The Home Depot Associate Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Must create your own work/life balance" (in 532 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 932 reviews)

"Bad Employer"

Former Employee - Associate Electrical Engineer in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Electrical Engineer in Pensacola, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for Home Deopt is that you learn about housing technologies.

Cons

Home Depot expects a lot and gives very little in return. After 1 year of hard work learning the electrical dept w/a long-time Master ELectrician my hours were cut to 16 a week. And I'm no dummy, having learned a lot about electricity, and having an MS in Computer Science. In fact, this is the norm, and stores feel it. Home Depot's business model doesn't keep talented employees who have learned 'on the fly' and yet corporate yells about attrition. Want to go to school ? Forget it. Your hours will be cut and you'll be looking in Home Depot's cupboard for food. Go to Walmart. They're a great company. Steady, countable hours and you can go anywhere in the company you like.

Advice to Management

Provide a training program that enables people to certify to become electricians, etc. not just 'turn and burn'. Give standards to earn Homer badges. I always got 'You must do something exceptional' with no clear example of what exceptional was in the electrical department. I never got a Homer Award despite my hard work. On a personal note, they harangued a long-time manager who was loved by the employees for 'getting in the trenches' and fired him. I'd rather order online for my beautiful house than deal with my old store now.