The Good Food Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

The Good Food Institute Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2019

Found 20 reviews

4.7
The Good Food Institute CEO Bruce Friedrich (no image)
Bruce Friedrich

"Cool Mission and Nice People"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Good Food Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive environment with an exciting mission.

Cons

I cannot think of any Cons.

The Good Food Institute2019-08-05

"I consider myself truly blessed to be working at GFI."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Remote, OR

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Fast-moving, entrepreneurial nonprofit that is accomplishing so much every day through the efforts of a small, diverse team of amazing, talented, good-hearted people. And, by the way, did I mention that we’re helping to save the world? 2. The Executive Director really cares about people and invests the resources to ensure we have a good work environment. Despite having only about 60 staff, we have a full-time... employee dedicated to employee engagement. All-staff meetings take place 1-2 times a week where information is shared with everyone, 2 times a year there are all staff retreats, and technology is used to make you feel very connected even though everyone works remotely. There are lots of remote clubs and social activities, but you don’t need to participate if you don’t want to (in other words, even though there are lots of extroverts, introverts are also part of the team 😊). There is zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, employees are expected to treat each other with kindness and respect. The Executive Director is not only available to everyone, but makes a point of reaching out and keeping in touch with everyone. 3. Remote work environment provides tons of flexibility and is great for the wallet and time management (no getting dressed up for work, commuting or dry-cleaning costs). It is totally acceptable (and welcome) for kids and companion animals to be seen/heard occasionally on video conferences which removes the stress that sometimes occurs when working from home. 4. Despite being 3 years young, strategy and objectives are well thought-out, organized and communicated. There is no office politics – we’re all trying to achieve the same objectives and we success or fail as a team.

Cons

1. Like most nonprofits, we’re short staffed for everything we want to accomplish, but efforts are being made to address that. 2. As with any new organization that is growing very quickly, there are some growing pains. The leadership team’s dedication to transparency means that information is shared as quickly as it can be, sometimes before plans are completely hashed out. People who are not comfortable with a... fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment may find themselves uncomfortable at times.

Advice to Management

As you grow, don’t lose your entrepreneurial spirit and nimbleness. With growth comes the need for process and controls, but I hope that we manage to avoid unnecessary bureaucracy and “process only for process sake”.

The Good Food Institute2019-06-23

"I can’t imagine leaving this job, these people, or this cause"

Current Employee - Hiring Team Manager

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

I could write a book about the pros. The GFI team is talented, dedicated, smart, humble, focused, and strategic. GFI’s monthly highlights provide inspiring insight into how hard everyone works, and how much they care and accomplish to help people, animals, and the planet. Internal weekly presentations from GFI’s teams, retreats, conferences, and other events keep us connected. The culture is supportive,... professional, filled with engaging clubs and activities, transparent, survey-driven, and unlike anywhere else I’ve ever worked. The executive director is singularly focused on doing good and serves as a highly effective ambassador for the organization. The directors are professional, respectful, competent, welcoming, and results-driven. The director I work for is patient, smart, highly competent, thoughtful, appreciative, always asks for my input, and allows me the flexibility to make improvements. I inundate her with suggestions to improve our systems, and she always welcomes them. She’s a special person and the best supervisor I’ve ever had--a real leader. As a result of my experiences at GFI, I’m an employee and a donor. If you want to work in a supportive, diverse, and safe work environment with an incredible team and an exciting opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the world, I highly recommend applying for a job.

Cons

Whenever I have concerns or suggestions to improve the organization, I share them with my colleagues and management, and we resolve them as best we can. Lines of communication are always open. I don’t have any concerns, but we work daily to improve the organization. I fully trust the organization’s leadership.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating such a positive work environment. I’m grateful for my job and the opportunity to advance our mission.

The Good Food Institute2019-06-26

"Special place, but not quite as described."

I worked at The Good Food Institute full-time

Pros

Progressive culture, inspirational and critical mission, really smart, talented people who are genuinely kind. Zero inter-office politics, totally supportive team culture. Remote organization, very flexible work schedules and a great mix of substantive work and a sense of fun.

Cons

The rhetoric of autonomy is not the lived reality, the Executive Director is involved in areas where others should have decision-making authority because they have the experience and expertise. Mission commitment is measured by support for vegan/animal welfare movement, this determines ED's view of whether you are a true team player. Still a startup mentality where staff commitment is taken advantage of and is... leading to burnout. Raising issues is welcome, but response is often long written arguments about why you are wrong. Ultimately job satisfaction depends on alignment with ED's view of things because that controls everything.

