The Headfirst Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
The Headfirst Companies Founder & President Brendan Sullivan
Brendan Sullivan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience as Coach for Washington Nationals Baseball Camps ran by HF"

Former Employee - Coach, Washington Nationals Baseball Camp in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coach, Washington Nationals Baseball Camp in Washington, DC

I worked at The Headfirst Companies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great on-site leadership and support from folks at headquarters office
    -other coaches were really fun to work with and were smart people
    -locations were easy and convenient to get to around the DMV
    -compensation was very good given the hours worked (about 8) and weeks worked (about 7)
    -curriculum and activities were enjoyed by the campers, especially the Nats Park visit

Cons

-as with any job involving kids, sometimes the days can be long, especially when it is hot and the kids do not want to play as much, but we probably only encountered this issue about once a week

Advice to Management

To continue to hire great on-site leaders. Our Site Leader and Camp and Safety Coordinator were very nice, understanding, and good motivators each day.

2. "D.C.'s Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Talent & Legal Affairs in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Talent & Legal Affairs in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headfirst is all about a team environment and every single person works hard to ensure that we are providing campers and seasonal team members alike with a summer they will never forget. The culture at Headfirst is infectiously positive as we work each and every day to inspire the personal best in young people and each other.

Cons

Long hours in the summer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "The place to be for intelligent/hungry professionals looking to positively impact younger generations' lives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Culture: Great people with really impressive/diverse education backgrounds, hungry to do their jobs at a high level but have a TON of fun while doing it
    -Management: Team of people that truly cares about your professional development and life outside of work - at the same time, they push you to reach your personal best as an employee
    -Type of work: Knowing that all aspects of your work go towards making a great experience for a kid during the summer or helping a high school athlete achieve their goal of playing in college makes this job INCREDIBLY fulfilling

Cons

-Summer vacation: Can't take a two-week trip to the beach in July like your friends (but we've all learned that late summer/early fall is a great time to travel)

4. "Pinch me, I'm Dreaming"

Pros

1. Inspiring Colleagues: Work with brilliant coworkers that redefine what it means to go above and beyond. Their care for each other and the Headfirst mission are palpable, making this easiest the best team I have ever worked with. They push me to get better everyday.
    2. Challenging Work: Innovation is a requirement. The management team challenges all team members to push the boundaries of the industry sparking creative and engaging debates. Most days I leave intellectually exhausted yet fired up for the next day's opportunities.
    3. Mission: We work everyday to inspire the personal best in all of the campers. There is simply no better way to recover from any stress than to spend a day watching the impact your work is having on the lives of children and young adults.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where the expectations and commitment level required to succeed are tied only to your ability to show up on time, this is not the place for you. The culture demands your best every day.

5. "Excellent, but demanding culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging, yet rewarding, work experience.
    - Opportunity to impact lives, from campers, to staff, to other team members. You can see the growth and impact your work is having. Few jobs provide such an experience.
    - Absolutely wonderful team. They push you to work hard every day. Most fun work environment I've seen or even heard of. Brilliant, compassionate, and gregarious people make this job so worth it.
    - No micromanagement. Management wants you to bring your own ideas and to lead. They are fair and even handed, not petty or self-serving. They lead by example.
    - I have gained so much knowledge and experience, this job has been a blessing for my professional development.
    - Lots of fun, extracurricular activities and team bonding.
    - Great location in DC with easy access.

Cons

- Would prefer more diverse background in HQ staff.
    - Long hours, including weekends, especially during the summer months.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the strong work.
    - Continue to challenge the team while keeping an open-mind.

6. "Great place"

I worked at The Headfirst Companies full-time

Pros

Great place to work -- always has been.

Cons

No cons to mention today.

7. "Great work with great people"

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time

Pros

It's a great work environment with a lot smart, driven people working towards a common mission.

Cons

The hours can get a little intense in the summer

"Good place to work for young adults"

Pros

Professionally managed, fun, positive atmosphere, good pay.

Cons

Can be strict, lots of rules, demanding parents.

Advice to Management

Do not tolerate campers that detract from the atmosphere.

9. "Good experience, strong company."

Former Employee - Operations Logistics
    Former Employee - Operations Logistics

I worked at The Headfirst Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well paid, organized, structured. They treat you fairly and reward hard workers.

Cons

Long hours and tough work. Nature of industry is difficult.

Advice to Management

Be a little more personal. People dont work in child-care so they can be in a corporate environment.

10. "This was a pretty fun camp to work at."

I worked at The Headfirst Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience working with kids, activities are fun, always something to do

Cons

HR isn't awful but they also weren't particularly organized, People themselves tend to be snooty and feel as if they're too good for you. What do you expect from a camp that charges 500 dollars per week though?

Advice to Management

Managers should pay special attention to hiring people based on their ability to work with kids and others. I had a difficult time here and felt like an outsider for most of the summers.