The Hartford Reviews | Glassdoor

The Hartford Reviews

Updated July 29, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Low pay and long hours."

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

The Hartford allows remote work.

Cons

No room for advancement. Coworkers leaving for better pay.

Advice to Management

The word is out.

"It's not always about the customer"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Able to work from home.

Cons

Managment focuses more on the customer and not the employees. They put too much pressure on you to be perfect, and when you are not they hold that against you. Management does not care about past performance or time vested in the business. They will fire you with a drop of the hat.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the needs of your employees and not just the customer. Don't overload the employees with work and expect perfection, we are all himan and we do make mistakes. Also, take into consideration the employee's past performance and length of service bwfore you just fire them. Managment needs to stand up for the employees more.

"Changes are not always best. The Personal Lines of the Hartford is now become less employees and more responsibility."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training, okay benefits, Work life balance only if you make sure you are the best otherwise it is declined or held over your head.

Cons

Metrics are changing and harder to achieve. Pay is poor for the skills you obtain. Little to no movement, They do not try to keep the best employees.

Advice to Management

You may want to remember those reps on the phones are the ones putting money in your pocket. You need to listen to the whispers, if you are hearing people upset believe it.

"Never-ending Expense Cutting and Stealth/non-stealth Layoffs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the parking (albeit very far away) is free

Cons

too many senior managers, too many people who have been at the company for 20+ years with huge compensation packages that do not do any actual work and are vicious in protecting their fluff jobs; lack of senior leadership; no vision or direction for the company, just constant efforts to reduce expenses to be almost competitive with other P&C carriers

Advice to Management

act more decisively. if you announce mass layoffs, do not spend two years conducting them. have a vision for the future and try to engage your employees instead of threatening them with RIFs. remove the tedious layers of useless middle management.

"Watch your back"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Very good people work there and depending on your division/unit, there could be a good culture

Cons

Constant reorgs and "cost savings" cuts

Advice to Management

if you expect loyalty from EE's than you should reward loaylty

"The Hartford was once a great company to work for...."

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employees - however, the best have left, or are preparing to leave.
    Good PTO structure.
    Competitive pay/salary - not worth the long hours, demands and overall lack of work/life balance.

Cons

The Hartford was the BEST company to work for, for many years. Unfortunately, changes in senior leadership has destroyed the company from the top down. Fear based management, micro-managing leaders and unqualified senior leaders have led to the downfall of this once great company.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors needs to require a full overhaul of upper management, if this company is to survive. Threats and a punitive work environment does not help to retain "top talent". Amending the bonus structure AFTER the year has been completed, with new metrics, only speaks to the current mindset of senior leaders and the fact the company is not quite as ethical as they tout. The ship is sinking.

""But you have work/life balance because we let you work those 50 hours from home."-my former supervisor"

Former Employee - Clinical
    Former Employee - Clinical

I worked at The Hartford (More than a year)

Pros

Remote opportunities
    Values and rewards community service even for remote workers

Cons

My supervisor had me work over to complete his/her work and then entered into files as his/her own. This was not a case of delegation.

Bonus program pits employees against each other which if you have a particularly evil supervisor he or she will exploit to no end.

Training and standards are subjective and inconsistent.

Micromanagement, constant pointless meetings, and more micromanagement. Did I mention micromanagement?

You are expected to work 50+ hours a week. If you need time off during the week, it does not matter if you have worked over 40 hours, if it's during business time you will take PTO.

Regarding the 50+hour work week. My supervisor told me that I had work/life balance because I got to work those 50 hours from home.

IT is horrendous to the point of impacting your productivity if you are remote.

No coverage when you are out for less than 3-5 days. And if your team lead is feeling petty and vindictive no coverage for the 3-5 days. That day off you want to take? Sick child? You pay for it.

Advice to Management

Restructure your antiquated management style and system. Standardize quality metrics and oversee mid-level managers such as team leads. Mid-levels need to not run teams unchecked. Improve IT.

"Risk Engineering - Avoid"

Current Employee - Risk Engineering Consultant in Field, NM
    Current Employee - Risk Engineering Consultant in Field, NM

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good starting salary, PTO (although health benefits are quickly eroding)
    Work from home
    Company car

Cons

Ignore the bogus 5-star reviews. This company is toxic.

New "bonus" program actively pits you against your co-workers. Morale is worse today than anywhere I have ever worked (opposite of 10 years ago at Hartford). Management at all levels above field manager are uninspiring and only concerned with job security. Low morale somehow becomes our fault for not drinking the Kool aid. Metrics have nothing to do with helping insureds or our underwriters. Risk engineering management insists that their systems are amazing despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Advice to Management

If the goal is to reduce expense ratio, adding layers of management, onerous systems, mindless paperwork, and self-eggrandizing "success stories" is counterproductive. Listen to your employees. We take surveys and the results are ignored. This company will be acquired unless leadership actually starts leading - not just rehashing what they did at their old company.

"very political"

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive benefits at least in actuarial

Cons

very political environment, your merits will be overlooked if you're a minority

"Beware the fake reviews.."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

This company is turning toxic at an astounding rate. They've stopped caring about the employees and started playing the blame game. Finding shortcuts to eliminate bonuses (that were included as part of projected salary during hiring) and generally self destructing beautifully.

They're also sprinkling false reviews to try and make themselves seem a bit palatable. You can spot them. They're short, and say "nothing is wrong lol".

Advice to Management

Grow up. Treat your employees like adults.

Some things you should note:

- Don't stick to this "there's not a queue" line. We all went through training and know you can assign calls to specific agents.

- Reward all of the agents who have stuck with you as you've skyrocketed rates and laughed while they try to write business to earn a living wage.

- Take responsibility for YOUR mistakes.

Showing 163 of 1,439 reviews