Advice to Management

Broaden the tent to be fully inclusive of mission aligned experts outside of the vegan/animal welfare world. Respect the expertise and judgment of the people you hire. Show that you truly value GFI's "rock star" experts by letting the go and trusting them to do what they were hired to do, instead of overruling them based upon personal views/beliefs.

The Good Food Institute2019-04-03

The Good Food Institute Response

April 8, 2019Director of Operations

As you can imagine, I’m delighted by the first half of your review and disappointed by the second half. On the first half: Thanks. I’m glad that was your experience! Reannon and her team work very hard to create that culture, and it’s something I’ve been committed to since the ...

"I could not be happier"

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is extremely smart, passionate, hardworking, humble, care about each other, and are just fun to be with. Everyone is so supportive and helpful. I really feel like I am a valued member of the team.

Cons

There is too much work to do! I would do this work even if I wasn't getting paid for it which means I usually do work nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

The Good Food Institute2018-04-12

"Had me at “Healthy, humane and sustainable food supply" and then there was more..."

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time

Pros

Highly motivated (yet humble) colleagues who are a pleasure to work with. Best intra-department collaboration I’ve experienced – and we communicate via video conference. What makes GFI truly unique, coming from one who has spent years in the corporate sector, is the energy and fresh thinking around everything we do. It’s easy to feel I've accomplished amazing things every week as part of this team.

Cons

If you’re used to being “behind the scenes” you will be expected come out into the light. Juggle that and the fast-moving nature of the organization and you may feel overwhelmed from time to time. This could easily be transferred to the Pro category (under personal growth) given everyone here is so considerate and supportive!

The Good Food Institute2018-03-16

"The Best Team!"

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time

Pros

Almost to a person, the GFI Team is simply amazing. Supportive, smart, funny, dedicated. Amazing.

Cons

Workload is in keeping with a small group changing the world. If you aren't dedicated to the mission, you won't fit in.

The Good Food Institute2018-03-06

"Culture, Mission, and People = Great"

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time

Pros

GFI has a clear and compelling mission that makes it easy to wake up on a Monday morning and get to work. The staff is among the most dedicated, hard-working, and competent that I have experienced, or even heard of. The culture is one of mutual support and collaboration. It's more like a family than a work group. Getting to work from home in pajamas all day is a net benefit, although it has its downsides as well.... The leadership is both caring and challenging, which drives us to be high achievers.

Cons

Working in a virtual environment, without daily face-to-face interaction with other staff can feel lonely and isolated at times. It can be difficult to draw clear lines between work life and home life. The high-passion, mission-driven culture can lead us all to be "on" 24/7/365. Working hard on an over-full plate of projects is the norm.

Advice to Management

Set the standard for work hours expectations, showing by example that it's okay not to work on weekends. Increase staff to better manage workloads. But when increasing staff, make sure they fit the existing culture and standards of performance.

The Good Food Institute2018-03-07

"Do you dread Monday mornings? I don't!"

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think I never knew what I wanted to do when I grew up because I didn't know working for an organization like GFI was an option! I really do look forward to my work week to see what new ideas will be shared, what new people I will get to meet with, what new topics I will get to learn about, and what new challenges I will have to work together with the rest of the team to address. My coworkers are great teammates,... who also happen to be a lot of fun to be around, and the work I do is fulfilling, both personally and professionally.

Cons

GFI began just over two years ago. We often say we're building the plane as we're flying it. There is some stress and frustration associated with developing structures, SOPs, and policies as we're trying to implement them, but the careful thought and feedback from the entire team that goes into developing these procedures means that the plane being built is being built to last.

Advice to Management

Even as we grow to a 50+ organization, continue listening to each and every team member and encouraging everyone to share their thoughts and ideas.

The Good Food Institute2018-03-06

"Excellent Working Atmosphere, Great Co-Workers, Stellar Strategic Thinking"

I have been working at The Good Food Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone on staff is extremely intelligent--almost intimidatingly so. Everyone is also extremely nice. The combination is pretty remarkable. The organizational vision is great; if you're thinking of applying, ask to see the strategic plan. Also, check out the Animal Charity Evaluators review of GFI, good stuff.

Cons

Working remotely is not for everyone; there is an insane amount of work to do, and it's often hard to figure out what's next. With the addition of more staff, this is getting better, but it's still... a lot.

The Good Food Institute2017-11-25