The Hartford Disabled Reviews | Glassdoor

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Long Term Disability Claims Analyst"

Former Employee - Long Term Disability Claims Analyst in Gold River, CA
    Former Employee - Long Term Disability Claims Analyst in Gold River, CA

Pros

-Ethical company
    -Potential overtime if Non-Exempt
    -Team oriented
    -Flexible work hours
    -Inspiring corporate leadership
    -Promotes health and wellness
    -Great benefits
    -PTO is very generous

Cons

-Overwhelmingly fast paced at times
    -Salary did not reflect the difficulty of the work
    -Work-life imbalance (often found that work was taking over life. Would worry about work on the weekends.
    -Sometime would work weekends
    -Would mostly be at very high claim volume as there would not be enough analysts.

Advice to Management

Please increase the salary for analyst positions within the Group Disability. The amount of work we experienced on a daily basis was overwhelming and did not equate to the compensation that was being given to us.

"If someone would have told me........"

Former Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at The Hartford (More than a year)

Pros

I gained enough experience to leave and find employment that is less stressful.

Cons

So many negatives.... I do very little reviews but if you have a job offer somewhere else. TAKE THAT.!! If you have a decent job and you are considering this job. STAY where you are. I would not advise anyone to come work here unless you have no other options.
    There is NO work/life balance- none. This is not a job the promotes a sense of accomplishment, There is no end to the work... you could work and work and work and there will still be more work. 55+ hours per week and there would still be more work. Management is out of touch with what they think it takes to work a claim, so they add to the work with an increase to work and call it a solution. You are a number here. You fill a seat to do a job and they have no problems giving someone else your seat- so you either get it quickly or you will be told that you will be fired. But there is a lack of adequate training, your job entails reviewing medical records. even with no back ground in any medical field and this a MAJOR part of the job atleast 60%. So if you don't know then you have to get a another party (a nurse) to conduct a review. Its real circular and time consuming. When it seems it would just make sense to have a nurse review the medical in the beginning. But nothing that actually makes sense gets done. You are on the phone all day long so its like you do the job of working in as a customer service rep along with being an analyst. .. I could go on and on but ultimately - It takes an extremely special person to do this job. I have seen people cry at work all the time, from work stress and unrealistic goals. If someone would have told me when I got this job how unhappy I would be. I would have stayed where I was.... Because I left a job to come here thinking it would be a better opportunity and I was better off where I was at.

Advice to Management

Have an true understanding of what it takes to work a claim. try to alleviate the workload and stress you are putting on your analyst. Create a sense of trust by showing compassion, standing by your employees and listening to what they are saying. Make true improvements and changes. Invest in your employees, show some employee appreciation. Provide adequate training, review your staffing model. hire some people to do the work- hire some extra people if necessary- if you need 40 hire 50 they are going to quit anyway! but atleast it may feel like some relief for a moment

"Unrealistic expectations"

Current Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Cokato, MN
    Current Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Cokato, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really enjoy the people I work with and the job definitely keeps your mind working all day long. Constant problem solving and really great if you enjoy a challenge.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of their employees. Work loads are not distributed evenly among co-workers. Should have been upfront about the overtime expectations. I took this job so I would no longer have to work weekends, evenings or holidays and it seems that I work more of them than I did when I was scheduled for them just to get my work done. Never able to get ahead and always feeling behind due to the overload of work.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and try to be helpful with every resource available to your employees to train better and efficiently and provide your employees with as many skills as possible to SUCCEED.

"Biased"

Current Employee - Disability Adjudicate in Gold River, CA
    Current Employee - Disability Adjudicate in Gold River, CA

I have been working at The Hartford (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location, pay, building is new and clean

Cons

management cultivates "pets" who get the better shifts, etc, discipline is not meted equally, work load distributed by favorites, training by virtual trainers on speaker phone in different states is sub par, no clear direction on protocol of scripting

Advice to Management

1. You may ASK me a question, you may not AX me that same question.
    2. Graduate from high school emotionally before starting in the workforce

"Long term disability analyst III"

Former Employee - Senior Long Term Disability Claim Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Long Term Disability Claim Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Neat offices. Some benefits. Nothing else at all. Just wasting twenty word requirement. Part of clean air campaign. Some training in the beginning. Not sufficient though.

Cons

Sweatshop. For taking a day off or 2-3 days they don't adjust your workload. Still expecting you will be on three day turn around time. Also before you take vacation they expect you to work at least half of your vacation week ahead so other coworkers don't get overloaded with your stuff, which doesn't happen anyway. After you come back from time off you are expected to catch up all diaries because no one did them anyway. False feeling of freedom by offering work home when they know you cannot possibly manage the work load in 40 hrs week. Minimum 50 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Don't safe money on employees. Update in house software - embarrassing. Stop resourcing to India

"Lacking in work-life balance"

Former Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and team leaders were great to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

The department was very understaffed and the work load was very high. There was a lot of pressure to put in overtime and work faster just to get through all the work. There was a conflicting message from management to continue to produce high quality work while doing more work than is sometimes possible in one day. The technology and processing systems are pretty out of date.

Advice to Management

Review your staffing model.

"Talk a big game.."

Current Employee - Senior Long Term Disability Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Long Term Disability Analyst

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lofty goals from senior management

Cons

translate to worker bee level, means do more with less time, more demands and do it well

Advice to Management

Pay what is fair - for as much human intervention as is needed to correctly determine claim outcomes and benefits, pay us fairly.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Disability Claims Analyst
    Current Employee - Disability Claims Analyst

Pros

They are introducing a work from home ability shortly. Vesting is only 3 years. Obtain experience with Social Security, clinical staff, medical terminology, time management, contract intrepretation, and overtime. Management is concerned with employee morale. Bonuses can be signifance, however lately haven't been to much due to the economy.

Cons

Mandatory overtime including some weekends depending on case load and inventory levels, excessive case loads with unrealistic goals and parameters. Some employees feel overworked and the work/life balance is non existent.