The Hartford Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good (in 73 reviews)

• This is suppose to be a call center but it is not (in 44 reviews)

"Not great for young-intelligent-ambitious workers"

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

(1) Can succeed with minimal effort (2) Work Life Balance

Cons

A complete wasteland for intellectuals

2. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO is insane (96 hours day 1)
    Work from home option
    Managers are generally good (generally), competent
    Speedy promotion process for some

Cons

Metrics system is unrealistic
    Horrible healthcare premium for OK coverage
    No raises this year :(
    Horrible technology
    Impossible promotion process for others

Advice to Management

At interview they have managers telling people how simple promotions are going to be without telling them about the difficulty of the 5 point metrics process. Metrics scoring is like a juggler keeping all 5 balls in the air at the same time. It's the sales call scoring system. It has to be right on the 6 mo. review in order for a person to be promoted. Something is liable to fall, but they're welcome to apply again in 6 mos. IF the position is still available, IF your number are up. Also, one would have to be "mentored" by that manager from that other department you want to be promoted to for another period of time IF that manager has the time for all that and feels you're a good "fit". Of course all that could be bypassed if he/she likes the same sports team or already knows you outside the company, likes you, or if you have the better credentials (i.e., a Master's in the field or something). In other words, yes, some people are favored. I've seen it. Come in and in 2 months... BAM... promoted. Don't work here unless the job you apply for is probably the one you want for a while is all I'm saying.

Everything else I read about The Hartford, not wanting people but robots is true. It's an old company hinged on old values. It's not looking for superstars, I get that, but it's not looking to give up any money either. No promotions, no raises, and no commissions. It's not a salespersons place to be anymore. If you're in sales, keep walking.

3. "A company that has stopped valuing employees"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO benefits are generous. Pay for performance environment- this works great for frontline employees, if they want to work over time, they can make a significant amount of money in OT and additional yearly comp for doing so. Work at home opportunities.

Cons

Work environment and work life balance are talked about a lot but are not positive experiences here.
    Work loads continue to increase at all levels due to expense pressures. Diversity and Inclusion are also talked about a lot but if you look at upper management, it is clear that this is a lot of talk and not much action.

Advice to Management

Either get rid of the Employee survey or actually take steps at the executive team level to make changes vs. holding teams accountable for their results- employees all know that if they dare to complain on the anonymous survey, they will be rated poorly and get less compensation at year end. Go back to valuing people vs. viewing them as disposable commodities that can be replaced. Eventually we will run out of replacements.

"Sales Reps Beware"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Large, financially stable carrier. Excellent training programs, selling materials. Great peers, attracts talented individuals.

Cons

Sales - highly metrics oriented. Sales reps that have been there longest have the best territories . Newer sales reps will he expected to perform at same level with agents/territories that are not the cream of the crop.

Advice to Management

Comparative Sales and Policy Count Metrics are inherently flawed if there are specific territories with constant turnover. Other factors are at play with economically depressed areas, underwriting/availability of coverage quotes in certain geographic areas, Experienced, smart, diligent and savvy reps, new to Hartford, have failed. Wake Up and smell the stag scat!

"Workers Compensation Adjuster"

Current Employee - Workers Compensation Phoenix in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Workers Compensation Phoenix in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of hours worked. You can really come and go as you please so long as you get your 8 hours in. Other than that I wouldn't say there is any pros. Decent pay but there are literally 3-4 companies all doing the same thing nearby with the same rates and benefits without any of the hassle.

Cons

The management staff really has no clue what they are doing and in department meetings when problems are brought to their attention they side step and make excuses for themselves. They will tell you your maximum caseload may be 80-100 but the reality is you will be doing the work of two people because everyone leaves and they need to move that work somewhere so expect a caseload of 160-220 easy. Lucky you. The training is probably the worst aspect of it and everyone in management seems to be aware of the problem yet exercise no ability to implement change or even try to teach you on their own.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. You are beyond disconnected from your workers. Quite frankly they should toss all of you out and find managers that can actually ya know.. manage people. Learn to communicate and teach the employees that come to The Hartford with little to no claims experience as the rest of us who do have that experience and understand were being overworked are just going to continue to leave until you can MANAGE (key word here) to get it together. You are opening a Phoenix hub and scrambling to fill it with people when the reality is your management staff is the true cause of what's driving everyone away.

