The Home Depot Reviews in Bellevue, WA | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 448 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 806 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Regular hours, schedule set a minimum of two to three weeks in advance and able to set required time off up to ninety days in advance, health benefits, i.e., medical insurance.
    Encourage team spirit.

Cons

Unable to make realistic assessments of man-hours require to cover work !
    Salaries are set at minimum wages levels and annual increments tend to be considerable below cost of living. Management selected to follow corporate guidelines.

Advice to Management

Start making a realistic effort to promote customer service and put a little effort into looking after staff, weed out socially acceptable emploies.

2. "You'll get out what you put in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you put on a friendly face and earnestly try to be as helpful as you can the customer will see that and thank you for it. I worked in the Lumber and Building Materials department, and often times a customer's project can be like a puzzle with you having to put together all of the pieces. I found this to be an enjoyable challenge; something to keep my brain involved in what I'm doing instead of auto-piloting through the day.

Cons

There is a lot of floor space, and I often find myself having to rush back and forth across the store to find an item for a customer or to get some heavy equipment to bring products down from the shelf. Definitely not a job you want to consider if you have trouble standing for hours at a time.

Advice to Management

The employees need something more than an inventory catalog and a cheat sheet to learn what items we have in stock and where in the store they are. Often times a customer will have drastically different results just based on who they asked for help. I've seen associates try to cobble together something from several different items, when there is a product built specifically for what the customer wants just a few shelves away.

3. "Good for College Students"

Current Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a college student, this is a great place to make some decent money and learn some basic home improvement knowledge which you can take with you wherever you go. There is a lot of opportunity to do different things around the store and there is a real sense of community amongst the associates.

Cons

If you want to climb the "Orange Ladder" you better be good at your job, it is difficult and stressful, especially as the department supervisor.

Advice to Management

Tool rental is the red headed stepchild department of the company, please support us as much as you can. We do so much and get so little support.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 30, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly... More

"All surfaces sales installation and coordination"

Former Employee - Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Designer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

the store manager at each store mostly sets the standards and pace, as well as how well that person manages and mentors the assistant managers. Good reason to work there is to find out how to juggle 40 things at once and do them all rather average - not bad really.

Cons

huge politics to keep the managers rolling in bonuses and the employees on the floor are road kill in the process. The most dishonest internal politics I have ever ever witnessed - all leveraged for management - floor people are just wipes.

Advice to Management

Start over. Hire people with college degrees. Listen to the floor people and then act on it.

5. "Its alright."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The opportunity for growth is there, but you have to be lucky. Its also nice that if you show interest in growth a HD they can provide a grant for schooling.

Cons

It is a physically demanding job at times, and dealing with the public can be very hard. It gets very repetetive over time.

Advice to Management

I have no feedback for management at the time. They can certainly improve certain things but I do not know what to offer for help.

Showing 5 of 16,211 reviews