The Goddard School Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay considering cost of tuition (in 42 reviews)

• No time outside of the class to work on lesson plans or assessments (in 34 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and excellent management.

Cons

There were times where we were in compliance with numbers but there was still too much to do for the amount of staff we had.
    Fire drills with the 1 -2 year-olds were very difficult.
    Pay was minimal and hours were sometimes shorted.

Advice to Management

Get staff to help in rooms you know are going to be difficult to manage during fire drills. Everyone should have to help during fire drills for the safety of the children.

2. "teacher"

Pros

having the most devoted children and their families

Cons

respect from the higher ups

3. "Teacher"

I worked at The Goddard School part-time

Pros

Working with kids
    Management treated everyone like family

Cons

Low pay
    Not enough time to work on lesson planning
    Few options for career progression

4. "Teacher Assistant"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

great curriculum, supportive colleagues and organized and clean environment

Cons

understaffed, low salary, expensive insurance

Advice to Management

Provide better healthcare as staff becomes sick easily because kids get sick all the time and spread their germs.

I had a BA in was paid 9 an hour, which does not help with the cost of living.

5. "Don't get your hopes up"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Magnolia, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Magnolia, TX

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children's smiling faces was the only pro about this job!

Cons

The management has no clue how to run a school. They play favorites and discriminate against certain people. There were multiple days I only got 1 restroom break and no lunch but I worked for 9 hours straight. I thought that was against the law.......They want us to do our lesson plans 2 weeks ahead of time but they never give us lesson planning time. One point I went to the owner to tell her I was worried about the safety of a child in my classroom and her exact words were "well the mom wants him in your class and I really want this SALE!" That's absolutely insane to me. The food they feed the kids is horrible. The children don't like it and won't eat it so they are hungry all day and are just cranky bc they are hungry. I felt so sorry for the kids bc the management just lies straight to the parents faces. They lie about why the kids teachers aren't there. Really they are trying to get rid of employees to hire more to pay them less bc the owner is just greedy. They don't have enough employees to break everyone plus they had to keep switching kids into inappropriate classrooms.

Advice to Management

They really need to get their job done and under control or the teachers can't do theirs.

6. "The Goddard school, Peachtree Corners Norcross Ga 30092"

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

The children and families are wonderful. There are great training opportunities for serious Early Childhood Educators.

Cons

I had the worse experience working with a few of the teachers and the director at this location. There is a lot of malicious gossip and harassment at this center. The director goes back and forth with gossip between teachers. This caused a lot of friction in the over all work environment. You don't really feel as if you are working as a team. You may come across one kind teacher or two but for the most part, everyone speaks poorly to each other. There is no professionalism and respect between one another. Working in this kind of setting caused a lot of stress. I almost became physically sick from working in such a negative atmosphere. Parents have no idea what you are dealing with as a teacher from day to day while trying to provide the best care for their children.. You are not only providing care but you take time from your day to plan and implement activities that help each child learn at their own pace.

Advice to Management

I would encourage the owner to consider installing cameras at this location. There also needs to be enough age appropriate materials and toys for their toddler classroom. There needs to be a no gossip and harassment policy put in place. This may be in the handbook but it needs to be put into practice. A hostel work place does in fact effect your performance as a teacher..

"Big disappointment"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Southlake, TX

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

staff meeting were provided with generous amount of food, parents were mostly nice and the kids were fun to work with

Cons

This school will OVER WORK you big time for terrible pay they will give you. They are always under staffed ( which seemed as if they didn't have too much of a problem with because it saved them money) so they will make you do bunch of extra work that you were told not to do! The turn over rate is ridiculous and most of the employees are super tired, super over worked and unhappy. Their number one priority is the gain new students for the profit, and didn't even care about the students health or well being after. The educational side is a complete joke and it is extremely false advertised to the parents. Too many children in one class and not enough teachers or help is given. The school is not cleaned properly and has mold, extreme dust build up and bacterial residue growing on the sides of the walls. The school is so stingy that they will not even provide plates for snack time, paper towels had to be used as plates and there would be hardly enough snacks and food lefts for the children. The amount of money they would take monthly from the parents is a ridiculous amount of money for the benefits they provided for the kids and the employees pay and demands they had from each teacher. There would also be no time for the teachers to plan their lessons, planning lesson on an hourly pay is not right. Oh and on top of it all, they do not provide ANY health benefits.

Advice to Management

Get your school cleaned properly, provide the teachers with better help, give teachers enough time to lesson plan, stop forgetting to bring children that need ice packs when hurt or to call their parents when they are sick instead of chit chatting in the office, provide employees with health benefits.

The Goddard School Response

Oct 17, 2017 – Manager, Interactive Media

As the on-site owner of The Goddard School located in Southlake, TX I am saddened to receive this review. We pride ourselves on the attention, courtesy, respect and professionalism we show our... More

"Made A Mistake Leaving This Place"

Former Employee - Teacher in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bethesda, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made a mistake leaving this school thinking there was something better. I also was pressured by older teachers who spread false rumors and negativity to leave. Great facility, good kids, good programming and the management was caring and organized in comparison to where I am now.
    Good Benefits & Pay

Cons

I should have never left.
    Unfounded Gossip.

Advice to Management

Might be good for the old negative teachers to leave as they will gain the perspective I did. Hang in there. It is a really good school.

"Assistant Lead"

Former Employee - Assistant Lead in Magnolia, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Lead in Magnolia, TX

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The location is at a good spot.

Cons

Horrible management, this Magnolia location needs experience directors. They are hiring non degreed teachers the owner says thats better than a degreed teacher. Do not set up the kids to be failures.....instead of discipline they want to give the students a lollipop and iPad and reality public school doesn't do that! This business needs help or it will not make it in this small town!! The food they feed the kids needs attention.

Advice to Management

You need to get experience managing employees, do not lie to parents about why staff left, be truthful about the staff bios online. The kids need to be disciplined when needed and do not set them up to fail!! Be consistent!

10. "Lead Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids and their families!!
    Owner is on site and doesn't mind spending money on supplies!
    Supportive director and assistant director.
    Writing own lesson plans.
    Paid time off at Christmas (after 90 days of FT employment).

Cons

No health insurance!!!
    Some staff constantly call off and make it difficult on the rest.
    Low pay considering cost of tuition. Parents don't realize bulk of money doesn't go to teachers.