The HOTH Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

The HOTH Reviews

Updated March 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Account Manager"

I have been working at The HOTH full-time

Pros

This company knows how to make their employees want to work for them. The owners and managers encourage all employees to communicate their wants and needs and not only listen but constantly follow through. I moved across the country and am so thankful I landed at The Hoth. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and I had this group of strangers going out of their way to help me get settled my first few weeks. Never felt like strangers though, more of a family. Management never feels unapproachable and push each employee to their full potential. I truly believe the culture within The Hoth is directly related to the success of the company. As well as their bad @$$ SEO.

Cons

Zero cons. Unless you don't like office dogs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thang. I can't emphasize enough how great the leadership is within this company.

2. "Nice People"

I worked at The HOTH part-time

Pros

Great people, everyone worked really hard and were always supportive of each other!

Cons

Slow with payments for employees

The HOTH Response

Mar 5, 2018 – Operations Manager

Hi,

Thank you for your review. It's always important to gain as much information from our team - both current and former - to make sure we can provide the best experience for our team. I very... More

3. "Content Writer"

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Great Company Culture
    Opportunity for Growth in Other Positions
    Great Entry Level Writer Position

Cons

O.K. Pay
    Limited Topics
    Strict Format
    No Raises for Writers
    Writing Isn't the Big Focus; SEO is

4. "A position at this company is worth fighting for"

I have been working at The HOTH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent 3 years dreading my old job. I persistently pursued a job at the Hoth because I liked their transparency and culture. This job has honestly changed my life. I am happier every second of every day because I get to work with such intelligent, fun people. The office is modern and the views are spectacular. Management honestly cares about each employee and their lives. This company is a success rocketship and it's not slowing down anytime soon.
    Cute dogs in office
    Snacks
    But, the people are what makes this job amazing. I have not thought of pay since the day I started because I love working here.

Cons

Elevators suck. Things move fast here can seem easy to fall out of the loop if you are not constantly aware.

5. "This is literally the best side gig ever"

Current Employee - Content Writer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at The HOTH part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work when you want. From home, from the bar, from the plane.

Pay is good if you're a fast writer. And note: pay is good if this is a SIDE GIG. It blows my mind that people try this as their full time job. That would be so stressful (+ no benefits.) I normally take on the minimum # of required articles each week and I enjoy the extra cash for travel, gifts, etc. This job does not (and cannot) pay my real bills.

Start-up firm with fun culture. First conference is in 2018.

Cons

Queue sometimes runs low or dry, meaning don't rely on this for regular income.

Quality Control (QC) can be sticklers sometimes (e.g. please reduce paragraph to 3 sentences...but if they'd taken the 10 seconds to do it, would already be off to client and earning revenue.)

6. "The Best SEO Company I've Worked for"

Current Employee - Web Content Writer in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Web Content Writer in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at The HOTH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work when you want and how much you want, pay is twice weekly and there's a Facebook group where you can get all the support you need (and mingle with your co-writers). Plus, you get first dibs on new opportunities, so moving up in the company is definitely possible.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Great communication and feedback all the time.

7. "Easy, fun freelance work!"

Current Employee - Writer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Writer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

- Being able to take on as much or as little as my schedule will allow is the best!
    - Even though the writers work remotely they still receive an awesome amount of support.
    - There's a great sense of community and ease of communication among everyone.
    - I've learned a lot in my time writing for The HOTH and have found my writing skills have sharpened up over time as well!
    - This job has allowed me to have more freedom than I could have imagined having elsewhere.
    - Everyone has a very work hard, play hard attitude that makes working for this company a lot of fun.

Cons

- Sometimes the assignments can feel a little tedious due to bland topics. This isn't so much a HOTH problem, but just something that comes with this type of work.

Advice to Management

Consider higher compensation for particularly difficult to write topics or particularly hard to please clients.

8. "Professional, open, and honest"

Current Employee - Writer
    Current Employee - Writer

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

-Open door policy makes it incredibly easy and comfortable to talk to superiors
    -Facebook group provides an awesome community and home base for writers to ask and answer questions and casually contact QC and management
    -Work is completely remote. There's no cap on how much you can write. You could make this your full-time gig if you are disciplined and willing.
    -Just introduced a feature where you can choose your articles. Write as little or as much as you have time for.
    -Easy to use writer interface.
    -Expectations are very clear. Training was really cohesive. This makes time spent editing very minimal.
    -QC team is incredibly friendly and professional.
    -I really love working for The HOTH!

Cons

-I do wish there was a way to communicate with QC besides the Facebook group, maybe within the website's interface. Article comments work great for editing, but it'd be nice to have quick contact info available for Topics team and QC leadership.
    -That's pretty much all I can think of, and it's largely taken care of through the Facebook group.
    -It's a really great part time gig to have. The HOTH's management makes communication clear and easy. They're really understanding. The content team is easy to relate to and there's a great remote community among them. It's unique and great to be a part of.

9. "My Favorite Freelance Source!"

Current Employee - Writer in Yuba City, CA
    Current Employee - Writer in Yuba City, CA

I have been working at The HOTH part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVE working with the Hoth because it is so easy to log on and write when it's convenient for me. They have always been reliable in payment and they know how to reward great work. Their team is fun to deal with and all of them are very personable, even from a distance. I have recommended this company to numerous writers who are looking for opportunities from home and I have enjoyed several years with them myself. This is one place where you will feel valued and the work is challenging, which for me makes it interesting all the time. I have never been displeased with the team, the assignments or the convenience of working with The Hoth and look forward to more years with them from here.

Cons

There are not always articles available to write when you log in. It depends on the cycle of what they have available to write and when you can jump in. This is the only downside I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people who know how to value the team members and show their appreciation. It makes such a creative, inspirational environment where people love to work and be. Continue using these practices, as I'm sure you will, and I see a long, successful future for the company.

10. "A freelancer writer’s dream job!"

Current Employee - Writer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Writer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at The HOTH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many reasons why I like The Hoth. The articles are easy to write, the topics are generally interesting, everyone on staff is amazing, writers choose the amount of assignments they pick, and pay is consistent. You can choose as many or as little assignments as you like, but you have to at least write five articles in a week period. You can also write as much as you want, they have plenty of assignments to where you can make The Hoth your full-time job.

Cons

Sometimes you get an assignment that’s difficult to write. It’s usually either the topic, the word count, and lack of resources available. But that has more to do with the clients than The Hoth itself. Just be prepared to take on challenging assignments. When you do, editors will really appreciate it.

The other con is the system itself. There are bugs in the system which makes writing difficult at times. Always super minor, but write your articles in Word or another document program and then paste into their system so you don’t lose your work.

Otherwise, I have no complaints with The Hoth. But I’ve read some I wanna discuss and how you can overcome them.

I heard some people complain about not choosing assignments, but I understand why The Hoth does this. Writers will pick the easiest assignments and the harder ones won’t be written, so we have to be equal to all clients.

Also, some people complain about the pay. Honestly The Hoth is WAY better paying than a lot of companies. The key to making a full-time wage from The Hoth is writing fast while writing with quality. Make your first draft your final draft. That way, you don’t have to spend as much time revising your work.
    I usually make $60-$100 a Day in a five-to-seven day period (I’m a workaholic) and I don’t even write for a full eight hours. But I plan on disciplining myself to write even more.

Advice to Management

I would mention the system bugs, but QC and editors already know. This isn’t advice, but a suggestion. Have senior writers or a higher writer hierarchy so your seasoned writers can be assigned the more difficult assignments or the rejected/declined assignments. You have so many talented writers and the full-time/experienced writers deserve more recognition.