The Gotham Group Reviews | Glassdoor

"Great First Internship"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at The Gotham Group as an intern

Pros

- Very well structured internship program
    - Assistants are wonderfully open to helping you out
    - Great guest speakers
    - Opportunity to pitch a project o managers
    - Got to go to Comic-Con!

Cons

- Sometimes need to seek out work to do

2. "Intern"

Pros

Learned a little bit of information

Cons

Bosses had no respect for each other, let alone any of their interns. No one was motivated to do their work, little help as an intern from superiors.

3. "Terrible work environment"

Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Gotham Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients are the only good feature at the company that really has no influence on your job as an assistant.

Cons

They have the worst management. They give no feedback. And fire for no reason. All the assistants are mean to each other and backbiting. No one is helpful. Management acts as if they are on their high horse and give no feedback to assistants. They act like the assistants don't even exist.

Advice to Management

Grow up and give helpful feedback to employees to make a healthy and pleasant work environment.

4. "Great Opportunity"

Former Intern - Development Intern
    Former Intern - Development Intern

I worked at The Gotham Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the nicest people you will ever meet work here. All of the managers and assistants are extremely open to helping out the interns and making sure we reap the benefits of the opportunities given to us. As interns we were assigned a manager to mentor us during our time which was invaluable experience. We even had the opportunity to pitch to some of the execs at the company. We were also allowed to attend comic con as part of the internship which was astounding to me! I don't know of any other company in the entertainment industry that cares for their interns as much as Gotham does.

Cons

There is a lot of coverage but that is expected when working at a management/production company, especially one that deals with literary ip as heavily as this one.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering the interns as you did with myself and countless others.

5. "learning experience"

Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Gotham Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some great people, opportunities to learn, exposure to many aspects of entertainment, mentorship if with the right supervisor, opps to see how company is run

Cons

some politics, not a lot of opps for growth at middle levels, assistant pay is absolutely terrible despite the long hours

Advice to Management

pay assistants more

6. "Regrets.. I wish my time back."

Pros

The office is located in Hollywood far from the busy area. They have in the same building a couple of other companies and sometimes you can see someone famous coming to buy a house. Every moth they had a meeting/ class for the interns and assistants.

Cons

ZERO feedback on my work specially on the coverages that I worked so hard. The inveroment is not friendly, everybody hates each other but they try to hide it. Ellen never spoke with any of us and that made us very nervous to have any conversation with the other managers. The place has potencial but is small for so much ego.

Advice to Management

Jewish people don't like german cars.

7. "Good Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The Gotham Group as an intern

Pros

The people (aside from a few assistants) are nice, the managers (especially Eddie Gamarra) made an effort to bring people within the industry to speak to the interns and give them advice, and they really help you figure out what part of the industry you want to get a job in.

Cons

Some assistants could be nicer, not much to do besides front desk, read scripts, and write coverage, and some managers could be friendlier to interns

8. "Really loved the culture. Management is misguided."

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at The Gotham Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and extremely friendly people! functioned like a group of friends as opposed to a company.

Cons

Upper management unable to agree on the direction of the company which ultimately lead to massive layoffs.

9. "Good place to start"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at The Gotham Group as an intern

Pros

Friendly people, good environment. People were very willing to answer questions.

Cons

Pretty small and most of the managers were less friendly than the assistants

"DONT WORK FOR THEM"

Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Gotham Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has a lot of vacation days.

Cons

Bad pay, people are over worked and Ellen Goldsmith Vein has a few screws lose. Her Husband Jon Vain thinks he is involved in the company but has no percentage of ownership or even has any company affiliation. They have terminated employees unjustly and don’t care about what the employees have to say. They take lavished vacations and are worried about keeping money in their pockets instead of paying employees. Ellen has made employees cry and quit just so they don’t have a chance on getting unemployment. They don’t have an HR department and lack technology to make the company successful. SHAME on Ellen and Jon Vain. Don’t do business with them and don’t work for them is all I have to say. Average expectancy of job time is less than one year. Over 75% turnover.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together.... and stop taking advantage of the few employees that work for you.