The Home Depot Reviews in Albany, NY | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

1. "Decent Community"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Albany, NY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, and generous vacation time for part time employees, family/adoption assistance, discounts to other well-known businesses. They have this thing called the Homer Fund, that you can donate to every paycheck if you choose (even a dollar or two), which is saved up and used in extreme instances for people who work right in the store. For instance, if someone is in a bad accident or has some type of medical issue, it might be used to help with medical costs. It's really great to know that the money will be used for someone you might know, when they really need it the most. I think it helps build the community atmosphere within the store as well.

Cons

Like any large company, there are times when it can feel less personal, but management was usually understanding if there were any issues outside of work. While most of the dress code I understand, t-shirts are not permitted, even when you're outside in garden when it's 90 degrees out (but they're good about rotating out and keeping everyone hydrated).

Advice to Management

It would have been nice to be able to schedule a little later. Weekends you have to request almost three weeks out.

"Are they really Taking care of the associates"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with different fellow coworkers

Cons

Smokey mirror not helping the associate

Advice to Management

Each year we make billions in proffit Corporate needs to take some of the billions made each year and give 1000 longevity (20) yrs and over veterans and give them 1 million dollars as a thx u for ur services enjoy life cause pounding on concrete and getting beat up take a toll on ur health instead of corporate giving each other 14k shareso of the HD stock been there when blank was ceo Nardeli was a joke was all about him 210 million dollar buy out Blake rotated stock with corporate as well directors got 294000 share of stock home depot all about money the longivty associated get that but not getting there fair value share corporate disconnect, trust me u start retiring associatespecially you'll have happy associates again and wanting to do right not a bonus check with 45 dollars after taxes does do justice I have more but will see were this goes

"Awful place to work. No sense of consideration for employees."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist Flooring in Albany, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here.

Cons

Everything about home depot is negitive.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat employees.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can be fun. Lots to learn. Many nice employees.

Cons

Never enough staff to meet corporate goals. Management games. Protect their buddy's who do not perform. Screw over other hard working people. All politics. Corporate does their best to try to make employees feel that they are valued, Dumps them for the smallest reason.

Advice to Management

Get management who really has an interest in the human side. Mentor, train properly and stop simply looking for excuses to beat people up.

"Corporate Retail"

Current Employee - Tool Rental Sales Associate in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Tool Rental Sales Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Success sharing - if you work at a large, successful store, you get a check twice a year. My store's check was rather small though, so it varies.
    Learn about construction and home improvement - I've learned a good deal about things from flooring to paint to heavy power tools.
    Homer awards - management gives awards which incrementally result in cash bonuses to your paycheck.

Cons

As with any corporation, you have to be extremely careful to follow every rule, and there is usually an overly complicated process for everything.

Advice to Management

Try to be more fair in recognizing employees - I've gone above and beyond many, many times, and only been recognized for it once. Other employees, meanwhile, get awards for something as small as cleaning the breakroom.

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Albany, NY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really cares about their employees and customers. I worked there as a cashier while I was a student, and they were so flexible with my schedule. They gave everyone a gift during the holidays, and had a monthly opportunity to win a prize or prizes (at least for the cashiers).

Cons

As with any retail position, sometimes you have to deal with unhappy or difficult customers. The job requires you to be on your feet. The biggest complaint I have is that a number of the other associates treated it as a crappy job that they didn't care about, when it really was a pleasant experience, and I wish they could have felt the same.

Advice to Management

Management at my store was great! Training could be improved. It was long and mostly computer-based. There wasn't enough actual on the floor training.

"Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Albany, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rarely nothing to do.
    For the most part, co-workers are friendly and fun to work with.
    Some independence, can work at your own pace most of the time, a little freedom to move around.

Cons

A lot of the male employees like to make inappropriate comments towards me.
    Some customers are condescending and will accept what a male employee advises them when it mirrors what you said.
    We're understaffed a lot, so you get screwed with overworking. Not really sure if it's worth my time to ask about continuing part-time. The hours are dwindling.

Advice to Management

I have a boyfriend, stop asking me out.
    Weed out the lazy workers and reward the people who work hard.

"Department Head"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Albany, NY

Pros

Ability to help people to complete personal projects.

Cons

Chronic staffing issues prevent positive work/life balance.

"Good Environment, Poor Pay"

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Albany, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

The Work environment at Home Depot is very friendly and professional. They take care of their people, and are very big on safety. The managers are very respectful and understanding, depending on supervisors.

Cons

Despite them having a good working environment for their employees, their rate of pay is less than desirable. They have had a consistent high turn over rate for their overnight freight team going on Six years now since our current store manager. A big reason is because of the hard work we do and tough hours we work (9pm to 530 am) not balancing out with the low amount we are paid FOR that hard work. Other similar jobs in different less reputable companies often pay more than what the freight team is being paid at The Home Depot. Another Con is their lock down. When they get their registers ready for the work day, they shut the building down, and no one can leave, even if your clocked out, you have to sit and wait sometimes up to 15 minutes or more until they end lock down.

Advice to Management

They should work to add an employee entrance and exit, so employees are not trapped in and waiting when they are off the clock for them to open the doors. And Consider competing with other Retail companies base rate of pay, it will help to lessen turnover rate.

"If you know how to work hard is a great place"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Albany, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to get promoted if you want it
    Fun activities at my store for associates
    It is what you make it some people hate it some love it i loved working there it was a good experience

Cons

Department supervisor is a stressful job a lot asked of you I don't believe pay matched responsibility level
    Need to hold non working associates accountable
    More specific training needed for new associates

Advice to Management

Pay is ok but could be much better esp. For supervisors a lot is asked of them.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 21, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

Showing 11 of 16,237 reviews