"Old School Company"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Company survived crash. Well established and well-known in the insurance industry. Great partnership within the community/volunteerism. Benefits ok - partial education reimbursement.

Cons

Company hurting - starting another year of layoffs. Eliminated pension plans, moved to self-directed health insurance. They focus on the recent grads who end up leaving. Forget trying to get promoted, many have been there for years and are in the same job/same title. Typical corporate environment, expected to work long hours with no bonus. Remote work not supported consistently across company.

Advice to Management

Start to walk the talk instead of advertising that you support certain initiatives but yet, your actions speak differently. Stop focusing on just on the younger generation who are get trained and leave - wasting a lot of $$

"Noticeable Changes"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, fitness center, clear lines for career advancement, generous tuition reimbursement, multiple coffee shops, free Parker, private park with running track

Cons

Culture is going in the wrong direction- it's not a good sign when Senior & Executive leaders take attendance at 8 AM and 4 PM, or question why people work from home on snow days (when WFH is a company benefit).

Advice to Management

Go back to a progressive management style

"I Don't Recommend Western Workers' Compensation at The Hartford"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, 401K match, vacation time, great salary

Cons

The upper management in Western Workers' Compensation leaves a lot to be desired. They are the whole reason I left. They do not get to know their staff and some of the managers in the office actually try to avoid speaking to anyone. If you are like me and need to feel like you belong to an inter-connected group this is not the group for you. Management says they encourage togetherness and teamwork but actions speak louder than words. The RVP never even learned how to spell my name.

Favoritism is big here. They will create made-up jobs for those who tend to brown nose. But everyone else is treated like human capitol. I am the type of person who gets satisfaction out of my job and out of contributing to something but being treated like I was just a number at a desk and anyone else could replace be was very disheartening.

The company culture is good outside of the Workers' Compensation department. If work-life balance is important to you this is not the job for you. They are always adding more reports designed to help us with our jobs but they are mandatory and time consuming. I was always logging on at home during the weeknights and on weekends.

One of the Department Managers in Phoenix also does not like to allow employees to have benefits like working from home 1-2 days a week unless they are single moms. I had to fight and fight for the right to stay home once a week but moms were being given phones without asking. He also thinks taking that benefit away should be a punishment for people who fall behind.

The training is abysmal and they are fully aware of it and have failed to make any improvements.

Advice to Management

I was a top performer and I left. That says something. Management needs to stop hiding behind excuses like "turnover is always high this time of year," and "they just weren't a good fit" when people choose to leave the company. If the underlying problems are not addressed the department will fail. Already this year turnover is higher than this time last year.

"Great in the beginning, but it went down hill"

Former Employee - High Exposure Claim Representative in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - High Exposure Claim Representative in Aurora, IL

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, ability to buy vacation time, allow remote workers. Company overall is fine, but Claims leaves a lot to be desired.

Cons

Unreasonable work loads, no work life balance, they micromanage every move, expect perfection and do not appreciate their employees. They have ridiculous expectations with customer service reviews!

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging and hire people with experience. Get rid of that ridiculous survey!!

"Strictly pays the bills"

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Remote work options
    Decent compensation and benefits structure

Cons

Unprofessionalism tolerated within the workplace. Our external customers are often rude and managers do not hold them accountable. Internal customers can also be rude and unprofessional at times and management makes excuses for it rather than addressing it. Makes the work environment very stressful and confrontational. Not exactly an environment I want to be in 9 hours a day/5 days a week. High volume and everyone needs everything yesterday. I have been with the company for 6 years and no consideration was given to me for career advancement when attempting to develop my career in other areas. Millennials generally aren't valued here for their opinions or feedback which is a huge con for companies looking to attract and retain talent.

Showing 242 of 1,403 reviews