The Guidance Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kari D. Walker

1. "Not terrible, but not great."

Former Employee - EMT in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - EMT in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, decent benefits. The schedule was accommodating for school, which was helpful while I pursued a degree.

Cons

Upper management does not care about their employees. About every 8 to 10 months, there is a mass migration of employees that get fed up and quit all at once, leaving everyone to scramble to hire new people and cover shifts with overtime. After three years of work, I was laid off when the company lost a significant chunk of money due to poorly managed billing practices. The company has a terrible reputation in the behavioral health industry, and that reputation will follow you around. It's quite disheartening to see the way that TGC has fostered a reputation for being obstructionist and rude towards people in desperate need of help.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and provide adequate training for the job they're doing. Sending employees with a high school education into a room with SMI clients to teach a group about substance abuse, or coping skills, or anything else is not helpful. If you want the services you offer to be the best, your employees need to be qualified to offer those services.

2. "Don't waste your time, unless you are in need of good insurance, but don’t mind low pay and a clueless admin team."

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid insurance, decent amount of sick/personal/vacation time, short drive to work (for me)

Cons

EXTREMELY HIGH turnover rate! Which leads to a work place that is ever changing. Programs get shuffled around constantly, rules and policies change on a dime and/or are bent or broken on a regular basis.

Don't let HR fool you with their comments on here about new graduates as the reason for the high turnover rate. The turnover is high because the pay is low and management and upper management have no clue what is going on. There is a reason why they are losing money left and right. Communication is seriously lacking. Since the current CEO has been in place, the center has done nothing but lose money.

Also, don’t let them tell you that they research current salaries and that the pay is on par to the norm. It is not. For instance a quick Google search will tell you that my salary is literally DOUBLED across the nation from what I am paid. There is one person in HR that makes the call on salary and she is clueless.

When you sign on they make you sign some agreement for your laptop and cell phone, basically stating that you will have to pay for it if it gets damaged, even in a clients home, which you may have no control over. I don't even know if that is legal!! It's really fishy if you ask me. I have never worked at a place that has done this before.

The folks that do stick around, like myself, do so out of convenience. As I mentioned it’s close to home, they are very flexible and generous with time off. That is the one that is good about this place. Right now, that is enough to keep me there, but I would never recommend someone to look here for a job.

3. "employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Southgate, MI
    Former Employee - Employee in Southgate, MI

I worked at The Guidance Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

having a 7.5 hours work day

Cons

horrible upper management, primarily COO and HR, discriminatory towards minorities

Advice to Management

needs cultural competence training

5. "Not worth it"

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, well-known in the community and helpful to the community. Offer a lot of services to those with Medicaid who can't always get the help elsewhere.

Cons

Poor communication among staff and administration. Increase work but not time allotted to complete it. Lack of understanding of what job entails. Tend to hire from outside the company for mentoring and managing positions, so you spend a lot time training your boss. High turnover in many of the positions.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your direct-service personnel. They have ideas about where to spend extra funds and how to improve effectiveness.

6. "What I see , hear and know"

Pros

Friendly, organized, great resources for families, innovative, in tune with the needs of the community,

Cons

Headstart employees pay a lot out of pocket for their health insurance, they only get 3 sick days a year. Not enough small tokens of appreciation given through the year for staff to feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Cut down insurance (head start staff), more sick/ personal time, (head start staff) give little just because gifts to staff quarterly where all employees can come and or receive to build mental stability and help decrease staff turn over,

7. "Youth Targeted Case Manager"

Former Employee - Youth Targeted Case Manager in Leavenworth, KS
    Former Employee - Youth Targeted Case Manager in Leavenworth, KS

I worked at The Guidance Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping others to overcome behaviors that can hinder their way of living life.

Cons

This position requires the ability to multitask and the ability to overcome many obstacles that may interrupt your daily plan. However you still must complete what is planned to not fall short for your clients.

Advice to Management

More hands on training by the supervisor for a complete understanding of what is expected. Not allowing for the change of a schedule one day and another day not allowing it. Consistency in the way that accommodates all employees not just certain ones. Recognizing when personalities may not co exist so that the employee are not singled out for every action to be picked apart when their job is being completed but done in a different way then the way that the other supervisor would see it done. This was not considered in my opinion.

8. "Family Service Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, MI

I have been working at The Guidance Center (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and you have the ability to meet different people

Cons

Upper management does not know how to communicate

Advice to Management

Always keep your employees informed

9. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Mental Health Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mental Health Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive environment with agency financial stability. Opportunities for internal promotions and an agency committed to staff development and growth. Excellent benefits and competitive salary.

Cons

Staff turnover is often high. Productivity expectations are high and unrealistic. Secondary traumatic stress is inevitable. Also a Union work environment.

Jun 15, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for this feedback. As the review indicates, TGC is a learning organization. As such, we often hire new graduates and help them to obtain their full licensure free of charge while working ... More

10. "Guidance review"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in River Rouge, MI
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in River Rouge, MI

Pros

Love working with children , low income family's, many resources for family's , vacation over the summer, personal time off all holidays off

Cons

School does not celebrate holidays, cannot bring in outside food,

Jun 15, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for this feedback. We understand the concern about celebrating the holidays and the desire to celebrate with the children we serve. However, this happens to fall under the funders ... More

11. "Typical CMH"

I have been working at The Guidance Center full-time

Pros

Some talented Clinicians, many services

Cons

Low support and salary cause a lot of turnover--losing valued staff

Jun 15, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for the feedback. You may not be aware that we regularly compare our salaries to salary surveys from within our marketplace. We offer competitive pay, exceptional benefits, generous time ... More