The Goddard School Reviews | Glassdoor

The Goddard School Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay in comparison to job responsibilities (in 32 reviews)

• The pay is not that great for the amount of work you do, especially working with such young children (in 13 reviews)

"Assistant Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in West Chester, PA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children are excellent to work with. I really loved all the teachers as well. We were close group of friends that would always help each other out when needed.

Cons

The pay if not good compared to all the work you are doing throughout the day. Being with so many children of all hours of the day is exhausting and breaks are much needed.

Advice to Management

Help the teachers more if asked, listen to their complaints whether it be about children or their parents. Teacher appreciation is a must as well! Teachers need to feel appreciated and respected.

"My experience at the Goddard School"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a good hourly salary

Cons

There is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

There should be more support for the Teachers.

3. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Hendersonville, TN
    Current Employee - Teacher in Hendersonville, TN

Pros

Great work environment. Working with children is always exciting and everyday is something new. The new Management has made the work environment more fun! They work with you on your schedule and always make family a priority! There is a lot of room to grow!

Cons

Some parents have very high demands. But they are always met to the best of our abilities.

"It had it's days..."

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Hendersonville, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Hendersonville, TN

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the children, as that is my passion. The new management has done wonders for the school, considering the situation they came into (still not perfect). They will go above and beyond to help, but with all the issues within the school it gets overwhelming.
    Some (not all) of the parents are so nice and kind. Co-workers, in general, are pretty helpful and kind of friendly/nice.

Cons

They expect a lot out of you for what they're willing to pay. They will "try" to work with you on your schedule, but if you don't have kids or a family you aren't priority in their eyes. Management has gotten better, but still isn't 100%. Bathroom breaks are so hard to come by sometimes! Staff turn-over is high in the younger classrooms, and that is simply because management tends to focus on the older classes when in reality the younger classes need as much support as they can get. The degree to which you must lesson plan is maddening, considering you are given no regular scheduled time to complete any of it. All lesson planning/planning for class has to be done on your own time. This is frustrating because we aren't paid like a teacher, but expected to perform at that level. There is little room for growth here. You will easily get stuck in a room if you do somewhat well, even if it's not exactly where you want to be.This school looks great from the outside looking in, but the structure/scheduling/etc. is a crumbling mess.

6. "Preschool Teacher"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Norwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Norwood, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children is the most rewarding aspect of this job. The hours aren't terrible, and the preschool itself is very clean

Cons

THE STAFF IS HORRIBLE. I don't know why these people work with children because they are absolutely miserable every single day at work. When starting there, I was absolutely ignored, and most of the staff would talk to each other as if i am not even there. Management makes up reasons for disciplining you. I had my head teacher yell and scream at me in front of the kids and other staff because THEY failed to watch a child who ended up getting bitten.

Advice to Management

Hire staff that actually want to come to work, and enjoy working with children.

"Not Perfect... But Ok"

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on location - great management. Raises for those who work hard. High tuition fees mean higher wages for employees.

Cons

Money-driven daycare... can lose sight of what's really important when working with children. Don't expect too much.

Advice to Management

Be more caring and considerate towards employees. Even if everyone is replaceable, you don't have to say that or treat them that way.

8. "Quality Preschools"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small classes, good support from supervisors/owners, allows you to be creative with lesson plans and classroom design, parents were great

Cons

Pay could have been better, lack of professional development, days off are minimal, not much room for growth or advancement

Advice to Management

Pay better for more qualified teachers, offer more professional development. The more you hire qualified teachers, the better your school will be. You get what you pay for...

9. "employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

I have been working at The Goddard School (Less than a year)

Pros

As with all childcare jobs, the children and the families are always the best things about working!

Cons

Each Goddard is individually owned so you can end up with bad owners like I did. They have no experience in childcare, little experience running a business and treat teachers poorly. My owners expected perfection at all times. They would yell at teachers in the hall regardless of who could hear them. They change expectations without communicating the change and then hold teachers accountable for the new standard. Teachers don't smile because they are constantly worried about getting fired or written up for small things. Administration cant effectively do their jobs because essential information is not communicated to them to pass on to staff.

Advice to Management

Advice to the owners: Let your admin team to do their jobs. Support your teachers by pointing out the positive things they are doing on a regular basis. Learn how to communicate effectively with your staff. When staff asks for help, do not make them feel incompetent for asking for help. Communicate with staff and admin about changes before implementing them, and stick to the agreed upon timeline. Listen to staff and admin about the good things your staff is doing, and work with them as they want to grow professionally. Support your staff as they go through this growth. Stop being so wishy-washy with all decisions. Learn the industry before deciding to open a business.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Olney, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, up to date technology, ongoing Center activities involving parents and community, parents seem interested in child's development, decent pay

Cons

Overly strict regulations (if you aren't perfect during classroom inspections, you lose your merit increase), no real orientation before put in classroom, administration not prepared for new staff

Advice to Management

Have a structured orientation program,( procedures, benefits, work schedule, etc) have procedures in place to welcome new staff, don't just throw them in a room

"Open Experence"

Former Employee - Infant Assistant in South Toms River, NJ
    Former Employee - Infant Assistant in South Toms River, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Staff where friendly, and helpful when needed.

Cons

The hours changed offend and didn't help with school classes, Management where not together on how to run staff and center, a lot of cracks .