The Hanover Insurance Group "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

The Hanover Insurance Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 23, 2019

3.6
The Hanover Insurance Group CEO John C. Roche
John C. Roche
Pros
Cons
  • "Not a great commute from Eastern Mass to Worcester(in 19 reviews)

• "Work life balance is completely gone for those employees who take their career seriously(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company, even better culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company truly cares about its employees. They are adapting to new technology and changes to the industry. The benefits are great and PTO is higher than the industry average. The organizational structure makes it very easy to get to know people that are higher than you (ex: VPs). Many opportunities for exposure. The work life balance is also great. For the most part, everyone works a standard day (9-5), with... the occasional overtime or weekend work. There is also flexibility around working from home.

Cons

The downside to being at a small company is lack of opportunity. There are many opportunities to move horizontally, but few to move upward. Since you work so closely with the presidents & VPs, it makes it difficult to grow.

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-09-05
  2. "Overall happy with my time spent there"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company truly cares about you as a person with great matching 401K, respect with work-life-balance, and good mentoring programs

Cons

Older cultured company. Many of the employees have been there for 20+ years and don't want to change their ways.

The Hanover Insurance Group2019-05-23

"Used to be a solid place to work, heading downhill fast"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Benefits at Hanover are still pretty solid. The employees who work there are a great bunch.

Cons

Everything just seems to be getting worse and worse. Of course, the insurance industry is generally very unforgiving with heavy workloads, but Hanover just keeps piling it on. Work life balance is completely gone for those employees who take their career seriously. What’s more, even as workloads increase, management seems intent on adding new metrics, policies, deadlines and requirements making the job that much... harder. Every few weeks, some new initiative is introduced that only saddles employees with more responsibility and work. The workload is driving experienced people to leave in droves. As the experienced people leave, Hanover refuses to replace them, claiming that they cannot find anyone. As workloads increase, requirements balloon, and employees are pushed to the limit, management is also becoming more strict and overbearing. Now, the slightest slip up or error results in condemnation, even when said error would not have been considered an “error” a few months before. It is becoming clear to employees that management is out of touch. Employee morale is the lowest it’s ever been.

The Hanover Insurance Group2019-01-10

"The grass is the same on both sides"

Current Employee - Claims in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Freedom and empowerment to do your job ok salary and bonus

Cons

There is not a clear guideline that is followed and upheld by all personnel Work life balance is no longer balanced

Advice to Management

Review annually pay and volume of work to ensure you do not work the good people to a point where they leave the company

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-11-16
  5. "Sales"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Forward thinking company with a big focus on technology and collaboration Great work life balance

Cons

can not think of any cons at this time

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-10-22

"A great place to work unless you have the wrong leader (boss)"

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group

Pros

Great work/life balance Community involvement

Cons

Lower salary My experience with a terrible leader

Advice to Management

There should be a yearly review of their leader by the employees

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-10-24
  7. "Middle Market Underwriter"

Current Employee - Middle Market Underwriter

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work life balance, Worcester home office provides opportunity for visibility.

Cons

Talent development program still in its infancy. Oh the job training primarily. Significant number of management hired from outside of company.

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-09-19

"Decent company with nice people"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time

Pros

The people are nice to be around and the environment is friendly.

Cons

Bad work life balance

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-06-10

"Employees"

I worked at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Intelligent people to work with. Team players. Enjoyed my years there. Great Work/Life balance

Cons

Pay grades could have been higher

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-04-16

"Solid employer with some glaring flaws"

I have been working at The Hanover Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Informal, relaxed work environment with a good work/life balance. I have been fortunate to have good leadership above me throughout my time at Hanover and felt, for the most part, they were invested in my development and what would help me out in the long run. The workplace itself is your typical cube farm with '90's styling, however, the company is trying to modernize and foster a more youthful environment and... benefits to stay competitive and attract new, younger talent. I give them a thumbs up for listening to employee feedback and trying to create a more flexible, relaxed workplace that appeals to more employees. They are also working on trying to develop ways to attract and maintain talent right out of college and I think there will be some more changes on the horizon in terms of flexible work schedules, benefits, etc.

Cons

Pay is really nothing special; bonuses and merit increases are minimal at best and if you are interested in substantial pay increases, you will constantly need to be on the lookout for better job opportunities within the company. On that note, keep in mind that Hanover is a publicly traded company, not a mutual, so they are far more beholden to their bottom line and shareholders than their employees. While the... company talks the talk re: developing and promoting from within, keep in mind that every hiring manager has their own plan in place and will only promote from within whenever it is easiest or they absolutely cannot avoid it. I believe there are a lot of really talented and hardworking young-in-career people at Hanover that are not receiving the opportunities for development that they truly deserve. Recently, I have gotten the vibe that there are an increasing amount of employees that feel devalued and receive less support than they did previously. When I first started here, there was more emphasis placed on treating and rewarding the employees and within the past year or two, that emphasis has shifted to "cost-saving" measures in order to be a more "efficient" organization. For all of the talk of how great the company is doing, it certainly doesn't feel that way to a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your biggest asset and the reason insureds/agents choose Hanover. There is always improvement to be done when it comes to rewarding them for making Hanover one of the best in the business.

The Hanover Insurance Group2018-03-06