The Guidance Center Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Employee of 7 years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southgate, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southgate, MI

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, dedication to mission of serving families, great leadership

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

"Home Based Therapy"

Current Employee - Home Based Therapist in Lincoln Park, MI
    Current Employee - Home Based Therapist in Lincoln Park, MI

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment! Excellent supervision opportunities for limited license clinicians. Paid trainings and lots of support from coworkers. Excellent benefit package and flexible work schedule, salary is average to above average for new clinicians entering the field. Advancement opportunities are available.

Cons

Paperwork can be overwhelming at times.

3. "Caring Group!"

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time

Pros

Caring staff, they promote continuing education, they work as a team.

Cons

The software used for documentation is a challenge to navigate.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

4. "Don't waste your time, unless you are in need of good insurance, but don’t mind low pay and a clueless admin team."

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid insurance, decent amount of sick/personal/vacation time, short drive to work (for me)

Cons

EXTREMELY HIGH turnover rate! Which leads to a work place that is ever changing. Programs get shuffled around constantly, rules and policies change on a dime and/or are bent or broken on a regular basis.

Don't let HR fool you with their comments on here about new graduates as the reason for the high turnover rate. The turnover is high because the pay is low and management and upper management have no clue what is going on. There is a reason why they are losing money left and right. Communication is seriously lacking. Since the current CEO has been in place, the center has done nothing but lose money.

Also, don’t let them tell you that they research current salaries and that the pay is on par to the norm. It is not. For instance a quick Google search will tell you that my salary is literally DOUBLED across the nation from what I am paid. There is one person in HR that makes the call on salary and she is clueless.

When you sign on they make you sign some agreement for your laptop and cell phone, basically stating that you will have to pay for it if it gets damaged, even in a clients home, which you may have no control over. I don't even know if that is legal!! It's really fishy if you ask me. I have never worked at a place that has done this before.

The folks that do stick around, like myself, do so out of convenience. As I mentioned it’s close to home, they are very flexible and generous with time off. That is the one that is good about this place. Right now, that is enough to keep me there, but I would never recommend someone to look here for a job.

5. "employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Southgate, MI
    Former Employee - Employee in Southgate, MI

I worked at The Guidance Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

having a 7.5 hours work day

Cons

horrible upper management, primarily COO and HR, discriminatory towards minorities

Advice to Management

needs cultural competence training

6. "Not worth it"

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, well-known in the community and helpful to the community. Offer a lot of services to those with Medicaid who can't always get the help elsewhere.

Cons

Poor communication among staff and administration. Increase work but not time allotted to complete it. Lack of understanding of what job entails. Tend to hire from outside the company for mentoring and managing positions, so you spend a lot time training your boss. High turnover in many of the positions.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your direct-service personnel. They have ideas about where to spend extra funds and how to improve effectiveness.

7. "What I see , hear and know"

Pros

Friendly, organized, great resources for families, innovative, in tune with the needs of the community,

Cons

Headstart employees pay a lot out of pocket for their health insurance, they only get 3 sick days a year. Not enough small tokens of appreciation given through the year for staff to feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Cut down insurance (head start staff), more sick/ personal time, (head start staff) give little just because gifts to staff quarterly where all employees can come and or receive to build mental stability and help decrease staff turn over,

8. "Youth Targeted Case Manager"

Former Employee - Youth Targeted Case Manager in Leavenworth, KS
    Former Employee - Youth Targeted Case Manager in Leavenworth, KS

I worked at The Guidance Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping others to overcome behaviors that can hinder their way of living life.

Cons

This position requires the ability to multitask and the ability to overcome many obstacles that may interrupt your daily plan. However you still must complete what is planned to not fall short for your clients.

Advice to Management

More hands on training by the supervisor for a complete understanding of what is expected. Not allowing for the change of a schedule one day and another day not allowing it. Consistency in the way that accommodates all employees not just certain ones. Recognizing when personalities may not co exist so that the employee are not singled out for every action to be picked apart when their job is being completed but done in a different way then the way that the other supervisor would see it done. This was not considered in my opinion.

9. "Family Service Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I have been working at The Guidance Center (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and you have the ability to meet different people

Cons

Upper management does not know how to communicate

Advice to Management

Always keep your employees informed

10. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Mental Health Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mental Health Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive environment with agency financial stability. Opportunities for internal promotions and an agency committed to staff development and growth. Excellent benefits and competitive salary.

Cons

Staff turnover is often high. Productivity expectations are high and unrealistic. Secondary traumatic stress is inevitable. Also a Union work environment.

The Guidance Center Response

Jun 15, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for this feedback. As the review indicates, TGC is a learning organization. As such, we often hire new graduates and help them to obtain their full licensure free of charge while working... More