The Goddard School Reviews | Glassdoor

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay for the amount of work expected" (in 62 reviews)

• "No time outside of the class to work on lesson plans or assessments" (in 40 reviews)

"Lead Teacher"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Avon, IN
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Avon, IN

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for The Goddard School in Avon for 9 years. The management works with the teachers to give them the amount of time to prepare for their lessons, prepare their classrooms for the day and they have an open door policy to bring concerns to them. Over the years I was there I felt appreciated for the work that I was doing in my classroom as well as for the help I gave other teachers. If I had concerns I felt more than comfortable to talk with them and felt that my concerns were valued and we worked together to resolve them. I also felt that my opinions were not only valued but they were sought after because of my experience. The teachers helped each other with ideas for lessons and in their classrooms. The atmosphere was one of a team, supporting each other. Robert Cummins, the owner, was there daily and involved with the families and staff. I enjoyed working for the school, as well as with the management and the owner.

Cons

The School does not provide health benefits.

2. "Best of the Best!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Arnold, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher in Arnold, MD

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at a plethora of schools and feel that I have had a great overview on the good, the bad, and the ugly. The Goddard School of Arnold has amazing owners, directors, and staff. Everyone is so supportive and you definitely get a warm and welcoming vibe. This school will definitely help you grow as an educator. Their standards are high, but as a professional, why shouldn't they be!

You won't find a better school to work for.

Cons

No cons as of yet!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Westerville, OH

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I live getting to work with my kids every day. My owners take time to get to know each child and their families. You truly feel like a part of a family.

Cons

Pay, QA requirements, lack of working equipment

Advice to Management

Put more money into classroom supplies and give a better employee discount

4. "Lead teacher"

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and great environment.

Cons

None, this is a great place to work.

5. "Great atmosphere to teach in"

Current Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

They offer starting pay for an intern at $12 and starting for lead teacher at $14 which is great compared to other preschools. They also offer medical insurance and you get paid time off for the winter holiday break which is 8 days.

Cons

They are open till 6p so you may have the 9a-6pm shift. And they give you an hour paid lunch, which is not really paid because you are scheduled for 9hrs and only paid for 8hrs.

6. "Just like my own preschool"

Current Employee - Director At Morrisville, NC Goddard in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Director At Morrisville, NC Goddard in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great on site owners and company , great care given to children, schools teaching philosophy, Individualized lesson plan and flexibility

Cons

Not my own school

Advice to Management

Continue to build lasting relationships with parents and children.

7. "assistant teacher"

I have been working at The Goddard School part-time

Pros

great learning environment not only for the children but for teachers too

Cons

low pay for people who have an education degree

8. "Assistant Pre-K Teacher"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

Being close with the students and their families, is amazing. Learning from of the teachers that have been teaching for a long time, is very helpful. The director was great as well.

Cons

The pay is not the best, and they do not offer benefits. Some teachers were not the best, but made out to parents to seem they were great. My lead teacher, had a great resume and was very qualified, but had no business teaching, she was lost patience with the children and would yell. She also lied about what she was teaching the children, she would write a lesson plan, but rarely do anything on it. She would be mean to the kids and then act like she just loved the children when the parents were picking up and dropping off.

9. "Ballantyne location"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

Coworkers are amazing! Most teachers work hard and do what they think is best for the children. Like I said- most- a few are gossipy and rude. But overall the teachers are kind.

Cons

The administration is horrible and talks about other employees behind their backs and even makes fun of parents. They don’t follow state regulations all the time and the director is leaving teachers in illegal situations at the expense of taking care of a child not enrolled while in work. Most management is unapproachable and I forgiving. They make snide comments to belittle you but cower when true confrontation is needed. I would suggest working for this location.

"Lead"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building relationships with the children.
    Great teachers at the school.

Cons

Management team is awful: they pick favorites, they don’t transition correctly, they don’t communicate with teachers, they yell, have attitude, ignore you if you aren’t a favorite. The management team doesn’t support their teachers..you get more support if you are a favorite and they tend to pick one in each classroom, even when the other teacher does more of the work.
    The pay: the pay is not great at this school. Some teachers make a lot more than others and the raises are low. They literally base your raise on how much they like you, not how well you did on the parent survey or how great you are at your job. The benefits are lower than average and the health insurance is way too high when you don’t have sick days. And you are always expected to be there. And if you call out, they give you crap for it and coax you into coming into work..which isn’t right.
    Too much work for low pay, too many things you have to do with no time to do it. You constantly have to take work home with you.
    They care too much about money and let any child into the center..even when they need special attention and help. If you ask for support and help, you don’t get it unless you’re a favorite. The director seems like she doesn’t care. She is supposed to do monthly observations for the classroom and kids that the need help and she doesn’t. No one there really knows what she does for her job.
    The owners don’t have a clue and they act like they do...which only makes it more frustrating.
    You can’t do your job as a teacher when the office doesn’t support you, and they make the choice to not help you succeed at your job.

Do not work at this school: Westone Plaza. It starts out great and then it gets bad; it escalates quickly. 15 teachers have left in a year and a half. The other school in Chantilly is owned by the same people and staff members there have discussed the same issues.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers with more respect and support. The teachers carry the school and actually deal with the children...just because you sit in the front office doesn’t mean you know what’s best for the kids. All you care about is money. Honestly, it shouldn’t be called an accredited preschool, it’s a daycare with how the children transition and how there’s no communication between the office and teachers. You guys have attitide, you yell at teachers, you make teachers upset and feel awful. You pick favorites and if you aren’t a favorite, then you treat them bad. If people speak up for themselves, you don’t like that either. And you wonder why the turnover rate is so high.....you guys don’t deserve the great teachers that are there holding the school up.