The Garland Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Garland Company Reviews

Updated 4 Oct 2019

4.2
The Garland Company CEO David Sokol (no image)
David Sokol
  1. "Great company all around"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people in the perfect positions to do their best work.

Cons

None come to mind honestly.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

The Garland Company2019-07-09
  2. "98% Turnover"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I worked at The Garland Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The compensation potential that is discussed while being recruited is real. ESOP is 100% entrepreneurial undertaking, work from home,

Cons

Selling building materials at extremely inflated prices. Specializes in a product that is being marginalized by more sustainable and efficient technologies. Pay structure creates a cut-throat mentality between co-workers. Some state and local governments are aggressively resisting the sales model that the company promotes. Expenses are largely if not wholly on the employee to cover. Turnover is very high. ... Benefits provide good coverage, but very high out of pocket cost. The culture of the company is not friendly towards new employees.

The Garland Company2019-10-04
  3. "Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced work environment that expects the best performers.

Cons

Salary wasn't enough for the territory I was in.

The Garland Company2019-07-22

"A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Benefits and On-Boarding Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my job! I've worked for Garland for over 15 years and I am still happy to come to work on a daily basis. Garland offers its employees challenging and dynamic work and your hard work does not go unnoticed. My manger is one of the most compassionate, accommodating and fair people I have ever met. I also feel that my co-workers are more like family and friends which makes coming to work fun. Also,... several of the benefits offered are paid 100% by the company.

Cons

At times during our busy season, the work/life balance can lean a little more towards work but, again, this does not go unnoticed by management.

Advice to Management

Continue your open door policy as well as continue to open and receptive to new ideas/suggestions from subordinate employees.

The Garland Company2019-07-02
  5. "Happy"

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working at the Garland Company for over 5 years now and I am still happy to come to work. I work for an amazing manager who provides me with interesting projects and is interested in my career growth. I love the culture at Garland, it truly is a special place.

Cons

The biggest con is the business location.

Advice to Management

Be open to fresh ideas and concepts.

The Garland Company2019-06-17
  6. "Great culture and leadership"

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time

Pros

Work and life balance, strong leadership and vision, the company cares about its employees

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

The Garland Company2019-06-05
  7. "Run away!"

I worked at The Garland Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. There really aren’t any pros, decent healthcare maybe?

Cons

The HQ is in one of the worst locations in Cleveland, it’s a racist, sexist company that thinks it’s still 1950. Low pay, Sales reps are king and rule everything within Garland. If you’re not Sales, you’re not important.

Advice to Management

Management is the problem.

The Garland Company2019-06-17
  8. ""New Kid On The Block""

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Garland is by far one of the best places to work. The people are passionate and grateful to work here. Friendly, supportive environment. Everyone attempts to strive to live by the culture and values Garland represents. Everyone is eager to help one another and grow. Work hard, play hard mentality.

Cons

There aren't that many I can think of, but if I have to choose- the location isn't the safest, but there is security that patrols and it seems like people are always keeping a lookout. That being said, there is a bit of micromanage here, but not nearly as bad as other places I've worked. Lastly, unless you're in sales you're expected to be in the office. Management preaches working-from-home options is allowed, but... it's usually frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Trust employees to do their job regardless if they are in the office or not. Keep investing in our people and commitment to our customers. Continue to put people first and this organization will grow. Accept that times are changing, and some things can be used to Garland's advantage/benefit (i.e. technological advances; networking opportunities; computer software) instead of doing nothing or idolizing the 'old way'.

The Garland Company2019-03-11

"Not a better Sales job out there"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, great benefits and retirement(esop). Opportunity to earn an exponential income. Great support from everybody at the company from the recruiting team that hires you to our President. You can pick up the phone and call anyone and they will be there to help. The Garland Company truly puts the Sales rep first in the company which is unlike any other company I have worked for. You are... valued for what you bring to the company and much more than just a number. Best company I have ever worked for by far!

Cons

This is not a 9-5 business. It’s a lot of work and you will get as much out as you put in. If your not willing to put in the hours and go above and beyond this isn’t the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the business to continue to give us a competitive advantage

The Garland Company2019-02-14
  10. "Best Job Out There"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at The Garland Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible opportunity to build great income and wealth through commission and ESOP. You run your own "franchise" and are able to work and strategize in a way that fits you. Work from home. Support staff is very quick to make sure you have everything you need to be successful when you ask for it.

Cons

You must be a self starter; if not, you will feel on an island very quickly.

Advice to Management

Management has lately pushed the opportunity for continued education on taking your business to the next level. I would encourage them to continue this trend.

The Garland Company2019-02-02