The Hartford Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,493 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Work from home sounds great but...."

Former Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Denver, CO

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits; PTO is generous, employee discount

Cons

Long hours, poor training, management does not listen, work from home option, but you don't have a life

"Additional benefits"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is great with community service and giving back.
    Flexible schedules with remote work options are available.
    The company has competitive salaries, bonus structure, and benefits.

Cons

Much of your bonus benefits are dependent on catastrophic activities that are not controllable, but such is the industry.
    Some departments work in silos adding difficulty to customer service.
    Some company technology seems outdated comparatively with other large companies

"Building Careers"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management will meet you are YOUR level of commitment to your career. Unfortunately employees expect to be a manager in a year and that is not realistic. But - do your work, grow in the role that you have and be the best every day, work our your growth and development plan with your manager and work it. Good things will happen if you are patient and diligent.

Cons

While we say we are open to remote work, all recent advanced roles are only located in Windsor! HIG this is a backwards move!

Advice to Management

Continue to build remote work opportunities! There are a vast majority of talented staff that are just not able to relocate to a hub or home office. We are missing out on top talent.

"I feel fully engaged and enabled working for The Hartford."

Current Employee - Property Damage Assessment in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Property Damage Assessment in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is sought by leadership. I’m able to work remotely and that makes all the difference with my family.

Plenty of opportunities to grow one’s career. I know The Hartford is vested in my future and success. There are several accelerated development programs to take advantage of.

I was able to take advantage of the student tuition assistance program.

Healthy PTO, especially with tenure

There is a safe environment to express ones ideas and opinions. Senior leaders are transparent and lend an ear to any bottom up learnings/opinions.

Company has bright future.

Cons

Fair amount of North East think without considering full spectrum of views.

Continual opportunities to alleviate obstacles to front line staff.

Advice to Management

Pros far outweigh the cons. I know upper management cares and wants to do a good job across all mediums. Please continue your efforts to ensure a continued happy workforce. I couldn’t be more proud to be aligned with such a well rounded company.

5. "Very ethical company with decent benefits in general however they don't go above and beyond to set themselves apart."

Current Employee - Implementation
    Current Employee - Implementation

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO is good. Company tries to be innovative and coworkers are great.

Cons

Outsourcing IT resources. Many different systems which are not integrated to feed all information well and therefore there is a lot of repetition in loading information. Not innovative with new products and typical large corporate culture makes change a long process. Management listens and appears open to suggestions but the process is very cumbersome. Recent system enhancements have not produced intended efficiencies.

Advice to Management

More investment in people at the lower customer facing levels to increase customer service. Make IT resources more reponsive in making changes to increase overall efficiencies.

6. "Stay away if you are an innovator."

Former Employee - D Suite
    Former Employee - D Suite

Pros

Honesty none. Pretty standard compared to other employers. Heath Care is really expensive. No reason to work here over other.

Cons

Company is rooted in how it has been. People with ideas to offer are blacklisted. Company is horrible w claims even for employees - god help the rest.

Advice to Management

Good luck. You will not grow without change. Complete overhaul needed. Hanging on to execs who are past usefulness is a waste. Pay them if you must but send them home. Get rid of people in CT - maybe move HQ - CT is like Siberia to NA

"Solid company, thinks it has great history but it is very slow moving internally"

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good PTO benefit! Salaries seem pretty average. Easy to skate by and cruise.
     Finally clearing out the old old school mentality and personalities

Cons

Slow moving internally, tough to get much done. HR is terrible

8. "Claims Specialist"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

helping clients who been in accidents return on the road as soon as possible

Cons

alot of people in california get in accidents

Advice to Management

raise criteria for those able to add children 18 and under to policy

9. "It Was a Job"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

My co-workers were great, and most people loved going to happy hour together. They made the job worth keeping.

Cons

Being a person of color

The Hartford Response

Oct 24, 2017 – Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. As a company committed to cultivating an environment and culture where all employees feel valued and respected, we take feedback such as this very seriously. So we may... More

"Not enough adjusters"

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The fellow employees in my department were a great group of people to work with. Even though we were remote employees, we always had the ability to reach out to one another for help, to run ideas by, to commiserate, etc. Great teamwork.

Cons

Claim volume was much too high, if you wanted to realistically reach and exceed your goals, actually give customers the time and attention their claims deserved, provide timely resolutions.

Advice to Management

In this day and age the insurance world will continue to see an increase in claim volume, the massive storms are not going away, thefts (personal and commercial) continue to rise, etc. You need to hire more adjusters. Don't spend months talking about it, just do it. You're losing good employees who truly care about what they do and care about the customers. Persistent high claim volumes and not enough adjusters leads to major burnout, lowered file quality scores. Be the better insurance company that people want to work for.

Showing 1,493 of 1,542 reviews