The Goddard School Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to job responsibilities (in 32 reviews)

• The pay is not that great for the amount of work you do, especially working with such young children (in 13 reviews)

"Assistant"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Huntingdon Valley, PA

I worked at The Goddard School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with. The parents are lovely and some of the teachers are also great to work with as well

Cons

Horrible pay, staff is so short that some early employees do not even get to go home on their due time out

2. "I enjoy the most of the children, their parents , my co-workers and the directors. I do not like the on site owner."

Current Employee - Lead Pre-k Teacher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Pre-k Teacher in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The directors are helpful and kind. They try to make the owner understand what the teachers need to be successful. (The owner will not even come stand in a classroom for 4 minutes so that a teacher can go to the bathroom.) The parents and children are pretty good to work with.

Cons

The owner is condescending of all staff and expects more than is possible. She is very quick to point out any shortcomings but does not acknowledge hard work. She is a former elementary teacher, and thinks her staff are working in a school district but should not have the "perks" of being in a school district...like scheduled planning time, off periods, days for parent teacher conferences with out students, or the $10K more that district teachers get a year.

Advice to Management

Your staff is on the same team you are on, we want the same things for the children and the school, stop treating us like we are children! Listen to the staff with an open mind, stop putting words in our mouth. We might have some good suggestions to help further everyone along to the goal.

3. "Underpaid and Expected to do High Amounts of Work"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Jamison, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Jamison, PA

I worked at The Goddard School (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have a child, you get a discount if you send your children there.

Cons

I was very excited to work at The Goddard School, believing it was really an exemplary and cutting-edge type of organization. What I found instead were management and staff that were rude, unappreciative, and unsupportive. The entire goal of the school was more about making the owners lots of cash vs. actually caring for the children or even consistently following half the so-called school protocol. If you have a CDA you can be a lead teacher, which means slightly better pay, but you are certainly expected to do your all for it. If you don't have a CDA, (an associate's degree in child-care), you are treated like a worthless pawn that is moved from room to room, with no consideration, etc. I had several years of child-care experience before I started, and I had a 4-year degree from a competitive school in a different field, but it made no difference. I was expected to work harder than I had ever done in my previous jobs for a measly $10/hr which couldn't even pay my bills. On top of that, I was treated like I was some low-down servant, and spent more time cleaning than actually working with the children, which was my purpose in being there in the first place. I won't forget that negative experience, and to all those who are interested in applying or sending their children, beware, and really check out the individual franchise and make sure they are not lying to you on half of what they are representing as fact. My assistant director acted more like a sorority girl, and the 'upper' management seemed more concerned with some mock hierarchy than actually having the school function. Dropping off their children, the parents had no clue about what actually was happening, (or not), during the day, and just seemed interested in the image of having their child go to a Goddard School. As a former child-care worker I can attest that the children's individuality, something that Goddard bases it's pedestal on, is not something that was really catered to at all, and what was really important were numbers, making parents happy, and group control. I'm really disgusted with this school. I don't recommend it on any level, not as staff, and not as a parent looking for a potential child-care center. I have never worked at a more unprofessional facility, and cannot understand the serious disregard for staff and child well-being, when there is more than enough money, resources, and people available to make it a truly great place to go to school and work.

Advice to Management

You need to pay people a living wage for pouring their heart, time, experience, and energy into a job that has so much meaning and impact. You need to treat your staff like they matter, because they are people, and because they are the foundation the entire school is based on.

"Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Infant Supervisor in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Infant Supervisor in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High quality childcare center that gives young children an incredible education.

Cons

The management and ownership at the Fort Collins, CO site only care about making money. They do not show much appreciation to the teachers and when issues arise, they do everything they can to avoid confrontation.

Advice to Management

If you treat your staff with respect and show appreciation to them for all their hard work, they will enjoy their job and work hard to make it a great place for the children.

6. "Maybe it depends on which location you are at"

Former Employee - Teacher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff, children, and parents are kind and loving
    Great location and potential

Cons

This particular location has sadly gained the rep of being stickly a cash flow masked as a preschool.
    Owner has a very inhuman approach to children and staff. Current management plays the game to make themselves look good while throwing other under the bus.
    They have lost ALOT of great teachers and one really good assistant director because of the owner.

Advice to Management

Before you act ask your self how would you feel if it was your child or your job in the situation could have been an amazing school and still can be if you want it to be.

7. "great parents and children terrible directors"

Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paid/ unpaid vacation time
    paid thanksgiving, Christmas and holidays
    programs and lessons are engaging for the children

Cons

each franchise & owner is completely different
    terrible employee turn around
    front staff/ directors are clueless
    only care about gaining more children (more money)

Advice to Management

pay your employees a appropriate salary
    don't give a raise then take it away
    communicate effectively with your employees

8. "Sketchy Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centerville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centerville, OH

Pros

Love the kids and the parents, as well as most of the employees

Cons

Low pay, staff turnover is way too high which lacks consistency for the kids, disorganized, a lot is staged from daily pictures to State and NAEYC inspections, does not pay correct overtime but expects you to work anyways, switched cleaning crews to a group who "doesn't move things, only cleans what's in sight on the floor and around objects, not under", things around the building and in the building are NOT up to standard and the owner does not want to pay to get them fixed. Rooms are small and teachers are often times out of ratio with having too many kids. Also recently switched purchased lunches for kids to something that is cheap; toddlers are getting soup for example on styrofoam plates.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees for the work they put in. Don't set them up for failure.

9. "Preschool Teacher"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Norwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Norwood, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children is the most rewarding aspect of this job. The hours aren't terrible, and the preschool itself is very clean

Cons

THE STAFF IS HORRIBLE. I don't know why these people work with children because they are absolutely miserable every single day at work. When starting there, I was absolutely ignored, and most of the staff would talk to each other as if i am not even there. Management makes up reasons for disciplining you. I had my head teacher yell and scream at me in front of the kids and other staff because THEY failed to watch a child who ended up getting bitten.

Advice to Management

Hire staff that actually want to come to work, and enjoy working with children.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Olney, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, up to date technology, ongoing Center activities involving parents and community, parents seem interested in child's development, decent pay

Cons

Overly strict regulations (if you aren't perfect during classroom inspections, you lose your merit increase), no real orientation before put in classroom, administration not prepared for new staff

Advice to Management

Have a structured orientation program,( procedures, benefits, work schedule, etc) have procedures in place to welcome new staff, don't just throw them in a room

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Teacher in Broadview Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Teacher in Broadview Heights, OH

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

Experience. Kids are eager to learn and happy to be there. Good pay. Decent benefits. Room for advancement within the company. Other locations to transfer to across the country if you relocate.

Cons

Management isn't supportive, plays favorites and is only about the bottom line. Things look great on the surface. It's all about looking like they follow Goddard policies. No consistency.

Advice to Management

Treat us with dignity and respect. Parents don't like or trust you, they bring their children to your "school" for the teachers and they tell us this all the time. I was warned before starting about your practices but didn't listen. I wish I would have. I left there feeling beaten down and unworthy. If anything, I learned there is more to being happy than the paycheck. It's not worth it. The majority of the teachers that I worked with feel the same way. Those with seniority are trapped and you know it, they can't afford to leave.