The GW Medical Faculty Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Kelly

Pros
Cons
  • Poor overall work environment, going through change in senior management, lack of defined processes (in 4 reviews)

• administration and physicians were always at odds, creating a terrible work environment (in 4 reviews)

1. "A lot of changes over the years (structure, upper management)"

Pros

Try to do right by employees. At the end of the year if the organization is doing well enough financially they'll put an additional 1% of your salary towards the employer portion of the retirement plan. Once you've been there awhile you'll earn over 4 weeks leave/ue. Generous holiday schedule. Tuition benefit for classes at GWU.

Cons

Leave is PTO so no separate sick leave. Not a very generous retirement plan, but not bad for the healthcare industry.

Advice to Management

Solicit input from employees before making changes to benefits.

2. "Patient Services Specialist"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at The GW Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once you're in the door, it cna be a great place to work. Managements styles can be intimidating.

Cons

It takes some time to work yourself to a pay increase

Advice to Management

Pay attention to peoples work ethic to move people upward.

3. "Being Part of the Solution"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at The GW Medical Faculty Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The MFA is undergoing a dramatic overhaul. There are lots of opportunities for those that work hard enough to be noticed. It's an exciting time if you enjoy taking part in the change.

Cons

There is a lot to be done, and the pacer is demanding.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is believing or buying into the new culture.

"Unsustainable model"

Current Employee - Physician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Physician in Washington, DC

Pros

Job security-- with so many physicians leaving, they can't afford to release anyone

Cons

The physician leadership structure is seriously flawed. There are physician leaders in divisions of 5-10 people who do little clinical work, so as a physician, you are working to support the outsized salaries of these leaders. 5-10 self driven people don't need that amount of management at that cost; it ultimately leads to non-competitive salaries for the front-line physicians.
    Leadership has been awarded by politics and favoritism, and not merit. Leaders use their position for self-betterment rather than advancement of the organization's goals.
    There is no accountability for leadership. There is an understanding that advancement is by political maneuvering, and not merit, so many good people have left or are looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Create a sustainable model where employees are reimbursed fairly for what they do
    Re-evaluate your leadership at all levels, and get rid of the dead weight. Please notice that there is a lot of attrition in frontline physicians and none in physician leadership. Where is the problem here?
    There is a culture of placing self before team that dominates; this culture of selfishness and vindictiveness is present at all levels of leadership, and is driving out good employees.
    The CEO (many people including myself have put our job searches on hold to see what the new CEO will do) should listen to the physician employees directly. Recognize that employees are afraid of giving their honest opinion-- vindictiveness is a core value here. Recognize that the input you receive from the insecure and incompetent leadership is self-serving, and is the reason why good employees leave.
    We have a serious problem. We are a dysfunctional organization. Stop rationalizing for the poor ratings and do something to fix them.
    Accountability applies to everyone.

"Horrible company to work for."

Pros

None. Can't think of any. Most of them left the company. They have some really great staff who are underpaid.

Cons

If you are not part of the mafia there you no longer have a job. They let competent, smart EXPERIENCED staff walk out the door only to let people who have worked a year stay in similar positions. Or if you were a threat or had a brain then you could not stay, you were let go. Leadership is terrible and cannot accomplish one goal they have ever published. But yet they get treated like royalty. Very bad morale all throughout the organization.

Advice to Management

Time to revamp and start new with everyone. Wake up.

"Worst Place I Have Ever Worked At"

I have been working at The GW Medical Faculty Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you adopt the "can't beat 'em join 'em" mentality, you can pretty much do whatever you want... everyone else does.

Cons

There are essentially no policies and procedures. You figure out the rules and regulations as you go, and even when you do, there are always exceptions or conditions.

Politics rules everything. Shady handshake deals among docs and admins and favoritism are paramount here. I have heard from many employees that the CEO Anton Sidawy makes deals with his doctor friends and caters to them.

Potential employees aren't drug tested. Backgrounds not properly checked.

MFA allows some patients to be treated as "VIPs" they get special attention that other patients do not. These are usually rich, or influential people, politicians, royals, etc. You are told to bend the rules to accommodate a VIP patient. Doctor's essentially bully you into seeing their family members and friends whenever they want, even when it's nearly impossible to accommodate them.

Orientation is useless, they spend more time talking about Metro "benefits" than going over things that are useful. Don't expect them to feed you lunch while you're there either.

Don't expect proper training. You basically have to figure out how to work the EMR and all of that on your own... MA's, Admins, Techs, Docs all go to the same IT training. The training I received was useless. I don't even have access to make appointments, yet that's pretty much all the training I had.

No positive attitude anywhere. I have never heard an employee, doctor, nurse, manager etc say ANYTHING good about the MFA. Doctors and managers, receptionists and patients all openly gripe and complain about the MFA but nothing ever gets better.

Poor money management. Equipment is purchased by people who know nothing about it. Supplies are constantly wasted. Lights and computers, etc are never turned off. Band aids, ACE wraps, medications, etc are never locked up, employees are constantly stealing.

They do not reimburse for travel, parking, re-certification, CMEs, etc.

God forbid there is ever an emergency. They do not perform fire drills, no emergency exit review, no procedures for patient accidents or emergencies, no crash carts, no review of where AEDs are located.

Interpretation services are hit or miss. There are supposed to be phones that you can use to get an interpreter but I have never seen them, or seen anyone use them.

They do not even have a phone directory to communicate between departments. No way to look up a person and a number to reach them.

I have never even met the head of my department, never see him, never talk to him, nothing.

HIPAA violations, EVERYWHERE.

Admins versus clinical staff is basically the bottom line. No cooperation. No communication.

THEY TAXED US ON A GIFT CARD FOR A THANKSGIVING TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never in my life.....

Holiday "party".... don't even bother going, unless you want to be reminded how worthless you are.

No reward for exceptional work, no employee of the month, no recognition. No encouragement to work hard and be a good employee. There's also no punishment or consequences for poor performance or bad behavior.

You will likely learn from a coworker within a few days of working that there are no raises, no opportunities, no moving up the ladder. My own manager has told me he hasn't gotten a raise so I should not expect one either.

Patients are not the focus, ever.

I pray everyday that I am able to find a new job elsewhere... MFA makes life miserable.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

8. "Employer is horrible"

Former Employee - Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at The GW Medical Faculty Associates (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close knit group. Team bonding

Cons

Leadership is horrible. Management sucks. Filled with conflicts of interest

"Run Away Quickly"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The GW Medical Faculty Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A new CEO, hopefully he will revamp and no longer tolerate the extreme nepotism.

Cons

It's a cesspool of incompetent leaders. The blind leading the blind. Benefits are based on your salary. Not innovative or embrace change. Please don't have a brain or your own mind you will literally become an outcast.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring friends and your neighbors kids placing them in roles which they clearly do not have the level of expertise to excel in.

10. "DBA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The GW Medical Faculty Associates full-time

Pros

Provide necessary training for their employee

Cons

Manager is very bias for certain employees

11. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Washington, DC

Pros

Closed on weekends and holidays

Cons

Have nothing positive to say.