The Goddard School Lead Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Pros
Cons
  • Staff turnover, low pay (average for field) (in 30 reviews)

• The pay is so low for the amount of work that you will be doing (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Community and Environment"

Current Employee - Pre-k Lead Teacher in Chadds Ford, PA
    Current Employee - Pre-k Lead Teacher in Chadds Ford, PA

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very kind, welcoming and easy to work with, the parents are all friendly, and the children are so much fun to work with. I love that the school and staff is taken care of...it is clean, the environment is well kept, and the management team is there for you when you need to talk. I enjoy coming to work every single morning and that is something you can not pass up.

Cons

I do not have any about cons working here.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Do not send your child here or work at this establishment"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Freehold, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros at this location. Only horrible things to say

Cons

Everything is wrong with this school

Advice to Management

First of all, please understand everything I am about to say is the truth. In the beginning when I first started working here it was nice. I was told I would be making so much per hour, the management was accepting, and the place was somewhat clean. But I got my first paycheck and it was considerably less then what I was promised and when management was confronted, I was told "that conversation never took place." As I became set into my lead teacher position, things were not what I expected. I would purchase supplies for the classroom and would not get reimbursed for it. I shelled out over $300. in the few months I was there. I was bringing things from home so the children had items to use. I was then told by management to lie to the parents. He said to me, "you never tell the parents the truth, no matter what." This I did not understand. Why would you lie to a parent about their child, about the facility? It made no sense to me. I was also told I had to hide things from parents such as a child who has a behavior issue, a child who bites, a child who throws furniture, or a child who kicks and hits the teachers and other students. This is endangered the staff and students and I was told to ignore it. I had a child who cursed in my class and I was told do not tell the parent. This is wrong. I do not know about you who are reading this, but as a mother I want to know when my child misbehaves and as an educator, I cannot lie to parents it will only come back to the teacher. I know management does not want the public to know how crooked this school is because they do not want to lose the money, but would you like it if your child is getting bitten, hit kicked or punched by another student and it is covered up. How would you like to know about a 2 year old girl sticks her fingers down her throat and makes herself throw up just for attention? What kind of school does not bring all of this to the parent's attention. I have worked for many school districts and we have called parents into the school for a conference when things like this occur. Management is also very mean to the staff, they will not take the side of the staff at any time, even when they know the staff is correct. I truly believe management is not mentally balanced. They know nothing about education. One manager worked on wall street the other was an electrician, how could these people open a Goddard School with these professions? I was also promised benefits never heard anything about them as it was getting close to my 3 month period being over. The supplies are horrible. They do not have a selection of paper, paint and toys. I was told the manager was not buying anymore toys for the room. Well how do you expect 2 year olds to keep occupied with blocks, puzzles, and cars?

3. "great parents and children terrible directors"

Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paid/ unpaid vacation time
    paid thanksgiving, Christmas and holidays
    programs and lessons are engaging for the children

Cons

each franchise & owner is completely different
    terrible employee turn around
    front staff/ directors are clueless
    only care about gaining more children (more money)

Advice to Management

pay your employees a appropriate salary
    don't give a raise then take it away
    communicate effectively with your employees

5. "Management is cheap"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are friendly, they guarantee your agreed upon hours, pretty easy when it comes to time off.

Cons

No health benefits, management is cheap and stingy with staff. As soon as the classroom is within ratio, management demands that no extra staff be present. Despite the safety concerns and the availability of extra staff, they "can't" be in the room.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap and give your staff the help they need.

"Playing Favorites, no care for the kids"

Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Broomfield, CO

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are worth remembering.

Cons

Directors/ owner only care about money and have a teacher who is abusive to kids. They don't train anyone they just throw them into the classroom. Then demote them if they aren't doing what they want.

Advice to Management

Get new management

"It had it's days..."

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Hendersonville, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Hendersonville, TN

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the children, as that is my passion. The new management has done wonders for the school, considering the situation they came into (still not perfect). They will go above and beyond to help, but with all the issues within the school it gets overwhelming.
    Some (not all) of the parents are so nice and kind. Co-workers, in general, are pretty helpful and kind of friendly/nice.

Cons

They expect a lot out of you for what they're willing to pay. They will "try" to work with you on your schedule, but if you don't have kids or a family you aren't priority in their eyes. Management has gotten better, but still isn't 100%. Bathroom breaks are so hard to come by sometimes! Staff turn-over is high in the younger classrooms, and that is simply because management tends to focus on the older classes when in reality the younger classes need as much support as they can get. The degree to which you must lesson plan is maddening, considering you are given no regular scheduled time to complete any of it. All lesson planning/planning for class has to be done on your own time. This is frustrating because we aren't paid like a teacher, but expected to perform at that level. There is little room for growth here. You will easily get stuck in a room if you do somewhat well, even if it's not exactly where you want to be.This school looks great from the outside looking in, but the structure/scheduling/etc. is a crumbling mess.

"My experience at the Goddard School"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a good hourly salary

Cons

There is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

There should be more support for the Teachers.

"Not Perfect... But Ok"

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on location - great management. Raises for those who work hard. High tuition fees mean higher wages for employees.

Cons

Money-driven daycare... can lose sight of what's really important when working with children. Don't expect too much.

Advice to Management

Be more caring and considerate towards employees. Even if everyone is replaceable, you don't have to say that or treat them that way.

10. "Quality Preschools"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small classes, good support from supervisors/owners, allows you to be creative with lesson plans and classroom design, parents were great

Cons

Pay could have been better, lack of professional development, days off are minimal, not much room for growth or advancement

Advice to Management

Pay better for more qualified teachers, offer more professional development. The more you hire qualified teachers, the better your school will be. You get what you pay for...

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Olney, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, up to date technology, ongoing Center activities involving parents and community, parents seem interested in child's development, decent pay

Cons

Overly strict regulations (if you aren't perfect during classroom inspections, you lose your merit increase), no real orientation before put in classroom, administration not prepared for new staff

Advice to Management

Have a structured orientation program,( procedures, benefits, work schedule, etc) have procedures in place to welcome new staff, don't just throw them in a room