The Headfirst Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
The Headfirst Companies Founder & President Brendan Sullivan
Brendan Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Work Environment and Great People"

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time

Pros

The people who work at Headfirst make it what it is. It is a talented, driven, young staff of incredibly impressive people. The people are far and away the best part about the job. It is fun going to work each and every day.

Cons

Hours can be long in and around the summer (to be expected at a summer camps organization)

2. "Great place to start your professional career"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture at Headfirst is fantastic - I genuinely care for everyone that I work with, and that translates into our work. It's comforting knowing everyone around you is putting in their best work. The office is very relaxed, with jokes flying, good music playing, and snacks abound.
    The experience is extremely valuable - because it's a small company, you can hit the ground running with more responsibility and ownership than most entry-level workers will ever see. You're able to rise quickly and show your worth right away.
    Brendan, the CEO, is one of the best people I've ever known. He will inspire you every day to do your absolute best.

Cons

The hours can be tough - the nature of the work tends to require more of a time commitment than your average office job. The pay is not great relative to other similar industries.

Advice to Management

Focus less on the negatives - it can be disheartening when the only thing that's ever talked about is what was done wrong.

3. "Great work with great people"

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time

Pros

It's a great work environment with a lot smart, driven people working towards a common mission.

Cons

The hours can get a little intense in the summer

4. "Good Internship, Great Company"

Current Intern - Internship in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Internship in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies as an intern

Pros

I've had a great experience this summer at Headfirst. I have learned a lot in both the fields of customer experience and sales. Everyone in the office seems to enjoy being here and being with one another, as well as the clients they are working with. While the days can be long, the energy in the office is always positive and you are treated as a part of the Headfirst family.

Cons

Some days can be very busy and overwhelming while others can be very slow - a nature of this type of internship. Communication to interns can be better at times.

5. "Good Job"

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time

Pros

Job is fun and interesting

Cons

Pay could be much better

Advice to Management

Could pay more

6. "Unique, Fun Challenging Environment"

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday is a good day! The environment is engaging and the work is challenging as we never settle for anything but our best. A few things standout working at Headfirst:
    - We provide life changing experiences to kids & young adults which makes it easier to push a little harder.
    - We believe in what we do and truly enjoy working with each other.
    - We strive to be the best in our space whether it's operations, marketing, finance or talent and believe we are pretty good at it.

Cons

Our service is in a demanding space which requires creative thinking, flexibility and personal ownership and this can require extra hours during the week & weekends which can be tiring.

7. "Excellent, but demanding culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging, yet rewarding, work experience.
    - Opportunity to impact lives, from campers, to staff, to other team members. You can see the growth and impact your work is having. Few jobs provide such an experience.
    - Absolutely wonderful team. They push you to work hard every day. Most fun work environment I've seen or even heard of. Brilliant, compassionate, and gregarious people make this job so worth it.
    - No micromanagement. Management wants you to bring your own ideas and to lead. They are fair and even handed, not petty or self-serving. They lead by example.
    - I have gained so much knowledge and experience, this job has been a blessing for my professional development.
    - Lots of fun, extracurricular activities and team bonding.
    - Great location in DC with easy access.

Cons

- Would prefer more diverse background in HQ staff.
    - Long hours, including weekends, especially during the summer months.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the strong work.
    - Continue to challenge the team while keeping an open-mind.

8. "Pinch me, I'm Dreaming"

Pros

1. Inspiring Colleagues: Work with brilliant coworkers that redefine what it means to go above and beyond. Their care for each other and the Headfirst mission are palpable, making this easiest the best team I have ever worked with. They push me to get better everyday.
    2. Challenging Work: Innovation is a requirement. The management team challenges all team members to push the boundaries of the industry sparking creative and engaging debates. Most days I leave intellectually exhausted yet fired up for the next day's opportunities.
    3. Mission: We work everyday to inspire the personal best in all of the campers. There is simply no better way to recover from any stress than to spend a day watching the impact your work is having on the lives of children and young adults.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where the expectations and commitment level required to succeed are tied only to your ability to show up on time, this is not the place for you. The culture demands your best every day.

9. "The place to be for intelligent/hungry professionals looking to positively impact younger generations' lives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Culture: Great people with really impressive/diverse education backgrounds, hungry to do their jobs at a high level but have a TON of fun while doing it
    -Management: Team of people that truly cares about your professional development and life outside of work - at the same time, they push you to reach your personal best as an employee
    -Type of work: Knowing that all aspects of your work go towards making a great experience for a kid during the summer or helping a high school athlete achieve their goal of playing in college makes this job INCREDIBLY fulfilling

Cons

-Summer vacation: Can't take a two-week trip to the beach in July like your friends (but we've all learned that late summer/early fall is a great time to travel)

10. "D.C.'s Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Talent & Legal Affairs in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Talent & Legal Affairs in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headfirst is all about a team environment and every single person works hard to ensure that we are providing campers and seasonal team members alike with a summer they will never forget. The culture at Headfirst is infectiously positive as we work each and every day to inspire the personal best in young people and each other.

Cons

Long hours in the summer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.