The Home Depot Reviews in Anchorage, AK | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 445 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 798 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people best benefits work place are good

Cons

None work as a team

2. "Customer Service, Sales"

Current Employee - Service Desk, Project Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Service Desk, Project Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training in products and safety.

Cons

Depending on the particular store's management you can have a professional team or not. I requested for an immediate transfer out of a bad store. It took almost 4 months.

Advice to Management

When there's a re-occurring issue, it is a clear reflection on the lack of action and resolve on management's part, which creates an insidious, unsafe and toxic work environment.

3. "Kitchen and Bath Designer"

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Anchorage, AK

Pros

The Home Depot provides training, the hours are dependable from week to week , the pay is fair. The Dental and Health Insurance is reasonably priced. The Co workers who stick around for the most part are wonderful and hard working.

Cons

Kitchen and Bath Designers are constantly being pulled away from their desks to help people in other departments, they are also expected to pull stock cabinet orders when an order puller is not present. Designers are held to weekly sales goals, if you don't meet them consistently you will be demoted to another department. To make up the short weeks some Designers sell what ever they can - plywood, pellets anything. The job is stressful.

Advice to Management

It is of no use - management would not care - this being true at all levels.

"Big talk, little follow through"

Former Employee - Bay Integrity Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Bay Integrity Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of one-on-one time with team leads, department managers, and sr management. Every position is valued and appreciated. Sr management takes great pains to make sure everyone is rewarded for good behavior.

Cons

Granted this could have been my specific store, however, since they implemented a program where rewards are based off of what other associates say/think of you, punishment is handled in much the same manner. This created a negative "big brother is watching" sort of enviroment. They would also do three month checkups, and if you are not behaving up to standards they could give you another three months to improve or you're out. There will be no hinting or implication that you are not performing up to standards until they hit you with a "PIP" (productivity improvement plan) when that time came around my store, over 75% of the employees were hit with one and no one was safe. Senior management, HR assistants, department managers. They promise promotions and increased hours without any ability to implement follow-through.

Advice to Management

Kill the "he said she said" nonesense.

5. "home depot"

Former Intern - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Former Intern - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at The Home Depot as an intern

Pros

it helps you to improve your way connecting to other people by simply helping them what they need.

Cons

some people or costumers just being rude but its alright its part of the job to treat them right and give the best costumer service they need.

Advice to Management

be more attentive

"Be careful."

Current Employee - Cashier in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, reasonable working with a full time student's schedule, and working when it comes down to the grind.

Cons

Always understaffed, not fair on getting time off- not being approved till a week or two before vacation, managers not the best at communication, customer is always right to the end that assciocates are sometimes treated unfairly, not keep associates that have been with them for a awhile up to the same rates as those that they hired recently, and favoritism is common.

Advice to Management

The customer is not always right if someone is not treated right you should actually answering the phone, their phone, also you should be walking the floor to resolve these issues.

Nov 18, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

7. "Warehouse/ Stocker"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly enviornment and excellent customer service

Cons

no cons just looking for full time position

Jul 21, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

8. "Solid job, great company, encouraging outlook"

Current Employee - Nightshift Freight Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Nightshift Freight Associate in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my day to day operations but having a flexible schedule that Home Depot works with is great.

Cons

I haven't noticed any cons at Home Depot, if anything, lengthy initial computer training

Advice to Management

it would be interesting to gain knowledge of career opportunities within Home Depot during orientation

Mar 24, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all... More

9. "Department Supervisor- Manager In Training Program"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with great values that truly values employees

Cons

It would have been nice to have a little more negotiation power, but other than that good. Overall, i liked the hiring process. I felt very valued and appreciated for my experience.

Advice to Management

None

Sep 20, 2013 – Client Partner

10. "Upper management lack of respect. Pay doesn't meet job expectations"

Former Employee - Sales in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Sales in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Nice hard working people work there

Cons

Unrealistic job expectations for hourly associates. Upper management pile on work but the hours allowed to do the work is limited. Schedules are so random with split days off weekly, along with closing late one night, then having to open the next morning.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple pay associates what their worth instead of bragging that the company has over 2 billion dollars in a bank account! Success pay should be more of a commissioned level for the associates who work the hardest and sell more receive more!

Showing 11 of 15,941 reviews