The Hill Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at The Hill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, professional development, fair compensation:

After my first year I found the freedom and responsibility given to young employees to be rewarding. The company is willing to spend money on professional development and training for their employees which I found to be beneficial for performance. I also felt that my compensation was fair given my role in the organization. The company’s desire to use technology, constantly improve procedures, and push themselves to become better is impressive and a testament as to why they’ve been operating for 80+ years. I was able to grow a lot here and appreciate the time I spent with the company and the individuals within it.

Cons

Employee sentiment, which was negative my first year, improved a lot over my time with the company. No other cons that I felt were specific to the company.

Advice to Management

I strongly recommend finding a way to leverage all divisions to grow the company. That may sound obvious on the surface, but the lack of promotion of, say service, by construction post- project completion is alarming.

Jan 11, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for the feedback!

"From a Service Prospective"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Franklin Park, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Franklin Park, IL

I have been working at The Hill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hill is safety oriented and it truly is one of our first priorities. In our staff you can find some extremely knowledgeable people to assist you in finding your way and to help make the best decisions. Hill does a great job at providing training outside of the office and encourages you to obtain as many certifications as you desire.

Cons

From my perspective the service division has a backwards priority list. The number one priority in the service division is the profit we make on our jobs. From a three hour work order up to a several month project the bottom line is what you are judged on. The number two priority is the customers, The customers need to be happy all the time - every hour of every day with every tiny detailed piece of paperwork that goes along with it. Third on the list is unfortunately safety. Hill puts on a good facade for safety and overall they do a great job. The only two times when I have seen safety jeopardized is when it affects the profit of a large job or when it makes a loyal client unhappy.
    Regarding work/life balance I never imagined that a job / career could affect my social life in such a negative way. The long hours and the Go! Go! Go! mentality every single day drains you very quickly. Even vacation days (days which are supposed to be a complete mental break from the day to day stresses) are stressful!
    Be careful of burnout. Working long hours and sprinting every day to get things done is a dangerous road. At first you may seem like you can keep up and handle it, but you can't. Looking around Hill I see several young employees looking to prove themselves and also several others who have put in time and are burnt out. Maybe the burnout problem is what is leading to Hill's high turnover rate?

Advice to Management

I urge management to realize that each individual working for this company has a life outside of work. After you admit that there is a problem with turnover and burnout, I recommend setting up a committee of young employees to do something about it. I also recommend that management attend the Dale Carnegie "How to Engage Millennials" course. It may open their eyes so they can see some potential solutions.

Oct 30, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Safety is definitely one of Hill’s top priorities, along with our customers and making sure they are taken care of! This is truly what sets Hill apart from our... More

3. "Project Engineer Intern"

I worked at The Hill Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisor was proactive in making sure that I had daily assignments.

Cons

I DONT HAVE ANY CONS.

Oct 2, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

"Service and Construction are 2 different animals, and it shows."

I worked at The Hill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On the construction side safety is taken seriously. The apprentice even has say in safety. They bid work and are competitive and keep guys busy.

Cons

The Service division. Long hours, commissions promised never recieved. Some Salesmen sell stuff over the phone and make asinine promises to customers then berate you when you can't live up to the promise.

Advice to Management

Jim Hill is fantastic.
    Construction side is ran well.
    Service needs to realize that employees are people and have lives outside of making profits.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. As with any service company, we understand that our customers’ emergencies can happen at any time of day and that does make for some long hours at times. We do our best... More

"Great Company"

I have been working at The Hill Group full-time

Pros

Hill is a big company with a real family feel to it. They actually care about the people who are working there and will do their best to make peoples time working there a pleasant one. They have good room for growth in the company as long as you are willing to put the hard work and time in.

Cons

It is going to be tough work with some very long days but it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Aug 1, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback!

"Its fine"

I have been working at The Hill Group full-time

Pros

First job out of college. decent people

Cons

Low pay and compensation here.

Aug 1, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. As a current employee, we encourage you to have salary discussions with your supervisor or human resources. We would be happy to provide market data and a total comp... More

"Good Company With Big Payoff"

I have been working at The Hill Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Hill for over 10 years and went through the "program." I am also not related to anybody in the company. I can tell you that if you put in the work, you will be rewarded.

In addition, despite Hill's continuous growth into a larger "corporation" they have managed to maintain the family dynamic that was present when I first started.

Hill is a work hard/play hard type of company, is very loyal to its employees, and offers tremendous compensation to those who earn it.

If you work hard, you will be set for life.

Cons

Like I said above, it is work hard/play hard. You have to be willing to put in the time.

That could include taking your laptop and cell phone on vacation and answering a few emails each day to ensure your customers are happy. But in reality, its not that intrusive.

Due to the nature of the work, it is hard to remove yourself completely for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the family atmosphere.

Communicate your vision of the company in the future and how everyone can contribute in obtaining that goal.

8. "Hill Mechanical provided me exactly what they said they would. Former Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at The Hill Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded. As I developed a new skill set, the Hill Mechanical Service team provided ample opportunity for growth and new account challenges. I was rewarded with a solid account base and a terrific bonus plan.

The customer comes first. As long as you provide good reason, you are allowed the latitude to make decisions for longterm account growth. As most sales professionals will attest, the bonus plan doesn't mean much if you are not proud of what you are doing. Hill strives to make things right for their customers.

The Hill Group enjoys a fantastic reputation. It was a tremendous learning experience for me and I continue to reap the benefits of having worked there.

Cons

You will work hard. You will be rewarded, but it is not a cakewalk. When I was there, the Account Executive was responsible for smaller project management as well as the sales side of account management. This might not be a con for people with more mechanical aptitude.

Advice to Management

The employee events provided a really nice way to get to know the people behind the work orders.

"Sheet Metal Worker"

Current Employee - Sheet Metal Apprentice in Maywood, IL
    Current Employee - Sheet Metal Apprentice in Maywood, IL

I have been working at The Hill Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and people to work. Top management is very open to speaking with you when problems arise.

Cons

Too many people worried about others than themselves. Threats of losing your job over uncontrolled situations.

"not for everyone"

I worked at The Hill Group full-time

Pros

Hill has a decent reputation in the construction industry. There are a lot of hard working people in the office and field.

Cons

The organization is set up in self-serving silos. Nobody really cares about anything other than if there is money or power in it for them.