The HOTH Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "My Favorite Freelance Source!"

Current Employee - Writer in Yuba City, CA
    Current Employee - Writer in Yuba City, CA

I have been working at The HOTH part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVE working with the Hoth because it is so easy to log on and write when it's convenient for me. They have always been reliable in payment and they know how to reward great work. Their team is fun to deal with and all of them are very personable, even from a distance. I have recommended this company to numerous writers who are looking for opportunities from home and I have enjoyed several years with them myself. This is one place where you will feel valued and the work is challenging, which for me makes it interesting all the time. I have never been displeased with the team, the assignments or the convenience of working with The Hoth and look forward to more years with them from here.

Cons

There are not always articles available to write when you log in. It depends on the cycle of what they have available to write and when you can jump in. This is the only downside I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people who know how to value the team members and show their appreciation. It makes such a creative, inspirational environment where people love to work and be. Continue using these practices, as I'm sure you will, and I see a long, successful future for the company.

2. "A freelancer writer’s dream job!"

Current Employee - Writer in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Writer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at The HOTH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many reasons why I like The Hoth. The articles are easy to write, the topics are generally interesting, everyone on staff is amazing, writers choose the amount of assignments they pick, and pay is consistent. You can choose as many or as little assignments as you like, but you have to at least write five articles in a week period. You can also write as much as you want, they have plenty of assignments to where you can make The Hoth your full-time job.

Cons

Sometimes you get an assignment that’s difficult to write. It’s usually either the topic, the word count, and lack of resources available. But that has more to do with the clients than The Hoth itself. Just be prepared to take on challenging assignments. When you do, editors will really appreciate it.

The other con is the system itself. There are bugs in the system which makes writing difficult at times. Always super minor, but write your articles in Word or another document program and then paste into their system so you don’t lose your work.

Otherwise, I have no complaints with The Hoth. But I’ve read some I wanna discuss and how you can overcome them.

I heard some people complain about not choosing assignments, but I understand why The Hoth does this. Writers will pick the easiest assignments and the harder ones won’t be written, so we have to be equal to all clients.

Also, some people complain about the pay. Honestly The Hoth is WAY better paying than a lot of companies. The key to making a full-time wage from The Hoth is writing fast while writing with quality. Make your first draft your final draft. That way, you don’t have to spend as much time revising your work.
    I usually make $60-$100 a Day in a five-to-seven day period (I’m a workaholic) and I don’t even write for a full eight hours. But I plan on disciplining myself to write even more.

Advice to Management

I would mention the system bugs, but QC and editors already know. This isn’t advice, but a suggestion. Have senior writers or a higher writer hierarchy so your seasoned writers can be assigned the more difficult assignments or the rejected/declined assignments. You have so many talented writers and the full-time/experienced writers deserve more recognition.

"I love the HOTH!"

Current Employee - Topic Creator
    Current Employee - Topic Creator

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

I really can't say enough good things about working for the HOTH. They have a great company culture that emphasizes the "work hard-play hard" mentality that keeps things fun. I'm able to work remotely, which is incredible, and they have a clear and open line of communication with the entire team. There's a lot of transparency within the company and management is great at taking employee suggestions into consideration and implementing ideas that make the whole process better for everyone.

Cons

None. Not a single one.

4. "Ehhh"

Former Employee - Content Writer
    Former Employee - Content Writer

I worked at The HOTH part-time

Pros

It feels good to write for money, however low the rates.

Cons

It feels bad to produce cheap content for anonymous and uncommunicative editors. The value of writing is so diminished by QC that getting any at all feedback feels embarrassing, not like a natural part of the process (which it should be).

The HOTH Response

Sep 9, 2017 – Operations Manager

Hi,

Thank you very much for this feedback. It's always important that we make updates as we continue to grow. To make these updates, we need feedback like yours.

I'd be grateful if you could... More

5. "My Experience with The Hoth"

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

I have only been here a short time but everyone has been very welcoming and helpful during the learning process. Everyone also has an upbeat attitude!

Cons

I haven't experienced any issues so far with the company.

6. "Quality Control/Copy Editor"

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

Flexibility, great people to work with, and a positive company culture.

Cons

Pressure to meet the quota, but that goes for any company that's deadline/quota oriented.

7. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at The HOTH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Hoth is passionate about treating their employees and customers well.
    Great atmosphere and culture.
    Flexible.
    Team work oriented.
    Very caring about making sure everyone is heard.

Cons

Hard to think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. "BEST place to work!"

I have been working at The HOTH part-time

Pros

This is hands-down the best job I've ever had! The company makes me feel so welcomed and appreciated. The work is hard but very rewarding and the location of the office in downtown St Pete makes me excited to come to work every day!

Cons

There are no cons to report! :)

"The pay is really bad"

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at The HOTH part-time

Pros

You get to work from home

Cons

They don't pay their writers a decent wage. The pay is really bad. There is no support for writers either. There is no ongoing training.

Advice to Management

If you want good writers who stick around, you need to pay way more. You can't pay what amounts to minimum wage. Ongoing training/support may help.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Phone in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Phone in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at The HOTH part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, Team oriented, Care about employee.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about the place.