The Hershey Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Hershey Company President and Chief Executive Officer Michele Buck
Michele Buck

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance was difficult (in 35 reviews)

• You have to be willing to relocate every 18-24 months to move up in the company (in 7 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Hershey Company (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Moulding Operator"

Former Employee - Moulding Operator in Hazleton, PA
    Former Employee - Moulding Operator in Hazleton, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits aren't all that bad.

Cons

Work work work. There is no place for advancement unless your a favorite. Overworked and treated like crap from higher ups..management doesn't care about employees and union Doesn't help anyone either. All they want is their pockets lined heavy and thick. Also don't think about getting sick because they will look for reasons to fire you.

Advice to Management

Close the doors and put a padlock on that sh*t.

3. "Senior Research Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Iconic brands, socially responsible company, competitive compensation and benefits, career development opportunities

Cons

Lean staffing in several departments, around the clock work culture

Advice to Management

reduce quantity of after hours emails

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Brands and great heritage. Compensation package is competitive with other CPG companies. Hershey is a great place to raise a family, but challenging for single employees.

Cons

Hershey has evolved over the past several years from a company that was a great place to work to an environment that is unproductive, unfocused and in a downward spiral. They recruit new employees and state that there is work/life balance -- that is absolutely not true. There is work and then rework because senior leaders don't know what they want and how to achieve sustainable growth. Employees live in fear for their jobs while strong performers with institutional knowledge are being downsized or managed out. I used to be proud to say I worked for The Hershey Company, but am glad I was able to choose to leave and have no regrets.

Advice to Management

Get focused on driving organic growth and stop the "spinning". Reward employees that challenge the status quo and think outside of the box. Change is needed at the top --

"Be Aware!"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY

I worked at The Hershey Company part-time

Pros

Time off
    Tasting the different chocolates

Cons

Supervisors are little to no help even when overwhelmed
    Low hours
    Low pay especially for the amount of hours given
    No teamwork

Advice to Management

Be aware of the type of people you hire especially for managerial roles. Hire team oriented people that are willing to actually help the employees. Overnight should be compensated more for the amount of work and the little amount of hours given.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All my colleagues throughout my internship at the home office and in my full time position as an RSR were outstanding - they helped train you well and were extremely patient - absolutely loved the two managers I had during my time there

Cons

You can only really be successful at the company if you're willing to relocate cities every 18-24 months

Advice to Management

Take away the mandatory relocation - you lose out on a lot of great talent and people who truly love the company

"Always Cleaning House"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits even for part time workers

Cons

Always changing performance evaluations do not fit certain job titles

Advice to Management

Make sure your performance reviews match up to the job the person is doing. Not everyone is supporting the top level executive. Some people actually do the work to make other people look good

8. "Great Place to learn!"

Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Hershey, PA

I have been working at The Hershey Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a willingness to teach anyone different things. They are very organized. Scheduling is easy to use and easy to request off.

Cons

A lot of young kids so not too much dedication to their jobs.

"This is company that clearly doesn't care about their employee. Be careful."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at The Hershey Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours. Sample candy, iPod mini equipment-Hershey spent the money to make sure their people in the field had quality equipment. Part of the interviewing process really helps you know what you're getting yourself into with sales accounts. So if you find that the position isn't something you would like you can walk away. This is helpful to both potential employee and the company.

Cons

Not always truthful, very paranoid of lawsuits, this is not the family environment you would think from selling candy. Be very very careful with this company.

Advice to Management

Try standing behind your employees when unavoidable things happen. Try working with an employee instead of closing all communication. It might be nice to be truthful starting at the interview process.

"Territory covers a lot of geography, comes with many pre-existing problems,"

Former Employee - RSM in Georgia, AL
    Former Employee - RSM in Georgia, AL

I worked at The Hershey Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part-time workers get good benefits including paid vacation time, Holidays, personal days, mileage reimbursement, company 401K participation. Be aware there are no promotions to full time from the part-time RSM position. This is strictly a part-time position and your are limited to 20 hours per week unless you get permission in advance from your manager. Must be comfortable making high pressure, single call sales closings. Management is obsessed with sales and does not demonstrate a lot of customer care. Here is the "Pro": a lot of management jobs are usually short term, around 24 months so a difficult manager will likely get promoted up to their next higher level of dysfunction sometime pretty quickly. You can always hope your next manager will be a "team builder", not a "team ruler".

