The Hartford Reviews | Glassdoor

The Hartford Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is deteriorating significantly (in 70 reviews)

• This is suppose to be a call center but it is not (in 44 reviews)

1. "Underwriting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sanford, FL

I worked at The Hartford (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, opportunity to work from home, flexible schedule

Cons

Do not live up to ADA or FMLA standards, although advising other companies on it

Advice to Management

Do not assume a problem is going to continue reoccurring, once medications are adjusted and the employee feels well enough, encourage them and keep them in the loop. FYI - this job is NOT stressful so stop using it as an excuse.

"Typical Callcenter"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base pay is good
    PTO Bank is very large
    work from home opportunity

Cons

Each year the company raises the bar in every aspect of what the employee needs to produce to be considered "meeting expectations" which is in their eyes is performing below expectations
    Staffing is always lower than needed, overtime is pushed on all, and if you don't participate it looks bad on your review.
    Company procedures make the job more difficult than it needs to be. They don't encourage thinking, just following steps blindly.
    PTO bank is large, but the days you can actually use them is the real pain point

Advice to Management

Start looking at what was good in the past and recreate that. The more you push people beyond the breaking point the more you will ruin your company.

"Popularity contest"

Current Employee - Underwriter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation time. Laid back work environment.

Cons

Too laid back. Very clique-ish. You better really enjoy your position because you're going to be there for a while. Consistently reward the wrong behaviors, and thus the wrong people. Cannot retain top talent.

Advice to Management

Those that are the loudest aren't necessarily the best. They're often the most toxic on a team and the cause of turnover.

"poor company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellington, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellington, CT

I have been working at The Hartford (Less than a year)

Pros

health benefits, 401k, fair pay

Cons

poor culture, negative attitudes, "watch your back" or CYA feeling every day at work, not collaborative

Advice to Management

if you don't support, mentor and grow employees you will lose good talent

"Learning Consultant"

Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Coventry, CT
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Coventry, CT

I worked at The Hartford (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allow telecommute work. Offers bonuses.

Cons

The work culture is cutthroat.

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked for HFP, Stability in the insurance and financial products space with existing client/customer base.

Cons

Projects are redundant, technology used is archaic, Did not see any attempt to expand the customer base or grow new business, foreign managers have some communication limitations. Issue management can be handled more prudently, repetitive system issues reported and the fix is a patch 99% of the time. Need to perform structured root cause analysis and not jump to conclusions based on historic occurrences.

Advice to Management

Update yourselves with knowledge on how to communicate with the younger generation of professionals.

"Decent Pay, Poor Environment"

Former Employee - Policy Services Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Policy Services Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at The Hartford (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant coworkers, paid training, different schedules to choose from, opportunity for advancement, raises, and bonuses based on performance, site-wide fun events, paid time off

Cons

very busy call center environment, newbies get stuck with the night shift, will likely work weekends, evenings, and holidays, very strict schedule adherence - must be "glued to the phone", poor management, unprofessionalism of some management

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

"Senior Underwriter Key Accounts"

Former Employee - Senior Commercial Underwriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Commercial Underwriter in New York, NY

I worked at The Hartford full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice offices and nice starting salary.

Cons

Lack of training, office politics, lack of management.

Advice to Management

Don't set your employees up to fail.

"Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Windsor, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great medical, dental & time off. Yes incredible training.

Cons

You're constantly wondering if your getting written up. From day one at The Hartford there is a constant reminder of being written up for taking time off without previously scheduling the time. This sales position is a joke. I sell 8-10 policies a day and I'm supposed to receive up to $20 a policy but have never seen a dime of that commission. They avoid that payout with the "METRICS".

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Metrics. Be honest with people before hiring them because you don't pay people well.

"Not What I Expected"

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am making more money than I did at my previous job, weekends off, paid holidays off, set schedule.

Cons

STRESSFUL!!! Training was sub-par at best. My trainer was very unprofessional and spent a lot of time talking about her personal love life, getting drunk, and her kids. The majority of my classmates were immature and being in the class felt like being in grade school again. Lots of bullying and being made to feel like an idiot if you had a question or just needed a little clarification on something. No support from management or trainer once out of training. Management has no idea what's going on and are unable to answer any questions that you may have. I have NEVER been so stressed and miserable to the point of crying at work until I started working for The Hartford. I quit a job that I had been at for 4 years to come to The Hartford because of the money but after finding out what all this job entails, I quickly realized that I am severely underpaid. The calls are back to back and the customers can be rude sometimes. But not only are the customers rude, hartford employees in other departments are equally as rude when you call over for assistance. Upper management pretends to care about you and your thoughts by having you complete "anonymous" surveys and submit requests to have changes implemented. I have been here for 9 months and so far I haven't seen any "harvest submissions" actually come to fruition. I have to give myself a pep talk on the way to work every morning so that I don't have a nervous breakdown because the stress is affecting my health. I am actively looking for a job elsewhere and I hope to be leaving this company very soon!!!

Advice to Management

Instead of just "acting" like you want your employees' input, spend some time looking into "why" so many people leave the company and why you're always hiring. Also provide a platform for your employees to give their "honest" feedback on their experiences at The Hartford without fear of retaliation.

Showing 239 of 1,379 reviews