The Headfirst Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Brendan Sullivan

1. "Good Opportunity"

Former Employee - New York Yankees Summer Camp Head Coach in New York, NY
    Former Employee - New York Yankees Summer Camp Head Coach in New York, NY

I worked at The Headfirst Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to network. If you show a lot of enthusiasm at camp and a willingness to learn, you will be recognized and.

Cons

- Inform potential employees during the interview process about the rigors of travel when working with the MLB camps.
    - Have realistic timelines when working at the camps. The schedules and curriculum are great but the time allotted for each task is not enough when working with kids.

2. "Proud to be a part of one of the Best Places to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Engaging group of young professionals working towards a shared goal
    - Constant push to be the best you that you can be, and a teamwork mindset that never sleeps
    - Company culture that is insanely positive
    - Work hard, Play Hard! Lots of laughs in this open floor plan
    - Encouragement to be an independent & motivated self-starter

Cons

- Long hours, but it is rewarding knowing you played a crucial role in creating one of the most memorable experiences for a number of children (and it makes you appreciate that downtime in the fall!)

3. "Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor

I worked at The Headfirst Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with kids is something that you get to do a lot. However, they hire by the week. If you are just looking for a part time summer job, I do not recommend it

Cons

They hire by the week. If you are just looking for a part time summer job, I do not recommend it. They over-hire on purpose. So, if they need 15 counselors, they will hire 30 for the summer and only allow half of you to work. Then, they keep the counselors that "fit" their ideal counselor. So, if you need to make money during the summer I would not recommend Headfirst because it is not guaranteed they will even use you at all if you are hired.

Advice to Management

Be more straight up with the counselors that you hire and do not simply treat them as meat.

5. "Excellent, but demanding culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging, yet rewarding, work experience.
    - Opportunity to impact lives, from campers, to staff, to other team members. You can see the growth and impact your work is having. Few jobs provide such an experience.
    - Absolutely wonderful team. They push you to work hard every day. Most fun work environment I've seen or even heard of. Brilliant, compassionate, and gregarious people make this job so worth it.
    - No micromanagement. Management wants you to bring your own ideas and to lead. They are fair and even handed, not petty or self-serving. They lead by example.
    - I have gained so much knowledge and experience, this job has been a blessing for my professional development.
    - Lots of fun, extracurricular activities and team bonding.
    - Great location in DC with easy access.

Cons

- Would prefer more diverse background in HQ staff.
    - Long hours, including weekends, especially during the summer months.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the strong work.
    - Continue to challenge the team while keeping an open-mind.

6. "Pinch me, I'm Dreaming"

Pros

1. Inspiring Colleagues: Work with brilliant coworkers that redefine what it means to go above and beyond. Their care for each other and the Headfirst mission are palpable, making this easiest the best team I have ever worked with. They push me to get better everyday.
    2. Challenging Work: Innovation is a requirement. The management team challenges all team members to push the boundaries of the industry sparking creative and engaging debates. Most days I leave intellectually exhausted yet fired up for the next day's opportunities.
    3. Mission: We work everyday to inspire the personal best in all of the campers. There is simply no better way to recover from any stress than to spend a day watching the impact your work is having on the lives of children and young adults.

Cons

If you are looking for a job where the expectations and commitment level required to succeed are tied only to your ability to show up on time, this is not the place for you. The culture demands your best every day.

7. "The place to be for intelligent/hungry professionals looking to positively impact younger generations' lives"

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Culture: Great people with really impressive/diverse education backgrounds, hungry to do their jobs at a high level but have a TON of fun while doing it
    -Management: Team of people that truly cares about your professional development and life outside of work - at the same time, they push you to reach your personal best as an employee
    -Type of work: Knowing that all aspects of your work go towards making a great experience for a kid during the summer or helping a high school athlete achieve their goal of playing in college makes this job INCREDIBLY fulfilling

Cons

-Summer vacation: Can't take a two-week trip to the beach in July like your friends (but we've all learned that late summer/early fall is a great time to travel)

8. "D.C.'s Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Talent & Legal Affairs in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Talent & Legal Affairs in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Headfirst Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headfirst is all about a team environment and every single person works hard to ensure that we are providing campers and seasonal team members alike with a summer they will never forget. The culture at Headfirst is infectiously positive as we work each and every day to inspire the personal best in young people and each other.

Cons

Long hours in the summer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. "Internship Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Good location, right off metro. Allows you to gain experience working with salesforce. The office is low key, no real dress code.

Cons

Monotonous work, low pay. A lot of the time you are dealing with sassy parents who don't know anything about what they want for their children.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns more. They do just as much work as the next guy. Include them in more interesting, engaging projects so that they can actually gain professional experience

10. "Swim Instructor"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Washington, DC

I worked at The Headfirst Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

The connection and support between HQ and the on-site staff was great. I felt a lot of energy and enthusiasm all around when I came to work and felt that HQ and my Site Leader were very receptive of any issues I had.

Cons

The only con would be when staff members don't pull through, those who were present would pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

11. "Transportation Coordinator"

Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at The Headfirst Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salaried pay.
    Leadership role experience.

Cons

Longer total work hours.
    Lack of communication to the coordinators.

Advice to Management

Communicate changes in ridership directly to the Transportation Coordinators more consistently.