Cons

This reflects only my experiences with a very self-centered manager with a grudge against me. I do think Hershey’s is a great company, offering generous benefits for part timers. Unfortunately, you can sometimes end up with a toxic manager who has the ability to make your work life miserable, stressful, and who can set your sales goals to impossible- to- achieve levels, just because they are your boss and because they can. My manager followed after a terrific manager got relocated with a nice promotion. The new manager inherited a highly productive team , mostly mature and experienced people. The team knows what they are doing. The team led the country in many sales categories but quickly dropped down to last place in many of those same categories under the new manager. This team does not require, or expect to be micro-managed by a new, inexperienced manager who thinks they know everything about everything. In reality, what they don’t know, is what they don’t know. After all, your manager may have a little over a year working with c-stores, while some team members have 20-30 years on the job. The big shoes the predecessor left behind to fill became combat boots in the new manager's mind. This job is primarily sales, regardless of what the job description says. You sell contracts, new products and shipper promotions, then call back on the stores to check on their compliance and sell more. A very high percentage of independent store owners in my territory spoke English as their second language, which presents unique communication challenges, adding complexity to an already stressful job. As long as you don't mind over-selling to these independents, you can do fine. I am old-school and worked diligently to build long term, trusted relationships, which aligns with Hershey core values. My predecessor in the same territory just got fed up with the intense stress one day and walked off the job without giving notice. When I took over, I inherited a territory mess of problems. By the time a new rep gets hired for the territory, gets trained, and starts making calls, most of those relationships are be long-gone. It will probably take at least another year or more to build them back. So, be prepared to get blessed out in a lot of foreign languages by unhappy customers who did not receive expected rebate checks because Hershey over-promised, then under-performed with 2016 contracts. Your 20 hour per week, part-time job actually takes much more time to do than the company is willing to pay you to do. And, you still won't have time to do everything you have been told is a priority for as many as 200+ stores. Eventually you get used to working off the clock on admin work and doing you next day planning sitting front of your TV every night. Managers know it goes on, and they choose to enforce the policy against working off the clock very selectively. Expect never getting answers to questions and being lied to pretty regularly. This manager refused to deal with customers’ problems, knowing if the problems just get kicked down the road, they eventually become someone else’s problems. I documented every request for assistance I emailed for assistance. Asking questions or attempting to advocate for a customer is not in your job description and is frowned upon. Little things, like simply changing the name of a store, took 13 months to get done, which was repeatedly blamed on everyone but my manager who refused to do any follow up. When I would be told I had never reported a problem, I'd just send copies of my first 3,4,or 5 emails, which would got my manager raving mad. I would have escalated issues up a level to my manager's manager, but because their relationship is inappropriately close, the escalation path is shut down. Rules and company policies are selectively enforced depending on who you are and whether or your manager likes you. In a final act of totally class-less harassment targeting me, this manager went out of way to snail mail me a birthday card for my 65th birthday and exactly one week later, at what I was told told me was going to be my annual review, was gleefully read my termination letter, while manage' manager sat there for added support and to pile on some intimidation. It’s a great job when you have a good manager. Under my second manager, I was pushed to the limits of my personal values, and I don't claim to be a Saint. I admit I had problems with a dysfunctional distributor who simply would not make any attempt to deliver or set up racks ordered by customers. I know I angered some customers because I could not, as an RSM, resolve their problems. Without your manager's assistance, there is not a lot an RSM can do to straighten out the kinds of problems I encountered. If a manager is only interested in self promotion, and you need help, your relationship with your manager is strained. I will put up my 50+ years of sales, management and marketing experience against my manager's couple of years, anytime. My manager was a one person wrecking crew in my territory, with all the warmth of a block of dry ice. Five of my highest volume customers insisted I never bring my manager back again after a first visit. The manager of a small chain told me he refused to even sit in the same room with with my manager. The Hershey Company should be ashamed for allowing such an immature, mean spirited person to be entrusted with supervising others. My manager actually bragged about getting a psychiatrist to write a letter saying the manager needs to travel with a service dog. With that note, you can certify your pet is your service dog and hotels are required to allow service dogs to stay in their rooms. Either the need was an outright lie, or the manager must actually suffer with emotional challenges. Either way, Hershey should be questioning this person's abilities as a leader becaused of compromised judgement.

Advice to Management

Step away from the computer screens and metrics long enough to go out into the field and talk/listen to some customers. Many of your c-store customers are tired of high pressure sales for contracts, promotions, and the endless new products. Understand that customers are not just going to allow reps to turn their stores upside down so competitors' products can be pulled to make more room for new Hershey products that seem to fall out of the sky every month. Stop tinkering with successful sales channels. Please recognize RSM's already have built relationships with their customers and they are the best thing going to sell in new items, including snacks. If you don't want to allow them more hours, hire more RSM's and reduce the number of stores per territory, not to make the RSM job easier, but to assure best customer service. Customers don't like constant change and you can't build "customers for life" by sending in strangers you contract out to do your selling. And please stop letting so many different levels of managers declare what the priorities du jour are going to be. Everything can't be your main priority. The 2016 Contract rollout was a train wreck and customers who did not receive racks or product they contracted for, get angry when they did not qualify for the rebates they expected, through no fault of their own. It's time to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for messing with these customers' lively-hoods. I won't miss trying to sell 2018 contracts this year because as my manager told me, "we have no assurances the 2017 rollout will be any better than last year's". Try running that one by the KDM's as you ask them to sign inside the little box. Finally, when a DSM has the authority to have 85 boxes of perfectly good, brand new racks picked up from my warehouse and sent to a landfill, this District might just be a little broken and in need of some higher management/adult supervision.