Cover image for The GEO Group

The GEO Group

Engaged Employer

The GEO Group

Add a Review

The GEO Group Employee Reviews about "geo"

Updated Nov 8, 2021

The GEO Group Chairman and CEO George C. Zoley
George C. Zoley

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The GEO Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "geo"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Geo employee

Jan 29, 2021 - Detention Officer in Victorville, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Always opportunities to grow in the company.

Cons

Haven't found a con in working for Geo

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

It is all about their profit

Nov 8, 2021 - Chaplain in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the co-workers, love working with inmates from 40 different nations

Cons

Private company is about their bottom dollar and seems to me they do not care about good employees. But the president of the USA deemed it his priority to GEO from going forward with private operated, federal sub-contratractors. Now 600 employees do not have employment! This is just Big Spring, Texas.

3. Join the The GEO Group team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work, but often mischaracterized

Jul 23, 2019 - Director in West Palm Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

GEO has pivoted it's focus from government services to intensive rehabilitative programming for the men and women entrusted to our care. I have scarcely seen more dedicated professionals who care about people, working to change the behavior of inmates, through cognitive rehabilitative programming and day to day interactions. From saying "good morning, Mr Jones or Ms. Smith!" Simple greetings that model pro-social communication are uncommon in public institutions. As I visit many sites of this company around the country, I see it in every division in every facility. It motivates me to continue sharing the good works of The GEO Group, despite mischaracterization sometimes portrayed in the media.

Cons

The GEO Group provides services to a number of state and federal agencies. One of the federal contracts we maintain a contract with is with ICE. Having personally visited the ICE processing centers around the country, the locations managed by GEO on behalf of ICE are clean, the immigrants are treated with care and respect, there are soccer fields and open areas for phone calls, and there are immigration attorneys coming and going all day, everyday. We are NOT the company that has been accused of housing "unaccompanied minors" or "caging children!" The news media coverage can sometimes mirespresent and mischaracterize what GEO does for men and women in their facilities, but I can assure you, it's always done with the utmost care and respect for person. A person who works here must understand those things and ask questions about them during their interview process.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Sheisty

Oct 30, 2020 - Security Officer in Folkston, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay/401k always have overtime and 80hrs

Cons

Always a target on your back upper management cracks me up as most are not even job savvy. I would love to continue my employment but scared of Retaliation, Racism and Discrimination. Sorry Geo I loved my old bosses new ones are garbage.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Opportunity

Sep 2, 2020 - Immigration Case Specialist in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Networking opportunities with DHS for future employment

Cons

Limited upward mobility within GEO

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

GEO REENTRY

Sep 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work on the reentry side of GEO, which provides community-based programs for offenders reintegrating into society from prison. Working with the offenders and helping them get their life back on track is very rewarding. GEO has some fantastic staff and management that care about this population and devote their time and skills to providing some of the best programs for this population. GEO is dedicated to treating program participants with dignity and respect, and the participants do not hesitate to share that these are the best programs they have been a part of. The company provides a lot of training opportunities and ensure their staff are adequately trained for their position and will even pay for employees to go to school. The company has many opportunities for advancement and take time to develop current staff for promotions. The company offers decent benefits, time off, and the pay is on target with the going rates.

Cons

The news media coverage can sometimes twist and mischaracterize what GEO does participants in their facilities. This negative press is tough for the staff that works so hard to help this population and has seen the excellent results the participants have worked so hard accomplish.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Could be a much better place to work.

Feb 2, 2013 - Correctional Case Manager in Lawton, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with an excellent group of people who are very supportive of each other. Middle management supervisors are above average and attempt to assist as well as manage thier people. PTO is above average for most companies.

Cons

Low pay and no raises for non uniform staff in 5 years, 60 hour work load no overtime permitted. Caseloads are more than double what simular companies assign. Non uniformed are considered as support security and often pulled for that purpose with no leadway to complete our work, nor trained for security. Employees work under the "fear factor" princible and time is micro managed by GEO. Employees have been "walked off" for investigation and left there for up to 6 months with no pay. Pay is lower than what is averaged by this company. If you don't complete your work your supervisor receives a contact. Most of the people at our facility are actively seeking a new job.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run as fast as your limbs can take you!

Aug 1, 2019 - Substance Abuse Counselor I in East Saint Louis, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

None, absolutely no pros!! This company is disgusting, unprofessional and unethical.

Cons

This company will throw you under the bus at moments notice. I worked at the East St Louis facility and the craziness at this facility was beyond wild. The corrections officers were ALLOWED to trick the counselors into inappropriate relationships, use them then throw them out like hot garbage, the Geo group is quite aware of the situation but instead of doing anything about it they turn on the counselors and walk them out as soon as they are aware of the business !! The corrections officers are allowed to keep their jobs, the warden was as must as a snake as all of them. The management for this poorly run company is a joke, they never get their hands dirty they just go around disturbing things and get paid to walk around all day. They are understaffed because no one in their right mind would work for a company that will overwhelmed, overwork and severely under pay you. Management are all bullies who get their rocks off by pushing you over the edge and when you finally snap they fire you ! The union is a complete joke, they take your money but don't represent you in any way, they just do a lot of talking with promises they don't keep not surprising since the union is ran by the corrections staff. I can go on and on but I've got better things to do with my time. Heed the warning and go elsewhere.

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Works until you find something else.

Jan 23, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and a paycheck if you get them like you're supposed to.

Cons

GEO took over my facility and while I wanted to give them a chance, it's depressing how badly a billion dollar company like this can run. From the get go there have been (and still are) problems with receiving benefits and complete paychecks. Got screwed on your PTO? It's not our fault, it's so-and-so, and no you can't have that day off without PTO. Only received $300 instead of your full check? It's not our fault, and no we can't give you an advance so you can pay your bills. Supervisors like to spew about policy, write you up for minor issues, and then do whatever as long as it's convenient/beneficial for them. Too many games/cliques/politics. New duties are constantly added despite not being allowed overtime and not enough hours or employees to complete, but if you protest it's your fault you can't handle it and you need to manage your time better. No raises and if you move departments, you lose your current pay which is a first for me. In my years in corrections, I have never felt as unsafe and disregarded as I have under GEO. Inmates are behaving worse than ever because they know they'll get away with it. Promises to inmates left and right, and when they're broken they leave floor staff to deal with the fallout. Management does not have your back, period.

2 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Caring environment for staff and clients

Sep 6, 2019 - Director in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

GEO has developed and continues to a state-of-the-art rehabilitation model that I am proud to be a part of. I have visited a number of our facilities and found that staff and residents are treated with respect and dignity. For employees, there are a number of roads to job advancement and continuing education is highly valued at the company. In fact, one of the perks is tuition reimbursement. Management, including the CEO, consistently give the message that services are to be provided in a compassionate and dignified manner. In my experience, employees are also treated with respect.

Cons

GEO has a number of services that it provides. The only con that I can think of is that the media frequently mischaracterizes what services GEO provides.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 Reviews