The Hartford Reviews | Glassdoor

1,367 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,367 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not very good (in 73 reviews)

• This is suppose to be a call center but it is not (in 44 reviews)

1. "Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

strong education program and systems

Cons

low pay and hard to get promotion

Advice to Management

upgrade

"Workers Compensation Adjuster"

Current Employee - Workers Compensation Phoenix in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Workers Compensation Phoenix in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of hours worked. You can really come and go as you please so long as you get your 8 hours in. Other than that I wouldn't say there is any pros. Decent pay but there are literally 3-4 companies all doing the same thing nearby with the same rates and benefits without any of the hassle.

Cons

The management staff really has no clue what they are doing and in department meetings when problems are brought to their attention they side step and make excuses for themselves. They will tell you your maximum caseload may be 80-100 but the reality is you will be doing the work of two people because everyone leaves and they need to move that work somewhere so expect a caseload of 160-220 easy. Lucky you. The training is probably the worst aspect of it and everyone in management seems to be aware of the problem yet exercise no ability to implement change or even try to teach you on their own.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. You are beyond disconnected from your workers. Quite frankly they should toss all of you out and find managers that can actually ya know.. manage people. Learn to communicate and teach the employees that come to The Hartford with little to no claims experience as the rest of us who do have that experience and understand were being overworked are just going to continue to leave until you can MANAGE (key word here) to get it together. You are opening a Phoenix hub and scrambling to fill it with people when the reality is your management staff is the true cause of what's driving everyone away.

3. "Overall, good experience."

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay (starting at 14.50 and $15.75 just 1.5 yrs later) Benefits package is good and includes bonuses, discounts and gift cards. Fantastically supportive supervisors. Upward mobility. Professionalism.

Cons

Back to back to back calls. Ridiculous expected metrics. Low pay for industry, everyone lost their performance bonus even though OUR team was one of the highest performing. (-$5000 annually, ridiculous!) Explained to our customers why their rates were shooting up astronomically while we were taking a gigantic pay cut. Corporate greed, much? Expensive health insurance. Weekends and late night weekdays.

Advice to Management

You will lose a lot of experienced and motivated people because of the pay cut and the rate increases with irate customers. A few simple ways to solve: Pay more (this is good for morale, duh!) Don't hammer tenured reps with retention calls. Admit that the metrics are ridiculous. Hire enough people so that saying goodbye to one customer is not half a second away from answering the phone with the next customer.

4. "Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Hartford, CT

Pros

Good benefits.401k match is great. The gym is free and offers great classes. Liam McGee park is nice. Parking is free

Cons

Medical premiums are high. Open positions are re tiered or not filled. Many systems are out dated. Work spaces are very small.

"I Don't Recommend Western Workers' Compensation at The Hartford"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, 401K match, vacation time, great salary

Cons

The upper management in Western Workers' Compensation leaves a lot to be desired. They are the whole reason I left. They do not get to know their staff and some of the managers in the office actually try to avoid speaking to anyone. If you are like me and need to feel like you belong to an inter-connected group this is not the group for you. Management says they encourage togetherness and teamwork but actions speak louder than words. The RVP never even learned how to spell my name.

Favoritism is big here. They will create made-up jobs for those who tend to brown nose. But everyone else is treated like human capitol. I am the type of person who gets satisfaction out of my job and out of contributing to something but being treated like I was just a number at a desk and anyone else could replace be was very disheartening.

The company culture is good outside of the Workers' Compensation department. If work-life balance is important to you this is not the job for you. They are always adding more reports designed to help us with our jobs but they are mandatory and time consuming. I was always logging on at home during the weeknights and on weekends.

One of the Department Managers in Phoenix also does not like to allow employees to have benefits like working from home 1-2 days a week unless they are single moms. I had to fight and fight for the right to stay home once a week but moms were being given phones without asking. He also thinks taking that benefit away should be a punishment for people who fall behind.

The training is abysmal and they are fully aware of it and have failed to make any improvements.

Advice to Management

I was a top performer and I left. That says something. Management needs to stop hiding behind excuses like "turnover is always high this time of year," and "they just weren't a good fit" when people choose to leave the company. If the underlying problems are not addressed the department will fail. Already this year turnover is higher than this time last year.

"Stickler for rules"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay and the benefits are good

Cons

will not bend on rule to help folks out.

Advice to Management

When a person is in the top 25 of sales people in the country Don't fire them because the run out of family leave time. Your just shooting yourself in the foot.

7. "Associate Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, room to grow.

Cons

The work load can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Don't burn out your PDO peeps. Some of us find it hard to stick with it until we acn move up.

"Claims"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid reputable company. Inclusive work environment. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Significant workload expectations. Work-life balance is difficult. Management does not appear to understand same. Stubborn adherence to inefficient processes.

Advice to Management

Become more progressive in work processes to gain efficiencies.

"Professional Property Adjusters Beware"

Former Employee - Outside Property Claims Representative in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Outside Property Claims Representative in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Remote Work is nice. They have a nice logo and ignorant management so you can pay whatever amount you like on a claim to make it go away. The team leaders and Field Managers mostly have no idea how to work a property claim so they won't know the difference. Just my opinion.

Cons

All of this is my opinion. The Hartford became the worst in the last 18 months. The company switched outside Property Reps to hourly and are having them work 60 to 80 claims a month. The outside reps now basically stay home all day staring at a computer reviewing contractor estimates. The Hartford is trying to save money by reducing staff, not use IA's and just desk handling anything below $100k. The middle management has been charged with cutting expenses. Never mind the fact the company over pays nearly every single claim now, they saved a couple million on salary while over paying $100 million on claim payments. Since middle management is meeting staff expense cutting goals (while gutting quality staff) they get bonuses while the company gets destroyed.

Contractors are having a field day though.

Again, this is just my opinion from working at the Hartford.

Advice to Management

Hire some middle management that know insurance, not just certified change agents and auto reps. You made promises when you wrote insurance contracts and you are not keeping the promises you made. I cannot figure out how you still have the AARP contract. All you are doing is gaming the JD Power survey.

Advice to HR and benefits: Now that the job is awful, the fact that you eliminated the pension, took the cars from reps and branded them and still require payments from adjuster salaries, and bonuses are smaller, you have left no reason to be a loyal employee.

The only reason you have any outside staff today? Not enough other companies have openings. Again, all of this is just my opinion.

"My Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance, great benefits.

Cons

Slow to change, sometimes overly conservative, base salary is barely competitive

Showing 1,367 of 1,403 reviews