager every 6 months. Ridiculous! So he outsourced the company’s help desk to IBM which became the biggest blunder in the history of the company – add a few more colossal outsourcing blunders & finger pointing. ALL of which availed ZERO!

Turnover in the department is high. Good people flippantly trashed & disposed of to be replaced by foreign contractors. Many have quit. Some have “relocated” elsewhere within the company since working 60-80 hours a week was too stressful.

In 2006 I spent long hours, weekends & holidays to turn a beat up jalopy of a database department into a fine-tuned Ferrari. Few (if any) production problems relating to database issues. In those 9+ years I strived to get along with everyone, without malice to anybody. I would bend over backwards to service everyone with a smile even if it meant working on holidays & weekends. On call 24x7 because I had no backup.

I was assigned to a Passive Aggressive mentality manager (despised by everyone). Then, when my number came up, I was flippantly disposed & trashed like my former co-workers…to be replaced by a cheaper foreign contractor. What was their reason? They accused me of “prejudice” – to which they didn’t have a single piece of evidence nor could they produce ONE single witness or complaint.

My co-workers were stunned, saying “who was offended?” Nobody! This is the kind of lie, cheat, steal, stab-in-the back environment of this place.

One former director wrote a book and had a paragraph on how “disheartened” she was to see good people so systematically trashed (though she didn’t mention Friedkin by name). By now, you’ve read some trendy FACTS in this note – not opinions.

Obviously the human resources department will post some fake 5-star “testimonials” to recruit IT people.

With the UP-turn in the economy, there will be greater demand for IT professionals. As the saying goes: “good companies get BETTER & the bad companies will get WORSE” as people will leave the first opportunity they get.

Be forewarned, if you enter into this snake pit – it will be your own fault.

Advice to Management

GST IT management is not interested in anyone's opinion but their own. The company's motto: "we value our employees" is the biggest [demonstrated] sham.

May 9, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide your honest feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you expected. We care about each associate experience and will take your... More

"Great work life balance"

I have been working at The Friedkin Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Very support of family and flexible

Cons

A little antiquated. Need updating of infrastructure

Nov 21, 2017 – Human Resources