The Home Depot Reviews in Anchorage, AK | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
  1. "Sales Associate"

in Anchorage, AK

I worked at The Home Depot for more than a year

Pros

Learned a great deal about hardware, flooring and decor

Cons

Honestly I really enjoyed the job and everyone I worked with, The reason I left was to attend school.

Advice to Management

Keep employees up to date with heaving equipment training.

The Home Depot2018-11-13

"Frustrating Position"

Former Employee - MET Supervisor in Anchorage, AK

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great role, and has actual impact on the daily success of the store, and each and every associate and customer within.

Cons

In Alaska, logistics are much different than in the lower 48. Leadership does not factor that and the business model is based on every other store, coming out of Atlanta. Then you are held personally accountable when the square peg does not fit in the round hole.

Advice to Management

Accept that individuals truly are doing their best, and sometimes, outside the box is not a bad thought avenue. and by the way - rainbows are not for everyone!

The Home Depot2019-08-23
  3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people best benefits work place are good

Cons

None work as a team

The Home Depot2017-03-14

"Kitchen and Bath Designer"

Kitchen and Bath Designer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

The Home Depot provides training, the hours are dependable from week to week , the pay is fair. The Dental and Health Insurance is reasonably priced. The Co workers who stick around for the most part are wonderful and hard working.

Cons

Kitchen and Bath Designers are constantly being pulled away from their desks to help people in other departments, they are also expected to pull stock cabinet orders when an order puller is not present. Designers are held to weekly sales goals, if you don't meet them consistently you will be demoted to another department. To make up the short weeks some Designers sell what ever they can - plywood, pellets anything.... The job is stressful.

Advice to Management

It is of no use - management would not care - this being true at all levels.

The Home Depot2016-11-16
  5. "Tool Rental Sales Associate"

Tool Rental Sales Associate in Eagle River, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule for college students

Cons

Not enough hours even with open availability

The Home Depot2016-08-12

"Big talk, little follow through"

Former Employee - Bay Integrity Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of one-on-one time with team leads, department managers, and sr management. Every position is valued and appreciated. Sr management takes great pains to make sure everyone is rewarded for good behavior.

Cons

Granted this could have been my specific store, however, since they implemented a program where rewards are based off of what other associates say/think of you, punishment is handled in much the same manner. This created a negative "big brother is watching" sort of enviroment. They would also do three month checkups, and if you are not behaving up to standards they could give you another three months to improve or... you're out. There will be no hinting or implication that you are not performing up to standards until they hit you with a "PIP" (productivity improvement plan) when that time came around my store, over 75% of the employees were hit with one and no one was safe. Senior management, HR assistants, department managers. They promise promotions and increased hours without any ability to implement follow-through.

Advice to Management

Kill the "he said she said" nonesense.

The Home Depot2016-08-10

"Refreshing alignment"

Hardware Sales Associate in Wasilla, AK

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

The store was very well aligned with the teaching and training coming to employees from corporate Home Depot. We were told and trained what and how to do the job, and we were rewarded and recognized for doing it and doing it well. Management had the good of the employees in mind. The work environment was fun and friendly and coworkers were friends and not enemies.

Cons

It is still a retail job, with all the challenges that entails. Hours can come and go depending on sales and your experience is likely to be specific to your store and manager. In any job or company, a poor manager makes for a poor work experience and environment.

Advice to Management

Keep that solid alignment of what corporate says, what district says what the store manager says and the department managers say. When all of those things agree, employees have confidence in the company and their understanding of it. And they feel more secure in their jobs.

The Home Depot2016-06-11
  8. "home depot"

Former Intern - Sales Associate in Anchorage, AK

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

it helps you to improve your way connecting to other people by simply helping them what they need.

Cons

some people or costumers just being rude but its alright its part of the job to treat them right and give the best costumer service they need.

Advice to Management

be more attentive

The Home Depot2016-01-31

"Be careful."

Cashier in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot for more than a year

Pros

Fair pay, reasonable working with a full time student's schedule, and working when it comes down to the grind.

Cons

Always understaffed, not fair on getting time off- not being approved till a week or two before vacation, managers not the best at communication, customer is always right to the end that assciocates are sometimes treated unfairly, not keep associates that have been with them for a awhile up to the same rates as those that they hired recently, and favoritism is common.

Advice to Management

The customer is not always right if someone is not treated right you should actually answering the phone, their phone, also you should be walking the floor to resolve these issues.

The Home Depot2015-10-04

The Home Depot Response

November 18, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

10. "Warehouse/ Stocker"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly enviornment and excellent customer service

Cons

no cons just looking for full time position

The Home Depot2015-07-18

The Home Depot Response

July 21, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Found 15 reviews