The Harvard Drug Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Terry Haas

Pros
  • 50 cent vending machines and free coffee, that's about it (in 4 reviews)

• Great training program, management is very nice and wants you to succeed (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Only way to move up is when kiss up to upper management and hope you get the active leads of the people who leave the company (in 5 reviews)

• It was separate from the call center and we only got an hour a day with current employees to see what actually happens during a work day (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great organization with an incredibly bright future. If your looking to enter into the sales arena, working for The Harvard Drug Group will provide you with great training and support that will put you on the road for success.

Cons

In order to be successful in the sales roles you will need to make a significant amount of daily phone calls. Some sales reps have made comments about "micro-managing" the reality is, it is a sales organization and there are expectations as any position has. The performance indicators are exactly those, the indicators that must be achieved in order to perform successfully.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what your doing!

2. "Don't waste your time!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off
    Most people are great

Cons

This is the most poorly organized, micro-managed, unprofessional company I have ever been associated with- it is embarrassing to even admit that I ever worked here. If I could rate it negative stars, I would.
    The interview process is incredibly easy. Looking back on it, it makes sense because they will literally hire anyone. They will later tell you in training that you don't need a degree to do this job. This is incredibly offensive to someone like myself, who is degreed and has an extensive professional background. HR and the hiring managers will sell you on this company because they are part of Cardinal Health. I hate to admit it, but I was totally fooled. Cardinal Health should be incredibly ashamed to have such an awful representation of its organization.
    You are paid a flat rate plus commission. You are also told that you are projected to make $40-50K in your first year. There is a "3 year plan" that projects you to make 6 figures. Unfortunately, you are never given proper training on your commission plan. In fact you are not allowed to have a copy of the commission structure or breakdown. I have been in a commissioned position for my entire professional career- this is unheard of. During your first six months, you have a guaranteed commission. What you are not told is that it is virtually impossible to hit that $650 after it expires!
    You are given a handful of "active" clients. They glorify this because these customers are typically one-time only buys. If you begin increasing sales well enough on some of these accounts, management will actually take the accounts from you and disperse them to senior reps. For example, I opened a brand new account and began selling regularly to the customer. Once the client was built up enough, the account was taken away from me with the excuse that a senior rep had a previous relationship with the customer and the customer requested this particular rep's service. When I made the management team aware that this was actually a lead account and the customer had never worked with the company before, I was completely ignored. Similar situations happened to myself and several coworkers for the duration of my employment. I was told regularly that these situations would be researched, they never were. Quotas increase astronomically every month, so situations like this make it virtually impossible to achieve your minimum attainment.
    The "management" team is a poor excuse for a team of adult babysitters. I found absolutely no value in their abilities. The majority of them have been with the company for less than a year, have never worked in pharmaceuticals and have certainly never attempted the job itself. On more than one occasion, I have been told to lie to customer by management. They are lazy, arrogant and unprofessional. If you are an employee here, you will frequently hear "I'll get back to you on that", "there's an email out for senior management already" and "we'll talk about that offline". During morning "sales" meetings, they do not field questions. Their response for questions during meetings often results in the accusation that the employee asking is being negative and they won't tolerate it.
    The turnover rate is incredibly high. In fact, most people don't make it through their first six months. Management will tell you it's because of the competitive atmosphere. Realistically, it's because the atmosphere is terribly negative. Managers are quick to cut you down and talk to you like a child.
    You don't need any sales experience whatsoever to do this job. There is virtually no "sales" in the position at all. You are a glorified order taker. Go work at McDonalds, you will make more.

Advice to Management

There's a difference between LEADERS vs. MANAGER

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got nothin. They do have 50 cent vending machines. That's all I can think of.

Cons

Ever since Cardinal Health bought out Harvard Drug, things have gone downhill at top speed. The commission plan is so complicated, no reps can figure out what they will be earning (so they have no idea wether they're getting screwed or not) and I can tell you that after Cardinal took over, my commission got smaller. They make you take a drug test by cutting hair from your scalp, very unprofessional and borderline assault in my opinion. One perk that we had was free lunch every day in training-nope, that's gone now too since Cardinal took over. You will be chained to a desk, bullied into making 80 calls a day to customers who do not want to talk to you. I have had customers yell and swear at me, tell me to never call again, only to be told by my manager that I must call them at least once a week or else the account will be taken away from me and given to another rep. My manager would send threatening emails to me (and to other reps as well) telling us we are not allowed to leave for lunch or take a break until we make X amount of dials or X number of minutes in talk time. The sales and call goals are unrealistic, and its difficult to be successful when the prices and product selection are not very competitive. They are firing people constantly, although most quit once they realize what's going on, or once they realize how depressing the job really is. My happiest day at this place was my last one.

