The Goddard School Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to job responsibilities (in 32 reviews)

• The pay is not that great for the amount of work you do, especially working with such young children (in 13 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher in Laurel, MD

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The are children and parents. The children are loving and the parents will to work with the teacher to help their children grow and learn.

Cons

The communication between teacher and administration is bad. The communication between administration and parents on information they need to know.

2. "N/A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

I'm in childcare for the children.

Cons

The newest school in Concord is a JOKE! The moral is low, teacher turnover is high, schedules change on a weekly basis without communicating changes to teachers in advance, hours are cut drastically for "current" staff when a "new" teacher starts as if trying to force out the ones who've been there from the beginning. The owners beg you to quit your current job with little or no notice to the employer, then wonder why teachers quit on the spot when they are fed up with the lack of respect from the owners. Owners nit pick on tiny insignificant things while not acknowledging the hard work teachers do every day.
    Pay is a joke as well- most teachers said they took a pay cut to work at the new center. There is no health coverage. If you leave before 90 days you must pay $200 for the drug test and 2 cheap polyester shirts.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your teachers or you will not have the quality staff you say you want. Teachers know where they are appreciated and will stay there.

3. "Lead Toddler Teacher"

Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Wilton, CT

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work with kids.

Cons

teachers are not treated equally, no overtime, there are times you are basically pushed out the door to not hit overtime, no planning time (you are suppose to get a hour of planning time but never do).

Advice to Management

Communicate better between owner, managers, and workers. Also, have consistency. Don't do one thing then do another.

4. "Resource"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at The Goddard School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students and their families are incredible- always eager to hear about upcoming events and opportunities.

Cons

The management absolutely cannot communicate. They refuse to hear employees' concerns and perspectives. Rude, sarcastic, and passive aggressive. The "training" process (webinar videos) are more important to the management than actually ensuring a comfortable, exciting, and safe work environment.VERY high turnaround rate- in the few days that I lasted, 2 other people quit besides me.

Advice to Management

Do the best that you can on your own, and don't take anything personally. Know that you won't be able to speak your mind. No one will want to know about you or your story- your availablity is ultimately the deciding factor.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Concord Township, OH
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Concord Township, OH

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The parents and working with the children

Cons

The director lied to me countless times, so much gossip and lies. It was the worst place I've ever worked. The owner is very greedy and doesn't give raises. Terrible place!!

Advice to Management

Be professional and stop lying to your employees!!!

"Do not send your child here or work at this establishment"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Freehold, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros at this location. Only horrible things to say

Cons

Everything is wrong with this school

Advice to Management

First of all, please understand everything I am about to say is the truth. In the beginning when I first started working here it was nice. I was told I would be making so much per hour, the management was accepting, and the place was somewhat clean. But I got my first paycheck and it was considerably less then what I was promised and when management was confronted, I was told "that conversation never took place." As I became set into my lead teacher position, things were not what I expected. I would purchase supplies for the classroom and would not get reimbursed for it. I shelled out over $300. in the few months I was there. I was bringing things from home so the children had items to use. I was then told by management to lie to the parents. He said to me, "you never tell the parents the truth, no matter what." This I did not understand. Why would you lie to a parent about their child, about the facility? It made no sense to me. I was also told I had to hide things from parents such as a child who has a behavior issue, a child who bites, a child who throws furniture, or a child who kicks and hits the teachers and other students. This is endangered the staff and students and I was told to ignore it. I had a child who cursed in my class and I was told do not tell the parent. This is wrong. I do not know about you who are reading this, but as a mother I want to know when my child misbehaves and as an educator, I cannot lie to parents it will only come back to the teacher. I know management does not want the public to know how crooked this school is because they do not want to lose the money, but would you like it if your child is getting bitten, hit kicked or punched by another student and it is covered up. How would you like to know about a 2 year old girl sticks her fingers down her throat and makes herself throw up just for attention? What kind of school does not bring all of this to the parent's attention. I have worked for many school districts and we have called parents into the school for a conference when things like this occur. Management is also very mean to the staff, they will not take the side of the staff at any time, even when they know the staff is correct. I truly believe management is not mentally balanced. They know nothing about education. One manager worked on wall street the other was an electrician, how could these people open a Goddard School with these professions? I was also promised benefits never heard anything about them as it was getting close to my 3 month period being over. The supplies are horrible. They do not have a selection of paper, paint and toys. I was told the manager was not buying anymore toys for the room. Well how do you expect 2 year olds to keep occupied with blocks, puzzles, and cars?

"Playing Favorites, no care for the kids"

Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Broomfield, CO

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are worth remembering.

Cons

Directors/ owner only care about money and have a teacher who is abusive to kids. They don't train anyone they just throw them into the classroom. Then demote them if they aren't doing what they want.

Advice to Management

Get new management

"Assistant Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Jamison, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Jamison, PA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kids and Families. Families are interested and involved, open to and responsive to feedback. The kids made coming to work fun.

Cons

School is WAY too concerned with completing all things listed on the weekly schedule. There absolutely needs to be structure and goals in a school schedule, but there should be more flexibility. Many times we had to stop a lesson the kids were really enjoying to move on to the next thing we "had" to fit in for the day. Management is awful, it's all about the numbers & ratio. The minute any class is in ratio, staff members are pulled to another class so a staff member could be sent home. The owner is amazing to the parents faces, but awful to the staff.

Advice to Management

Treat you staff even half as nicely as you pretend you do when you talk to the parents, and be more realistic about planning time needed.

"Think twice, Or maybe 10 times..."

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

You get a lot of freedom in your own classroom. You can decorate it & set it up however you please.

Cons

A lot of neglect/ abuse to the children from not only certain teachers, but also the management staff.
    Teachers are not continuously in the same classroom.
    Owners have NO knowledge of what goes on on a daily basis in the classrooms.
    CLEANLINESS IS NOT A TOP PRIORITY!
    & Overall, a VERY unprofessional environment!!!
    Teachers do A LOT of their planning/constructing activities at home. Practically NO lesson planning time- even though you're promised that.

So terrible the things that go on here on a DAILY basis, especially when these families pay a lot of money for their child/children to attend.

Advice to Management

ORGANIZATION IS KEY!!!
    FOLLOWING STATE LAWS & COMPANY POLICIES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!
    HAVE COMPASSION AND CONCERN FOR YOUR STAFF MEMBERS!!!

REMEMBER, YOU ALL ARE A TEAM!!! ACT LIKE ONE!

"Lead Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macungie, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macungie, PA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children and families are generous and for the most part wonderful people. The facility is new and beautiful.

Cons

Unprofessionalism from the office and numerous other employees. Very high turnover rate. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, pay them what they deserve. Take into account what they know, not who they know.