The Garrigan Lyman Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Garrigan

1. "Garrigan Lyman"

I worked at The Garrigan Lyman Group full-time

Pros

GLG is comprised of the most thoughtful and caring people I may ever work with. Both managers I worked for in my 3.5 years provided wonderful mentorship to me as an early-career professional. CTO is not only a technical genius but a savvy business strategist as well, and a hell of a good guy. Both owners have poured all their energy for the past 20 years into making the company first and foremost a great place to work, where people can do cool stuff. It shows in the work and in the pride/loyalty long-term employees have in the firm.

Cons

GLG provides a rich benefits package to employees, but it's very expensive to add dependents. GLG is a great place for senior-level, SME, master-of-their craft types but it's tough to find growth opportunities for early-career folks. Those at the top stay for a long time, while GLG is a revolving door for younger people. Work-life balance has suffered in pursuit of the billable hour but fixing those issues were top of mind for management when I left.

Advice to Management

There are so many shiny pennies out there, but stick to what has made GLG a great success for 20+ years.

2. "Hmmm."

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Next to some nice places to eat. Easy access from the bus tunnel. Good coffee and snacks and such in break room.

Cons

Contractors ("freelancers") are thrown in with zero ramp up. I was interviewed for a pure front-end web development position. Tuns out the job required a good bit of .NET as well. No problem for me, because I have a .NET background. However, .NET was never mentioned in the interview, and a non-.NET person would've been sunk.

Advice to Management

More communication, especially from PMs to "freelancers". More ramp-up and onboarding resources (as opposed to the current level of none).

3. "Great please, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA

I have been working at The Garrigan Lyman Group (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a company that really cares about the people that work there.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much focus on just getting the work done instead of seeing it as a stepping stone to the next great thing.

5. "Nice place"

Former Employee - Associate Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The Garrigan Lyman Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, nice kitchen stocked with goodies, happy hours, other fun events.

Cons

If you get stuck on the wrong project, you won't be very happy.

6. "Sr UXA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Garrigan Lyman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community of designers and developers

Cons

Projects are not very interesting

7. "Great place to get experience"

I have been working at The Garrigan Lyman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many high visibility projects. The people who work there are great. Management is friendly. It isn't expected that you participate in outside of work activities, but you're always welcome to. Finding coverage for PTO is fairly easy.

WFH is nice, but seems more like a way to get employees to work 24/7 than a perk.

Great place to be a director or get experience. Not so great for people in the middle, hence the high turnover of anyone who is not a director or "junior".

Cons

Monotanous work. If you are on a project team, you will be expected to work overnight and/or very late hours. 50+ hour weeks are common. Not just a couple extra hours per day here and there, but very long days. Teams will be working anywhere from 10- 18 + hours straight. No overtime. No comp days. This applies to Developers, Designers, Project Managers, Ops and QA.

Pay is average/low, low 401k match, healthcare not competitive, but all better than nothing. They try to sell culture over salary, but bigger companies with similar work/life balance/culture expectations pay at least 20% more with bonuses and more time off. Bonuses are a thing of the past.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and benefits to support work expectations. The high turnover begets higher turnover. Give employees comp time off to rest and recover after client abuse. Or, protect them from client abuse by better managing client expectations.

"Eh."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Garrigan Lyman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is well located near public transport in downtown Seattle. There are free snacks and beverages and they do company happy hours and parties periodically.

Cons

The work is boring. The clients are not interesting. Pay is low. Management seems to operate on the theory that what worked ten years ago is still relevant today. Employee retention rate is terrible part of which has to do with a total disregard for work/life balance. It's a place to get experience and then move on.

Advice to Management

Fire your directors and start fresh with younger people who have a vision for the future. This isn't 2006 anymore. Increase pay.

9. "Great company! Great people!"

Pros

There are always exciting things happening at GLG. Management is very open and transparent.

Cons

Some of the tasks get monatomous.

10. "Decent but not great"

I worked at The Garrigan Lyman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, good location, positive company culture.

Cons

pay is on the low end of the scale, lots of nights and weekends

Advice to Management

Increase the pay, diversify the client base, and cut out the endless junk and joke email sent to the entire agency by staff members.

"Talented and Warm People"

I have been working at The Garrigan Lyman Group full-time

Pros

As a relatively new employee, I have found the staff very welcoming and helpful. The on-boarding process was outstanding and everything was ready for me on my first day...desk, IT, etc. Management encourages new ideas and allows the latitude to implement them.
    Talented and professional staff, great location, great clients!

Cons

Street performer plays amplified Reggae music outside my window every day! I like Marley, but.....