The Goddard School Reviews | Glassdoor

The Goddard School Reviews

Updated March 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Staff turnover, low pay (average for field) (in 30 reviews)

• The pay is not that great for the amount of work you do, especially working with such young children (in 13 reviews)

1. "Good center, but it's the typical childcare employee experience."

Former Employee - Assistant Infant Teacher
    Former Employee - Assistant Infant Teacher

I worked at The Goddard School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Children are great, wonderful parent-teacher relationships, awesome curriculum, activities, and general care directed at children. You can meet a lot of good people and cultivate fun and loving relationships. It's also a great place to get silly--kids love silly. And working with kids overall is just a lot of fun. They are intrinsically authentic, the way we're all meant to be before we're ruined by logic and society.

Cons

Maybe not all centers are like this and it depends on location, in terms of Goddard Schools and all daycare centers in general, but from my experience, it's typical childcare center employment. The more education and experience you have, the better. But the pay is generally awful for a job description that goes on for pages and pages. We're taking care of children and the pay should reflect that. As a result, teachers are exhausted and frustrated and there's a very high turnover rate. It's just irritating. Personally, I have about ten years of experience working in childcare and a college degree, though not in Early Childhood Education. I make pennies. It's all about money at these places...at these places of learning and care for tiny children. The centers are independently owned, though. So it's not really Corporate that's the issue. It's just the reality of childcare.

Advice to Management

To all daycare owners everywhere: treat your employees right and pay them fairly. Stop being greedy and all of your problems will be solved.

2. "Resource"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at The Goddard School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students and their families are incredible- always eager to hear about upcoming events and opportunities.

Cons

The management absolutely cannot communicate. They refuse to hear employees' concerns and perspectives. Rude, sarcastic, and passive aggressive. The "training" process (webinar videos) are more important to the management than actually ensuring a comfortable, exciting, and safe work environment.VERY high turnaround rate- in the few days that I lasted, 2 other people quit besides me.

Advice to Management

Do the best that you can on your own, and don't take anything personally. Know that you won't be able to speak your mind. No one will want to know about you or your story- your availablity is ultimately the deciding factor.

3. "fun learning experince"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

wonderful curriculum, amazing learning environment for children. friendly faces always to greet you. wonderful parent teacher relationships.

Cons

pay could be better, communication amongst front office and teachers could be better.

5. "Teacher assistant"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

The kids and the families in general. Children really can make your day.

Cons

Beware of temporary management, unprofessional and covert racism. High turnover, burn out from staff, low pay.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees fairly. Keep professional.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Concord Township, OH
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Concord Township, OH

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The parents and working with the children

Cons

The director lied to me countless times, so much gossip and lies. It was the worst place I've ever worked. The owner is very greedy and doesn't give raises. Terrible place!!

Advice to Management

Be professional and stop lying to your employees!!!

7. "teacher"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice looking space

Cons

No benfits, no salary, by the hour, no paid time off/no paid vacations

"Do not send your child here or work at this establishment"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Freehold, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros at this location. Only horrible things to say

Cons

Everything is wrong with this school

Advice to Management

First of all, please understand everything I am about to say is the truth. In the beginning when I first started working here it was nice. I was told I would be making so much per hour, the management was accepting, and the place was somewhat clean. But I got my first paycheck and it was considerably less then what I was promised and when management was confronted, I was told "that conversation never took place." As I became set into my lead teacher position, things were not what I expected. I would purchase supplies for the classroom and would not get reimbursed for it. I shelled out over $300. in the few months I was there. I was bringing things from home so the children had items to use. I was then told by management to lie to the parents. He said to me, "you never tell the parents the truth, no matter what." This I did not understand. Why would you lie to a parent about their child, about the facility? It made no sense to me. I was also told I had to hide things from parents such as a child who has a behavior issue, a child who bites, a child who throws furniture, or a child who kicks and hits the teachers and other students. This is endangered the staff and students and I was told to ignore it. I had a child who cursed in my class and I was told do not tell the parent. This is wrong. I do not know about you who are reading this, but as a mother I want to know when my child misbehaves and as an educator, I cannot lie to parents it will only come back to the teacher. I know management does not want the public to know how crooked this school is because they do not want to lose the money, but would you like it if your child is getting bitten, hit kicked or punched by another student and it is covered up. How would you like to know about a 2 year old girl sticks her fingers down her throat and makes herself throw up just for attention? What kind of school does not bring all of this to the parent's attention. I have worked for many school districts and we have called parents into the school for a conference when things like this occur. Management is also very mean to the staff, they will not take the side of the staff at any time, even when they know the staff is correct. I truly believe management is not mentally balanced. They know nothing about education. One manager worked on wall street the other was an electrician, how could these people open a Goddard School with these professions? I was also promised benefits never heard anything about them as it was getting close to my 3 month period being over. The supplies are horrible. They do not have a selection of paper, paint and toys. I was told the manager was not buying anymore toys for the room. Well how do you expect 2 year olds to keep occupied with blocks, puzzles, and cars?

9. "Maybe it depends on which location you are at"

Former Employee - Teacher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff, children, and parents are kind and loving
    Great location and potential

Cons

This particular location has sadly gained the rep of being stickly a cash flow masked as a preschool.
    Owner has a very inhuman approach to children and staff. Current management plays the game to make themselves look good while throwing other under the bus.
    They have lost ALOT of great teachers and one really good assistant director because of the owner.

Advice to Management

Before you act ask your self how would you feel if it was your child or your job in the situation could have been an amazing school and still can be if you want it to be.

10. "A GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!!!"

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Pasadena, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Pasadena, MD

I have been working at The Goddard School part-time

Pros

I feel like working at the Goddard School in Pasadena, has been a great experience. Everyday working here has been very fun!! Working with the kids who attend here always brightens my day!

Cons

I dont believe there is any cons to working here!!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing!! I LOVE you guys!

11. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - French Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - French Teacher in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great environment. Friendly coworkers. Great owner. Love the families and their children. Above average pay.

Cons

Nothing bad at all about my Goddard location. It is a pleasure working there.

Advice to Management

None