Advice to Management

Why bother? This company doesn't do anything to support the salespeople (even though without them, no one else in the company would have a freaking job at all!)

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this job is the benefits and being able to get them as soon as you start.

Cons

Training was horrible. It was separate from the call center and we only got an hour a day with current employees to see what actually happens during a work day. No time on the phone ourselves during training which makes it hard to learn. after training was over our trainer left to go back to NY and our manager was off traveling for months. so a whole group of new hires were left, barely knowing how to do the job with no support. The system we trained on was changed right when we started. And now that our manager is back, he sits in his office with the door closed and blinds shut almost all day. I've emailed him with questions and got no response, even though i know he's right at his desk. They tell you they will give you new accounts to call but they don't, so you'll be stuck calling the same accounts everyday. No one wants to buy from Harvard. Prices suck. I've had customers tell me that our specials are more expensive than normal prices at other companies. And if you can't get a customer to buy or even get them in the phone, you're told that it's your fault and you need to do something different. Can't get sales as it is and quota keeps going up regardless. No communication between anyone in this company. Worst job i've ever had..

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and actually manage. Your monotone voice and bland personality does nothing to motivate employees to make sales.

"Inside sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group (Less than a year)

Pros

None other then a .50 cent vending machine.

Cons

The hours were horrible. You would get leads that had been sued so often that the person on the other line would just hang up on you. The managers were the worst. One manager would just sit all day & email you what you were doing wrong, even though he sat right begins you, instead of helping you out. The only good accounts were given to their favorites. Literally the worst job & most unimportant job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Stop sitting at your desk & chewing your lunch so loudly. Be a manager instead of a bully.

7. "inside sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Livonia, MI

Pros

Benefits from Cardinal health, hoping Cardinal will reorganize Harvard Drugs and get new management to revise employee compensation plan ( base salary)

Cons

Office, limited possible for career growth. Low pay hourly , Hours of required sales not for family life. Call center making 80 calls a day. Management at office ? Corporate office OH. Unfinished office, company not putting money into staff to retain. No future for starting employees if not in management... Where are the professional degree managers encouraging employees to grow in their career not in Michigan, Office depressing. No team work. Everyone for themselves..

Advice to Management

Reorganize Harvard Drug company. Pay employees fairly, low hourly wage, Company unprofessional, VP of Harvard not even in Michigan

"Sales manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Pros

Great training. They put on a great front.

Cons

They give you leads yhat have been beat into the dirt. Call the same numbers to get cussed out and hung up on 3 times a day to hit unrealistic goal. No one wants their generics. Only way to move up is when kiss up to upper management and hope you get the active leads of the people who leave the company.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with what the job is and with goals.

"Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Pros

Nothing was good here all favorites were choosen

Cons

Everything! micromanaged and managers and upper management are all useless

Advice to Management

Get with the program

"Outbound Sales"

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is right by the freeway so it's easy access and they have a great discount on generic OTC products.

Cons

They had no real game plan when it came to sales or training. Most team leads were more helpful and knew more than management.

Advice to Management

Not to have sales manager on the floor who has zero sales experience. How can you coach somone when they never sold a thing in their entire life.

"Avoid this job at all costs"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Oxford, MS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Oxford, MS

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees help each other out... Because no one else will

Local managers are nice and seem to care, even though they have very little power to accomplish any amount of change

Cons

Insane levels of micro-management, if you wish to feel like a toddler learning to use the bathroom come and work for Harvard.

The call and duration expectations are nearly impossible when they refuse to give you enough people to call. You will be punished for not hitting these goals.

Certain employees are obvious favorites, certain offices catch all of the breaks. Avoid working in any offices other than Livonia.

Management is ultimately clueless. The level of asinine decisions that are made on a daily basis will make you want to pull out your hair. On top of obvious ineptitude, they refuse to retain a single mission, goals and processes are changed every week without any input from the sales staff

I could continue but I digress, the level of incompetency and unprofessionalism at the Harvard Drug Group is matched by few and exceeded by none.

Advice to Management

Learn that your sales reps are people. Your sales reps have good ideas and understand this business far better than you do. Empower them and respect them as individuals.