The Hershey Company Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Michele Buck
  1. "good company"

Retail Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Hershey Company for more than 5 years

Pros

flexibility and ability to make your own schedule

Cons

you cannot get promoted unless you plan to move any where nationally

The Hershey Company2018-07-09

"Area Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide you with a lot of great selling tools for in the field

Cons

They pick favorites, if you have a good manager then your job will be so much better. Not all managers are willing to work with you

Advice to Management

Don't be so tough on your employees. Provide more motivation to sales team- there is no commission involved

The Hershey Company2018-06-16
  3. "Solid Company & Great Training"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great sales Training -Great benefits -Entrepreneurial mindset

Cons

-Long hours -Salary is weak -Job description isn't very accurate

Advice to Management

-More shadowing -More training -Define role better as it relates to working with business partners

The Hershey Company2018-02-27
  4. "Retail Sales Representative Intern"

Current Intern - Retail Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Hershey Company for more than a year

Pros

A very reputable company! I love how well my team works together although we don't have a typical office environment. I have loved my internship so far!

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

The Hershey Company2018-02-06

"Former Retail Sales Representative (RSR)"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time

Pros

Gave an overall three-star rating as I believe there are many things the company does exceedingly well and some key areas (simple to fix) where it doesn't. Let me explain in the sections below. Also, keep in mind, I want to warn people of what they are getting themselves into in this role and how certain aspects were bad for me, personally, but may be great for you! It all depends on your personality. Having... said this: -Company takes VERY good care of their employees with excellent benefits across the board, amount of vacation time, company paid lunches out when working in the field with your boss or other mentors, etc. -Pretty good work-life balance, especially when it comes to Christmas time (company takes a breather and you get lots of time to go home and spend the holidays with family). -Company tends to hire very friendly people who kindly and warmly welcome you into the organization.

Cons

Regarding this particular role: -Retail Sales Representative (RSR) role is inherently isolating - of course, you build relationships with your key decision makers at your stores, but you are fundamentally out in your car by yourself the vast majority of the days (some are with your boss or mentors) and otherwise only meet with your colleagues in your district once a month (maximum) for a 2-day meeting. This was... a con for me personally, but of course is not a con for those who are very independent and enjoy that type of work. -This is another one that is a con for me personally (but may definitely be a pro for others) - expect to frequently relocate across the country in order to start and advance your career in the sales side of the company. The company wants you to experience/learn different markets, so be aware of and prepared for this aspect as well. -The role and duties of it is very vague and up to interpretation. For example, one mentor may tell you how best to do things, then another may contradict that in some way or ways. This leaves people in this role rather confused. -This role is also (once you learn the job and get past the confusion stage) hard to understand from a return on investment perspective from the company's standpoint (their investment in you in this role and their respective return). When asked, everyone above me either did not have an answer to that question or shied away from it. Regarding the company as a whole: -A lot of wasteful spending regarding sales materials (most RSRs often received much more than was needed) and were not kept for any potential re-use, but simply thrown away. As the company has no recycling program, if you will, for its sales team and many RSRs are young grads who live in apartment complexes with no recycling pick-up, the sales materials (mostly cardboard) literally end up in landfills (rather than, at least, recycled)! -It is encouraged for you to reach out to anyone in your district if you have questions as you are learning the role, but you are very discouraged and often times not allowed to ask questions (even just via email) to anyone in the company above your boss. I understand that people are very busy and want a smooth flow of information, but I believe that it would be of great benefit to new employees in the role to be allowed to ask key questions here and there (for example - What is the main strategic purpose of my job? How can I align my daily activities to give the best return on the company's investment in me?) to those people since, as stated above, you likely won't get answers from your immediate circle of contacts/people in your district.

Advice to Management

-Thank you, and continue to treat your employees well in the ways stated above. -Having said this - an important (if not the most important), additional way to treat RSRs well (which is also free!) would be to objectively share and explain how, as an employee, you are actually helping the company in your role and how best you can increase your true value (again, from a company's return on investment in you, the... employee, standpoint). THAT is what will motivate your RSRs. Not useless platitudes and over-the-top, meaningless, almost propaganda-type rhetoric. -Try to better plan to have less excess sales materials, and make better use of or better plan the destination for (from an environmental perspective, as stated above) any excess sales materials. This would save the company a lot of money easily and for those excess items that cant be used in any way, recycle them! It can be used as part of a way of building a reputation as an environmentally friendly company (as I know sustainability, especially regarding cocoa, is important to Hershey - it would align with that message).

The Hershey Company2017-11-07
  6. "Great Company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, compensation, incentives, etc work life balance fun brands great upward mobility

Cons

nothing that is no manageable

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

The Hershey Company2017-11-10

"Sales rep"

Sales Representative in Portland, ME

I worked at The Hershey Company for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and Salary. Great job for someone who has just graduated from collage.

Cons

Once upon a time the best place to work!! They changed to the philosophy Move up or move them out! Extreme micro managing!! They took away the great bonuses they would reward you with for exceeding your goals. They became a very greedy company.

Advice to Management

Hire Managers with experience and promote within.

The Hershey Company2017-11-18

"Excellent company to work for! Hersheys gives back to several charitable organizations as well."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hersheys has a Great work/life balance with my family. They give you the option to work weekends. It's not required.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you relocate. mostly out of state. Makes it hard if you have a split family

Advice to Management

Continue to be open minded and innovative

The Hershey Company2017-11-01

"Retail Sales Representative review"

Retail Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The Hershey Company for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for a first job out of college, good benefits and 401k plan

Cons

Like everyone else has said before you're basically merchandising in Walmarts all day- go look at any huge display in a store and that's what you'll be responsible for building and merchandising in the stores each week. Expected to work 50+ hours a week- this meant for me leaving the house around 6am and getting home around 5:30. You're not paid for driving so this would come out to about 9 hours of pay for 11.5... hours of work. I was based in the southeast and my average drive time was about 3 hours and about 150 miles a day. Really anything else about management having high expectations that are impossible to meet, not supportive, etc. are all exactly what you'd expect. VERY hard to get promoted without having an internship with the company beforehand and nepotism/favoritism is really bad here. The annual bonus system is so complicated to figure out and as a sales rep you have no direct impact on how much you'll get paid out. The signing bonus you get at the beginning has to be paid back too if you leave before 2 years.

Advice to Management

You really need to review how you view the RSR role and look at it as more of a merchandiser/vendor role like its really become in recent years. Change the company culture by not playing favorites and provide more opportunities to promote the RSRs to combat the very high turnover you already have.

The Hershey Company2017-10-20

"Retail Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, not micro-managed, and a lot of benefits( corporate car, credit card, medical benefits). Great first job for people straight out of college plus Hershey looks great on your resume.

Cons

A LOT of merchandising!! You spend a majority of your time in Walmart supercenters stocking shelves and chasing around store managers who don't want to work with you and can make your job way harder than what it has to be. Work life balance is difficult during busy seasons like Halloween and Easter. During those times you're working 50+ hour weeks and required to work Saturdays. Also you regularly work 47.5 hours a... week so work life balance is always tough. It can be really demeaning work sometimes so you definitely have to check your ego at the door.

Advice to Management

More training would be helpful especially since you're working by yourself most of the time. Also adding more reps so the territories aren't so big.

The Hershey Company2017-09-08