The Hindu Business Line Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "research analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chennai (India)

I have been working at The Hindu Business Line full-time

Pros

good employer and good learning

Cons

no problem to give this

Advice to Management

good work and good profile

2. "Wonderful workplace, undone by HR policies"

I worked at The Hindu Business Line full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn, with plenty of freedom to explore new things. There's plenty of give and take between both seniors and teammates, and its a cheerful and informal work environment. Enough flexibility with work timings too.

Cons

There is no proper appraisal system, nor is it carried out regularly. No equality in pay between similar work profiles either. The HR department does not welcome questions, doesn't offer satisfactory explanations, and doesn't consider suggestions.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly what policies are

"Blatant Bias!"

Former Employee - Director in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Director in New Delhi (India)

I worked at The Hindu Business Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The beauty and purity of what was is being lost. The Hindu Business Line still has some great journalism, however far and few between

Cons

The gumption and blatancy of some of their journalists to have biasis that seem to be going unchecked. I was a 16 year long standing UB employee. As we all know what was isnt. I still believe that UB has potential to grow however with a lot of renewed investment. Journalists like K Giriprakash seem to have lost their perspective and deny the impact of the lives of employees that UB is having. Giri, where is that unbiased true journalist I met in the early years.

Advice to Management

Try and steer away, or at least have a balanced view on some of the corporate house you seem to dote on

5. "good one"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The Hindu Business Line as an intern

Pros

nice food served at canteen :P

Cons

nothing much except for parking lots!

"ZERO work life balance, ZERO autonomy, ZERO family time"

Current Employee - Journalist
    Current Employee - Journalist

Pros

It's a salary, and unlike other Indian publications they provide air conditioning and basic office cleanliness, and hook you up with a decent, affordable lunch.

Cons

Zero work life balance and not family friendly! 6 day work week, 8-10 hours a day- however at least 75% of the job could be done from elsewhere but The Hindu forces you to sit in the office for no reason other than to destroy your life.

I never spend any time with my spouse and family because the company babus think I should be married to THEM and devote my entire life to their paper! Their attitude is The Hindu FIRST and family LAST- and you can just forget about having any hobbies, fitness regimes or spiritual retreats because they will never allow you time for such things.

Also they treat us like stupid children and there is unnecessary nagging. Instead of directly disciplining lazy people who refuse to do their jobs, they punish everyone equally. They won't address one or two people with bad work habits, instead they send out nagging emails to everyone- including competent people.

Then there is ridiculous, time gobbling bureaucracy! Again, instead of disciplining the non-performers and incompetents, they force EVERYONE to submit these childish Work In Progress forms listing every single person you've contacted, etc. etc. etc. and they are insanely obsessive about these stupid forms! This is a waste of time, it interferes with us actually doing the JOB we were hired to do!

Add to that, there's the great ego wars between management- those of us who must answer to them get caught in the crossfire. If you follow the instructions of one, the other will call you at all hours- even on your ONE day off- asking why you followed the other's instructions!

What else, oh yes! The company's patriarchs have yet to understand that we live in the 21st century, not the 19th century. The modern journalist needs mobility and autonomy to get the job done, but evidently this is perceived as frivolous. Instead of replacing the ancient desk tops with lap tops, they bought more desk tops! Top it off with an equally antiquated email system that ensures everyone is chained to the desks, because it can only be accessed from the office! Neither will they invest in decent internet service, it's like using dial up- and there's no wireless connection either!

There is also no opportunity for advancement. Merit means nothing, only seniority and politics, so there's no respect or growth opportunity for anyone under 45. You literally have to wait for somone to succumb to geriatric senility and incontinence (or death) in order to get promoted.

Ah yes, and the failure during the hiring process to tell you EXACTLY what will be expected of you once you start! Expect to be hauled up for producing what you were told to produce! This relates directly to the ego wars between superiors. If one perceives you as a threat to his position, he will prohibit you from doing your best so that the other superiors perceive you as incompetent!

These things cause unnecessary stress, squash employee morale and greatly hinder productivity.

Advice to Management

Let us work from home! We should be left alone to do our jobs in our own individual ways. Discipline or sack the non-performers, but leave the rest of us ALONE.

You have no right to deprive us of our families and personal lives, you don't own us. There is no amount of money that can replace our spouses and families, nothing you can pay us to abandon them, so STOP expecting us to sacrifice them for YOU.

By forcing us to sit under unnecessary observation for 6 days a week, you infringe upon our personal lives and stress us out, thus hindering productivity.

Stop nagging! Get rid of these absurd WIP forms! Address problems on an individual basis and stop punishing everyone for the failures of a few under-performers.

Embrace technology and make some effort to accept the fact that we live in the 21st century! Adapt to it and start thinking and acting progressively for once. Make the necessary technological and policy changes that enable journalists to become fully mobile. If you want us to record anything, then you should be prepared to provide the necessary devices or provide compensation for out of pocket purchases of such devices.

End these ridiculous ego wars! Whatever is going on between certain "people in charge" needs to be contained because, like sewage, it's running downhill! If these children can't play nicely with each other then perhaps it's time to restructure- make a choice, do you want bureau chiefs or department heads? Evidently you can't have both and expect there to be harmony in the heirarchy.

Stop using age, seniority and politics as appraisal criteria! Allow people under 45 years of age to receive promotions and pay hikes based on integrity and performance!

Make some effort to understand the link between job satisfaction and job performance! Happy, relaxed employees are productive, loyal employees!