The Hartford Courant Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Evolving technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work here are the company's best asset.

Cons

Mis-direction and competing goals from management cause lost revenue and opportunity.

Advice to Management

Listen to your clients and the folks who do the work. Invest in news gathering.

Jan 24, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for the feedback. Our management team recognizes that our employees are critical to our continuing success. We remain committed to maintaining the highest integrity of our award-winning... More

"This was the worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None... They paid me, but I was young and bright, so if they would have stopped, it would have forced me to find another job, which is what I should have done sooner.

Cons

They kept me part-time so they didn't have to pay benefits.
    I had 2 titles in my second position and was paid only $2 above minimum wage until I finally quit.
    Management and upper management was tyrannical and abusive.
    They didn't give a damn about lower level workers.
    I remember it was so cold in the department, a few of us would bring in small space heaters, upper management would talk abusively about us to our backs as we sat at our desk. Our feet were like ice. They couldn't fire us all so they put up with it, but they were nasty. Really, really nasty.

Advice to Management

Stop with the "It's our way or the highway" method of running the business. It's not the 1920's.

Aug 8, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Our management team believes all our employees at all levels in the organization are vitally important to our continuing success. To support that commitment, earlier this... More

3. "A Once Great Company Went Downhill Fast"

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company full-time

Pros

There were no pros at the time of my departure.

Cons

Management shows favoritism, there is no communication, they use scare tactics to "encourage" account executives to make goal, they micromanage you, they do not value their support staff, and they do not treat their employees well and that has caused them to lose many talented individuals.

Advice to Management

Management should work on how they encourage and train their employees, open the lines of communication, and give their hardworking employees a well-deserved raise. Stop treating employees as if they are disposable.

4. "A strong content brand"

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company full-time

Pros

Good benefits, insurance, 401k, etc. .

Cons

While The Courant puts out arguably some of the best content in the northeast, the advertising sales departments left a lot to be desired. Management had obvious favorites and there was never a level playing field, instead there were politics, cronyism and favoritism which led to low morale of some of the top sales producers.

Advice to Management

Clean out the management and get rid of the cronyism and favoritism which leads to low morale for employees that are not in the "inner circle" of friends with management.

Jan 5, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to create an environment where all employees can take pride in their work, engage in meaningful conversations with their colleagues, and, at the end of the day... More

5. "Initiatives always changing, but competitive work environment"

Pros

Good opportunity to leverage commission

Cons

Company constantly changing, rules change like the wind

6. "Good work, fading industry"

Former Employee - News in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - News in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a great group of people to work with. Smart and helpful. And gives you opportunity to pursue projects you feel passionate about.

Cons

Raises are non-existent. No job security. Extras and benefits get trimmed and reduced all the time.

Advice to Management

Value employees as the future to the business. They produce the things that draw the customers.

7. "Boring and monotonous job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Several of my fellow team members I worked directly with had great team spirit! I really miss many of them, and wish them the best!

Cons

Career opportunities for sure, because there were not very many. This job leaves you stuck in a monotonous rut of boredom and grueling work for very low wages.

Advice to Management

Be a lot more visible to your staff, so they can know that you really care. Currently, upper management within the company seems very disengaged and not very visible.

Oct 11, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

We understand that an engaged workforce is critical to the success of an organization. We are working to enhance our employee engagement programs and practices across the company and to deliver... More

"There are worse places, but there are definitely better."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford Courant Company (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part the people in the advertising department are all great to work with. Most of the time it is laid back. There is a feeling that we are a team. This is a good place to get a start, and looks great on your resume. Great benefits

Cons

Lack of communication in print and digital. A lack of leadership which leads to disorganization, frustration, and disgruntlement. The lack of leadership leads to the lack of communication which then leads to sales reps not being able to manage client expectations.
    There are office favorites, some of which are due to personal relationships.
    The Courant allows themselves to be bullied by clients based on revenue. The Customer is not always right.
    Operations and Sales Assistants teams are not regarded as valued members of the advertising department. The Sales Team rules all.
    It seems as if most of the Sales Team has free range to do whatever they want during the day while operations and support are closely monitored, scrutinized, and the scapegoat for internal issues.
    In fairness to the Sales Reps they are treated poorly by management when it comes to base, commission, goals, and overall expectations of performance. It is understandable that company time is not taken seriously. Daily call sheets have been implemented as a way to track their activities. This seems like nothing but a nuisance and is in now way a reliable way to track anything.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, but be stricter at the same time. Realize that operations and support is just as important if not more important than sales. Sales cannot exist without operations, and great operations can help keep client relationships running smoothly for the sales rep. Bad operations can lose revenue as mistakes will upset clients.
    MANAGE CLIENT EXPECTATIONS: Flawless execution takes time, and this needs to be reiterated to EVERYONE. Deadlines should be FIRM and nonnegotiable. Unkeepable promises being made to clients leads to mistakes which then leads to revenue loss.
    Give raises to your valued employees who earn it, and fire the employees that don't. FIX THE COMMISION STRUCTURE. Give the Sales Rep some incentive and motivation to want to work hard and be passionate about their jobs on a daily bases.

The ship is sinking, but with a little patch work, a little more of an iron fist, and real leadership it could keep sailing.

9. "The brand recognition can only get you so far..."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On the sales floor there is always going to be stress. It's sales.. if it were a breeze it wouldn't be sales. The team dynamic was strong when I was there. When management wouldn't step up to the plate or times were getting tough the team was there to try to boost moral. As long as you were doing your job there wasn't too much to complain about.

Cons

Scare tactics were there. Upper management would use them and it would trickle down like a domino effect. When you do not have a manager that is willing to listen to a team, take their concerns, and bring it to management.. what do you have? Walking into the office near the end of my stay was like walking through a graveyard.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and RESPECT them. Never make someone feel less than they are. Reward successes and use constructive criticism to help improve momentum.

10. "A company on a downward spiral with no future opportunities."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford Courant Company full-time

Pros

Being associated with an iconic local brand that unfortunately is becoming irrelevant in today's environment with the public and advertisers.

Cons

Continual major declines of revenue and audience.
    Print continues to decline each year and digital revenue is only a snip it of revenue in its place.
    Sales goals are completely unobtainable. If you are fortunate enough to sometimes make you print goal you will never make you separate digital goal, which 95% reps don't you get a major ding on your print commission. It's a constant stick.
    Constant fluctuating of sales focus and pressure creates an ongoing uneasy environment.
    If you are looking, my advice would be to save yourself the aggravation and stress and pass the "opportunity".

Advice to Management

Unfortunately my advice would be to get rid of most of the management due to their overall indifference and ineffectiveness to help sales. But the overall environment is so bad that probably would not help much to improve the situation since most good leaders would not come and work here to start.

Jun 7, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the feedback. Our employees remain focused on delivering award-winning journalism and marketing solutions that our customers and partners have to come to expect from us. The Hartford... More