The Guthrie Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
The Guthrie Clinic President and CEO, Guthrie Joseph Scopelliti
Joseph Scopelliti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits and close to home (in 3 reviews)

• Pay, A great learning experience, met some great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking isn't ideal for Sayre campus, but that's within reason as its relatively small compared to its output (in 3 reviews)

• The workload and expectations in my department are at a very high level, and can be overwhelming at times, but I wouldn (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Worth The Drive!"

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked previously at another healthcare system closer to home so I was hesitant to commit to a 40 minute commute but Guthrie has been a wonderful place to work. I feel support from co-workers, colleagues and senior leadership. Our department feels like a second family. The expectations are high and the work is challenging (after all, this is healthcare!) but I am part of a great team that works hard, is highly accountable but likes to have fun in the process. People seem to advance or move on to new opportunities at Guthrie, which demonstrates that leadership recognizes talent. We are one of the few health systems in the region not affiliated or owned by a larger entity, which is refreshing. Health benefits are excellent. I love it here!

Cons

Certain business practices can be a bit behind the times and it would be nice not to have to use PTO for holidays. Rural location can make it hard to attract talent.

2. "Honored To Work At The Guthrie Clinic"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Sayre, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Sayre, PA

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is truly and honor to come into an organization that is staffed with dedicated people from the immediate community and beyond, all working together to make true community healthcare a reality.

Cons

The incessant need to chase revenue many times translates into decisions being based on short sighted gains instead of long lasting efficiency and sustainable growth.

Advice to Management

Bring your staffing levels to the appropriate levels. Invest in people and growth will follow. Don't run so lean that you cannot support the growth you do desperately want.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sayre, PA

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent employer, family oriented, many opportunities for growth, career choices and changes

Cons

None at the current time

4. "Application Analyst"

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Sayre, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Sayre, PA

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and close to home.

Cons

Small town everyone knows everyone

5. "A great place to work in our region ... The Guthrie Clinic"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Sayre, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Sayre, PA

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety of opportunities available. Employees are able to create their own career path by taking advantage of tuition reimbursement and training and development programs. Many different career avenues to select from - both clinical and non-clinical. Employees at Guthrie really care about the patient and the patient (and family member's) experience. It's a great place to work in our region and THE place to receive care.

Cons

Like most places, the team at Guthrie can and should continue to improve the way they communicate across and throughout the organization. Ensure that all key messages are heard and understood.

Advice to Management

Involve staff at all levels of the organization when it comes to implementing key initiatives.

6. "Great work environment"

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time

Pros

Great support from senior leadership. Opportunities for growth

Cons

There needs to be more educational opportunities for clinic nurses

7. "Great place to work if you prefer a very rural setting"

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time

Pros

The pay is quite well for the area as well as numerous opportunities for progression through the company. Everyone in my department is very talented, ambitious, and amazing to work with. The company has visions of what they would like to do to continue to provide quality care and remain competitive which provides a strong outlook for the future of the company. Sayre is within an hour of four larger towns (Ithaca, Binghamton, Corning, Elmira) which provides more entertainment and recreational activities. The health coverage is also extremely generous compared to other systems.

Cons

Having to use PTO for standard holidays is something that could be improved. Additionally I really wish Guthrie would invest in building out the town and making it a more inviting place for people to live as opposed to trying to use Ithaca & Corning as a place for employees to live which then requires them to drive 45 mins+ and shuttle in to work due to lack of parking.

Advice to Management

Continuing to attract new talent will continue to be an issue until the area becomes a more desirable place to live. Any collaboration with the local boroughs to improve this is strongly encouraged.

8. "Guthrie has the right tools to make a difference"

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership at Guthrie understands that to succeed, teams and leaders need a vision and the tools to make a difference. My manager is very supportive and my team is very talented. We work well together and understand our goals. We are focused on doing the right things for patients and we use data to validate the decisions of how and what needs to be done.

Cons

The number of employees over many sites/wide geography can make it challenging to get everyone on the same page. Some business goals may seem to compete because healthcare industry is complex with multiple payor models. Guthrie is working hard to make sure they stay on the forefront of business systems and approaches to health. This isn’t always embraced by employees who have being doing something the same way for years.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing your vision – and the reasons for it-- with opinion leaders—not just managers. More people on the front lines need to embrace the vision in order to get a ground swell.

9. "Physician assistant"

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time

Pros

Very friendly nice environment place to work

Cons

I really don't have any bad comments

Advice to Management

Need to be more employee based then business

"A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at The Guthrie Clinic full-time

Pros

Great team, great internal communications, I feel engaged and well informed, room to grow.

Cons

Parking is not ideal at the Sayre locations.

Advice to Management

N/A