The Home Depot Reviews in Auburn, AL | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Must create your own work/life balance" (in 532 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 932 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Opelika, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going, easy job, pays good, opportunities to advance, managers work along side you in every single job not just sitting back and watching

Cons

Pt don't get many hours, not much hands on training they just throw you into the mix after web based computer learning

2. "It’s okay.."

Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Opelika, AL
    Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Opelika, AL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Build sick time , pto, and healthcare as part time employee.

Cons

Not flexible with availability, cut hours tremendously in winter, communication is terrible, managers show favorism.

Advice to Management

Value ALL employees the same. Realize that one person can not be everywhere at once.

"Department Manager"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Opelika, AL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are (for the most part) great: pay is higher than average for this area and the cost of living. Health Benefits have deteriorated over the years for this company, the only affordable option has a ridiculously high deductible. Option to buy stock is great and even offers a discount.

Cons

This is not an environment for everyone. Fast paced demand and work load, must get work list from management completed prior to leaving for the day (management has to approve prior to you leaving), does not have a good work life balance. Management picks the associate that they like and will push to get them promoted over other more qualified associates and ones that they do not like will find fault in anything a demand write ups.

4. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Auburn, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

More laid back environment,
    Gain knowledge in different specialty areas

Cons

Only fast paced during sales

5. "associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Opelika, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work will give you hours and promote.

Cons

Hard to ask bosses for help. Some won't help if you have a question or concern.

"Department Supervisor"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Opelika, AL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great customer service experience, leadership training, sales and shrink planning, team work atmosphere

Cons

low pay for the responsibilities, large separation in pay to next position and didn't show signs of salary improvements

Advice to Management

Take care of Department Supervisors better

7. "So Far so Good"

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Opelika, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seems to be a lot of room for advancement, both of my supervisors have been there for a little more than a year and both have been promoted. We'll see how it works for me

Cons

Pay is not ideal for someone like me with a BA but the economy here isnt the best either. Asian car companies are major employers and they pay peanut shells.
    Some older employees tend to be disgruntled but are too set in their ways to see that management is trying to stage them for success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and I should be around for awhile as long as my pay gets in line with my long term needs and my job performance.

8. "Great Company if the store works with you"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in Opelika, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great family environment. Fast paced, and constantly changing.

Cons

Hard to move up if management is unyielding. Can have ridiculous workloads for people who become known as " workhorses"

Advice to Management

Don't squander the talent you have for potential management.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 9, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all... More

9. "Good advancement..."

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Auburn, AL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k, success sharing, sick time every month.

Cons

Upper management will tell you to do something one way, and then all of a sudden its wrong. Pro desk is the hardest department in the store because of all of the quotas. During round table all of the department heads, ASMs, and store manager talk crap about every employee. They also rank associates in top 5 associates or bottom 5 associates. If one of the bottom 5 associates is yours you are expected to write them up for everything and get them out the door. No associate discount.

Advice to Management

Back your employees. Be there for them.

10. "A Yes man store manager ruins a great career"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Opelika, AL
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Opelika, AL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home Depot invests time and money to train its managers and after working in retail management for 10 + years. Home Depot had the BEST management training, hands down. They foster an entrepreneurial spirit in their associates and give their management room to soar.

Cons

Home Depot piles work onto a few dependable associates and works them until they can no longer. If you work in garden expect no help from the rest of the store associates. No lighting in straw trailers or outside shining in, Pitch Black, however associates are expected to load pinestraw at all open business hours. The trailers have holes in the floors and I always feared they were a home to snakes. During summer months the lumber and garden, mainly garden carry the profitablity of the store, however payroll hours are not consistent with sales volume. They expect you to do it alone and to do it all.

Advice to Management

When you say yes mean it. When you say no mean it! When you make a decision stand behind it. When a store manager says yes to everything it makes nothing he says mean anything.

Showing 10 of 20,030 reviews