The Goddard School Reviews in Jamison, PA | Glassdoor

2.6
The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Pros
Cons
  • Staff turnover, low pay (average for field) (in 30 reviews)

• The pay is so low for the amount of work that you will be doing (in 13 reviews)

1. "Good school, but it really depends on the ownership on how well the kiddos and staff experience is there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamison, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamison, PA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kids and my co teacher were the only really good things about working there.

Cons

High turn over rate. It depends on the owner of the school on how well your experience will be here.

2. "Underpaid and Expected to do High Amounts of Work"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Jamison, PA

I worked at The Goddard School (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have a child, you get a discount if you send your children there.

Cons

I was very excited to work at The Goddard School, believing it was really an exemplary and cutting-edge type of organization. What I found instead were management and staff that were rude, unappreciative, and unsupportive. The entire goal of the school was more about making the owners lots of cash vs. actually caring for the children or even consistently following half the so-called school protocol. If you have a CDA you can be a lead teacher, which means slightly better pay, but you are certainly expected to do your all for it. If you don't have a CDA, (an associate's degree in child-care), you are treated like a worthless pawn that is moved from room to room, with no consideration, etc. I had several years of child-care experience before I started, and I had a 4-year degree from a competitive school in a different field, but it made no difference. I was expected to work harder than I had ever done in my previous jobs for a measly $10/hr which couldn't even pay my bills. On top of that, I was treated like I was some low-down servant, and spent more time cleaning than actually working with the children, which was my purpose in being there in the first place. I won't forget that negative experience, and to all those who are interested in applying or sending their children, beware, and really check out the individual franchise and make sure they are not lying to you on half of what they are representing as fact. My assistant director acted more like a sorority girl, and the 'upper' management seemed more concerned with some mock hierarchy than actually having the school function. Dropping off their children, the parents had no clue about what actually was happening, (or not), during the day, and just seemed interested in the image of having their child go to a Goddard School. As a former child-care worker I can attest that the children's individuality, something that Goddard bases it's pedestal on, is not something that was really catered to at all, and what was really important were numbers, making parents happy, and group control. I'm really disgusted with this school. I don't recommend it on any level, not as staff, and not as a parent looking for a potential child-care center. I have never worked at a more unprofessional facility, and cannot understand the serious disregard for staff and child well-being, when there is more than enough money, resources, and people available to make it a truly great place to go to school and work.

Advice to Management

You need to pay people a living wage for pouring their heart, time, experience, and energy into a job that has so much meaning and impact. You need to treat your staff like they matter, because they are people, and because they are the foundation the entire school is based on.

3. "Assistant Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Jamison, PA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kids and Families. Families are interested and involved, open to and responsive to feedback. The kids made coming to work fun.

Cons

School is WAY too concerned with completing all things listed on the weekly schedule. There absolutely needs to be structure and goals in a school schedule, but there should be more flexibility. Many times we had to stop a lesson the kids were really enjoying to move on to the next thing we "had" to fit in for the day. Management is awful, it's all about the numbers & ratio. The minute any class is in ratio, staff members are pulled to another class so a staff member could be sent home. The owner is amazing to the parents faces, but awful to the staff.

Advice to Management

Treat you staff even half as nicely as you pretend you do when you talk to the parents, and be more realistic about planning time needed.